• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2025 schools rowing

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Not sure what the obsession with Hines is Chairman. Although a great erg, is it really good in relation to weight when compared to those of Hennesy, Molonies, Ciesolka...

Wyvern
Yes, and only going to get better. Play the ball not the man.
The coaches preferred a four all from the same school, that simple, and is the usual practice (eg Aug quads of the past)

it's_marvellous2024

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello fellow Schoolboy Rowing Enthusiasts,

Its little old Glenn here. I have just been reading up on the forum and Ive just been lead to beleive that 5 first 8 rowers from St Josephs are coming on back next season, 4 of which are repeating year 12. My Thoughts: This is extremely unethical, Mkay, I beleive this is a robbery of a Scots Rennie for 2025, Although they lose monster strokemen such as J.Pinn And E. Lowe, they have left behind a hardworking Shed that future Scots boys can look up to. I Do beleive they are a Smokey for title contention. Look i am a realist they may not win but are a garunteed top three.

I hope with all my heart, for the sake of the GPS and Rowing as a sport that these rumours are not true.
Can someone inside the Joeys rowing community please confirm or deny!!!

Lots Of Love

GLENN
It may be a little early to predict Scots Boys standing on the podium in 2025.
After all, they essentially came last in 2024...

Karlschidt

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington have 3 returning:

Chandler
Denton
De Hennin

I believe all three with sub 6:15 ergs times from last season (heard from my son), I wouldn't be surprised to see the crew being melded around these three, as they were quite heavy hitters for the Newington crew last year, and to see the MRT being brought back isn't a far fetch.

George Anderson

Frank Row (1)

Chandler
Denton
De Hennin

I believe all three with sub 6:15 ergs times from last season (heard from my son), I wouldn't be surprised to see the crew being melded around these three, as they were quite heavy hitters for the Newington crew last year, and to see the MRT being brought back isn't a far fetch.
De Hennin a strong prospect in Australian Rowing. Here he will be Captain of Rowing at Newington next year. A strong force. Denton similar. Chandler I don't know about. Haven't heard of him.

What was the height of the shortest 1st VIII rowers this year (excl coxes of course)

Legs
Leg,

I did some digging and i have been lead to believe that Williams (J) the bow man of Joeys viii was 5 foot 4 inches (162 centimeters). This is truly a large feat for the young man especially at his small stature and rowing in a major rennie winning crew!

Elliot

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)

Chandler
Denton
De Hennin

I believe the coxswain from Newington is also returning? B Dewhurst.

Certainly an experienced crew for Newingtons 2025 run.

-Footyhead

Karlschidt

Bob McCowan (2)

-Footyhead
I agree, certainly with the coxing of B.Dewhurst who has had 4 years of coxing at the senior level. As well as 6 of the 8 2nd 8 rowers returning. we'll be seeing one of the strongest Newington squad we could be seeing in a while.

Glenngarry Carry

Bob McCowan (2)
Leg,

I did some digging and i have been lead to believe that Williams (J) the bow man of Joeys viii was 5 foot 4 inches (162 centimeters). This is truly a large feat for the young man especially at his small stature and rowing in a major rennie winning crew!

Elliot
Hey Elliot,

Thanks for the update! That's incredible news about Williams (J) from the Joeys VIII. Rowing at 5 foot 4 inches is no small feat, pun intended. It just goes to show that size really doesn't matter when it comes to determination and skill. And being part of a Rennie-winning crew? That's the cherry on top! Williams (J) is definitely proving that big things come in small packages.

Cheers,
GLENN

Glenngarry Carry

Bob McCowan (2)
My Thoughts for 2025

Ah, strap yourselves in, folks, because we're about to embark on a row-tastic journey with Scots College Bellevue Hill, Sydney, as they set their sights on winning the AAGPS schoolboy rowing championship!

First off, these lads are ready to paddle their way to victory with all the enthusiasm of a kangaroo on a trampoline! With their oars in hand and their eyes on the prize, they'll be rowing circles around the competition faster than you can say "G'day, mate!"

But wait, there's more than just rowing prowess at play here. These rowers have the determination of a surfer catching the perfect wave and the agility of a koala navigating eucalyptus trees. They'll be gliding through the water like a platypus on a mission, leaving their opponents in their wake like shrimp on the barbie!

And let's not forget about strategy, mates! These Scots aren't just rowing, they're playing 4D chess on water. They'll be outmaneuvering the competition with moves so slick, you'd think they were riding a wave at Bondi Beach.

So, mark my words, cobbers and sheilas, Scots College Bellevue Hill is ready to make a splash in the AAGPS schoolboy rowing championship. With their Aussie spirit, determination, and a fair dinkum attitude, they'll be raising that trophy high and shouting "strewth, we did it!"

Glenn

restarted_persone

Stan Wickham (3)
All this news about different crews with experience and quality. I can't help but point out, as some of the others have on this forum already, that the 2025 AAGPS rowing season will be one to remember.
My Thoughts for 2025

Ah, strap yourselves in, folks, because we're about to embark on a row-tastic journey with Scots College Bellevue Hill, Sydney, as they set their sights on winning the AAGPS schoolboy rowing championship!

First off, these lads are ready to paddle their way to victory with all the enthusiasm of a kangaroo on a trampoline! With their oars in hand and their eyes on the prize, they'll be rowing circles around the competition faster than you can say "G'day, mate!"

But wait, there's more than just rowing prowess at play here. These rowers have the determination of a surfer catching the perfect wave and the agility of a koala navigating eucalyptus trees. They'll be gliding through the water like a platypus on a mission, leaving their opponents in their wake like shrimp on the barbie!

And let's not forget about strategy, mates! These Scots aren't just rowing, they're playing 4D chess on water. They'll be outmaneuvering the competition with moves so slick, you'd think they were riding a wave at Bondi Beach.

So, mark my words, cobbers and sheilas, Scots College Bellevue Hill is ready to make a splash in the AAGPS schoolboy rowing championship. With their Aussie spirit, determination, and a fair dinkum attitude, they'll be raising that trophy high and shouting "strewth, we did it!"

Glenn
im going to take a wild guess here... I think you're from the Scots college.

thewolfpack

Frank Nicholson (4)
There's been a rumour floating around st joseph's college in the past week that Jasper Smeaton who stroked the 1st four in this years HOTR, is there favorite to be stroking the 1VIII in the upcoming 24/25 season.

Thoughts?

Wolf Pack

There's been a rumour floating around st joseph's college in the past week that Jasper Smeaton who stroked the 1st four in this years HOTR, is there favorite to be stroking the 1VIII in the upcoming 24/25 season.

Thoughts?

Wolf Pack
Well if this is true then Joeys will have a well balanced crew. Although from what i have seen about Smeaton (J), he doesn't seem the biggest in size but after watching the replay of the yarrala cup i can confirm his technique is up to standards. I dont think that Joeys in the 24/25 season will be in the top 3 crews to finish but by the looks of things, Joeys VIII should be a well paced boat with plenty of young talent.

Elliot

The President

Peter Burge (5)

-Footyhead
Yes, they may have some very strong returning rowers but at the end of the day, their 1st VIII came 6th. I don't think they'll have much of a chance to finish above any of the big 3 of Shore, Ignatius and Kings

The President

Heard out of shore they have given a scholarship to wil taafe he should be guaranteed to row 18. He is quite small but is very big and has an impressive work rate. Shore are set to be running their season around him as "no matter what height or size you are, hard work is the key to sucesss". Look out for the crew this year. Wouldn't be suprised if he is head of boats... Watch this space
-Smoker

Glenngarry Carry

Bob McCowan (2)
Some News coming out of Scots

Have you heard the latest on Ireland (S) ? Let me fill you in on the inside scoop. Rumor has it, Ireland just smashed a jaw-dropping 6:10 on the 2 km erg test. Yeah, you heard that right – 6 minutes and 10 seconds of pure, unadulterated power.

But here's the kicker – Ireland didn't get there overnight. They've been putting in the hard yards, grinding away in the erg room day in and day out. Early mornings, late nights – you name it, hes been there, edging himelf to the limit.

And let's not forget the mental game. Rowing isn't just about physical strength, it's about mental fortitude too. Ireland's got the mindset of a champion, channeling their focus and determination into every stroke, every split, every second.

GLENN

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
Heard out of shore they have given a scholarship to wil taafe he should be guaranteed to row 18. He is quite small but is very big and has an impressive work rate. Shore are set to be running their season around him as "no matter what height or size you are, hard work is the key to sucesss". Look out for the crew this year. Wouldn't be suprised if he is head of boats... Watch this space
-Smoker
Have heard likewise, despite a rough season this year in the low crews, his hard work in the gym will not go unnoticed.

- Bobcat

restarted_persone

Stan Wickham (3)
So to summarise what I am getting here:

1. The Mighty Mighty Glenngarry "Glenn" Carry is full of cow patties
2. SHORE's imported the next Faf of rowing. I thought this was against the guiding aspiration of the spirit of GPS. They must have offered him a position due to his excellent academic abilities as well as his musical talent, showcased through his mastery of the Oboe. He just so happened to also be exceptional at rowing... Never knew a man was capable of possesing so many talents

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
So to summarise what I am getting here:

1. The Mighty Mighty Glenngarry "Glenn" Carry is full of cow patties
2. SHORE's imported the next Faf of rowing. I thought this was against the guiding aspiration of the spirit of GPS. They must have offered him a position due to his excellent academic abilities as well as his musical talent, showcased through his mastery of the Oboe. He just so happened to also be exceptional at rowing... Never knew a man was capable of possesing so many talents
Not a likely candidate for an 'excellent academics' scholarship although does excel in piano I have heard.
-Bobcat