• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2025 schools rowing

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ah the classical G&G offseason rowing forum:

- Baseless and clearly false claims about imp****
- Claims of sub 6:10 2ks with no evidence
- xxxx will be in the First Eight
- xxxx are favourites! (People, learn that its very rare that the favourites win! St Joseph’s weren’t favourites, neither were King’s and Scots in their winning days)

Its why I love this forum so dearly.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Heard out of shore they have given a scholarship to wil taafe he should be guaranteed to row 18. He is quite small but is very big and has an impressive work rate. Shore are set to be running their season around him as "no matter what height or size you are, hard work is the key to sucesss". Look out for the crew this year. Wouldn't be suprised if he is head of boats... Watch this space
-Smoker
Taaffe rowed in the bow of the Third VIII. Year before that he was in the 4th Junior. He was a cox in the Quads. Not on a scholarship.

Rowman

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone have any predictions for Shore's 4th IV & 3rd IV? Particularly curious to see who will be protecting the Penrith City Council Cup for Shore next season.

FCD

Banned
VIII wasn’t working so elected to go a IV from the winning school. Good luck to them.
Not quite. The coaches got the GPS VIII they wanted. They told the Moloneys that they weren't up to making the GPS VIII.

The Moloneys then rowed from and for SRC, from where I'm told, they set the fastest prognostic for sweep.

The coaches who selected the slow VIII, then picked a IV without the Moloneys. The Moloneys IV went on to beat the GPS IV from the GPS VIII that went slow.

So, good luck to them indeed...that the Moloneys from SRC finally made the slow GPS VIII/IV go fast enough to make it to Junior Worlds. Despite all attempts to seat race the Moloneys out of the GPS IV.

Not quite. The coaches got the GPS VIII they wanted. They told the Moloneys that they weren't up to making the GPS VIII.

The Moloneys then rowed from and for SRC, from where I'm told, they set the fastest prognostic for sweep.

The coaches who selected the slow VIII, then picked a IV without the Moloneys. The Moloneys IV went on to beat the GPS IV from the GPS VIII that went slow.

So, good luck to them indeed...that the Moloneys from SRC finally made the slow GPS VIII/IV go fast enough to make it to Junior Worlds. Despite all attempts to seat race the Moloneys out of the GPS IV.
Any chance you could spill any race times/splits from the VIII before it was disbanded?

Wiz_Khalifa

Frank Row (1)
With the seemingly unending drought of competitiveness from high does anyone think the gps may decide to seed the crews so that the highest ranked high crew rows against other schools 2nd 8s or 1st 4s?

I think that not separating the first and second eight races throughout the season, and then having the fastest eight boats race for the major rennie on the head of the river day would lead more competitive and enjoyable racing for the rowers. It would also open the door to one school having two crews on the podium, what i think would be a great motivator for boys in lower crews.

the same could be done across the 4s fleet

With the seemingly unending drought of competitiveness from high does anyone think the gps may decide to seed the crews so that the highest ranked high crew rows against other schools 2nd 8s or 1st 4s?

I think that not separating the first and second eight races throughout the season, and then having the fastest eight boats race for the major rennie on the head of the river day would lead more competitive and enjoyable racing for the rowers. It would also open the door to one school having two crews on the podium, what i think would be a great motivator for boys in lower crews.

The problem with dropping high so far as that they have a chance is that their 1st VIII would be dropped out of the AAGPS races entirely and into the 3rd VIII, and a quick comparison of times shows that they would still would have a hard time down there.

it's_marvellous2024

Bob McCowan (2)

Wiz,

I do not think that this would be optimal as it would degrade the tradition and integrity of the Big Race.

Additionally, what would be deemed a long enough period of "failure" to warrant being dropped to a lower division?

I do like your thinking though, as a similar concept has done wonders for rugby at SBHS, Grammar and TAS.

restarted_persone

Stan Wickham (3)
I would be surprised to see many rowers actually rowing in the off-season. Most of them would be at the bigger clubs - UTS, Syd ect. Someone else will have to answer on how they're going.

Ah the classical G&G offseason rowing forum:

- Baseless and clearly false claims about imp****
- Claims of sub 6:10 2ks with no evidence
- xxxx will be in the First Eight
- xxxx are favourites! (People, learn that its very rare that the favourites win! St Joseph’s weren’t favourites, neither were King’s and Scots in their winning days)

Its why I love this forum so dearly.
Couldn't agree more. a forum this early will just be absolute bs and schoolboys talking up their respective school.

-Scrum

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
SUBC, SRC and UTS winter programmes have all started running. Word is that SUBC is mainly people from SJC, while Shore and TKS are at SRC, and SIC are at UTS.