• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Wallabies got out of jail at Suncorp in Brisbane, and won only because of a school boy rugby error by the French after full time from a line out (and a very aware McDermott).
So does Rennie select the same starting side or will he change things around to extract more go forward from the Wallabies.
What Wallabies are returning from injury?
The game looks as though it will be closely fought, so how do we improve the Wallabies game (help out Rennie here, be could use it).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If this is going to be our best side I really struggle to see too many changes beyond Tate for Gordon. With Gordon staying on the bench. I would love for Leota to come off the bench at his home ground but can't see it happening. Tupou starts as others have suggested. I would like to start Longeran soon too. I don't get how you can bench To'omua without changing the entire dynamic of the backline.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I like Tupou off the bench. AAA is strong, and gets through the meat and potatoes. Once everyone is tired Tupou can do his rampaging bull thing.

In his starts last year i thought Tupou was much less effective.

His performances off the bench have also been critical in both of our last two wins. I reckon Rennie will stick.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd be tempted to target Hooper at test #3 and rotate the looses slightly.

Whichever front row is on the bench here, will be the starting front row in #3.

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit he returns, otherwise target #3.

Other than potentially rotating Tate and Gordon I'd leave the back line alone. Let the combinations build. One possible difference - I don't see the point at all of Ikitau on the bench if he is not planned to be given time. Drop Ikitau and bring in a better generalist - Hodge. Better, give Ikitau 10 mins.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd be tempted to target Hooper at test #3 and rotate the looses slightly.

Whichever front row is on the bench here, will be the starting front row in #3.

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit he returns, otherwise target #3.

Other than potentially rotating Tate and Gordon I'd leave the back line alone. Let the combinations build. One possible difference - I don't see the point at all of Ikitau on the bench if he is not planned to be given time. Drop Ikitau and bring in a better generalist - Hodge. Better, give Ikitau 10 mins.
On the loosies, we know Rennie values workrate very highly. Since he’s said he is going to play his best side in game 2, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Naisarani drop out for a workhorse, probably Wells.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On the loosies, we know Rennie values workrate very highly. Since he’s said he is going to play his best side in game 2, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Naisarani drop out for a workhorse, probably Wells.

He did say that. He also said it wouldn't stop some rotation. You're probably right though, rotating Hooper does not seem a popular concept.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He did say that. He also said it wouldn't stop some rotation. You're probably right though, rotating Hooper does not seem a popular concept.
I think Hooper is still seen by Rennie as the best 7 so he starts this one but if we win then I think it makes sense for McReight 7 and JOC (James O'Connor) captain in the third test.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
would not be surprised to see Swain start ahead of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), also think Leota may well get a run, Naisarani to start, Wilson rested, Valetini despite a below par performance (imo) needs as many test minutes as possible so i'd'continue with him at 6 and swap with Leota later on. Hodge comes on to the bench.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think Hooper is still seen by Rennie as the best 7 so he starts this one but if we win then I think it makes sense for McReight 7 and JOC (James O'Connor) captain in the third test.

That’s what would probably happen but I’d make Hooper and McReight co-captains, assuming Hooper is on the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
would not be surprised to see Swain start ahead of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), also think Leota may well get a run, Naisarani to start, Wilson rested, Valetini despite a below par performance (imo) needs as many test minutes as possible so i'd'continue with him at 6 and swap with Leota later on. Hodge comes on to the bench.

I think we need LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s experience in this test. Darcy is still very green at this level - bench is best.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That’s what would probably happen but I’d make Hooper and McReight co-captains, assuming Hooper is on the bench.

Consistency would seem to suggest that Hooper gets a full rest if McReight starts. No 7 on the bench is very rare. I'd be entirely happy with JOC (James O'Connor) as Captain.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Consistency would seem to suggest that Hooper gets a full rest if McReight starts. No 7 on the bench is very rare. I'd be entirely happy with JOC (James O'Connor) as Captain.

Save McReight for the 3rd test if we wrap up the series on Tuesday.

If we lose the next test we won't see McReight i don't think.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Save McReight for the 3rd test if we wrap up the series on Tuesday.

If we lose the next test we won't see McReight i don't think.

Or play McReight, win the series and usher in the new generation by him being selected for game 3 as well

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If that's how it played out id be happy. Doubt it.

Hooper fought off Pocock, a captain of the Wallabies. Gill was small work in that particular argument.

Do we really think McReight is better LFG was?

I dunno, I'd have ditched Hooper a decade ago with the strengths that were coming out of Qld. But I was clearly wrong.

Do we think that McReight is further up the pecking order than LFG was? Close but tough to call. Do we think that Hooper is less than he was a decade ago?

Yeah, nah.

McReight might have a shot, but it is not yet ahead of Hooper.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hooper fought off Pocock, a captain of the Wallabies. Gill was small work in that particular argument.

Do we really think McReight is better LFG was?

I dunno, I'd have ditched Hooper a decade ago with the strengths that were coming out of Qld. But I was clearly wrong.

Do we think that McReight is further up the pecking order than LFG was? Close but tough to call. Do we think that Hooper is less than he was a decade ago?

Yeah, nah.

McReight might have a shot, but it is not yet ahead of Hooper.

McReight has timed his entry to the foray much better than LFG, simple.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Rennie has already answered this.

He issued a statement to the effect that he doesn’t understand why Hooper attracts so much negative press/opinion. And he made him captain again when there was an opportunity for change if he wanted to. McReight may get a shot in test 3 to rest Hooper, but the changing of the gaurd isn’t happening any time soon.

Also, I don’t see any possibility or rationale that McReight would be named captain at this stage.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hooper has to be there. He is without question the best 7 in Oz and maybe the best forward in that pack. I doubt we would have got home last week without him.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Apparently team announced at 11.30am with Tupou starting but aside from that nothing major.

Exactly the same team from what Ive been told with Thor and AAA swapping the only change. Gordon apparently kept his starting position over Tate. Think its good to allow the group to get some cohesion if Rennie sees this as his top 15 barring those injured, it was obvious they need some additional time together.

Reactions: TSR