• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. James Slipper
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Matt Philip
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
6. Rob Valetini
7. Michael Hooper (c)
8. Harry Wilson
9. Jake Gordon
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Matt To’omua
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Tom Wright
15. Tom Banks
Replacements
16. Lachlan Lonergan
17. Angus Bell
18. Allan Ala'alatoa
19. Darcy Swain
20. Isi Naisarani
21. Tate McDermott
22. Len Ikitau
23. Andrew Kellaway

Reactions: TSR

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm thinking that some of these players who had a poor first test (no names, no pack drill), will need to play a much better game on Tuesday night, or be ousted from the third test.
And if Rennie keeps players for the third test who play poorly again, then maybe he should be looking for his next appointment.
Whether the Wallabies win or lose the second test.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like that team.

I would have been happy for McDermott to start, but I am okay with Gordon being given a chance at redemption.

Big opportunity for Tupou. I can understand why Ala'alatoa was given the first start, and it may well be just a but of rotation at play but, for mine, Tupou is very capable of being a player who gives 50-60 outstanding minutes. He needs to do it consistently and get the little errors like the dropped balls and missed tackles out of his game. Hope he has a belter.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah besides Tate for Gordon, there wasn’t really any other changes that could/should have been made.

Maybe they’re aiming for a Tate-JOC (James O'Connor) halves pairing in the 3rd test, let Gordon-Noah develop in the mean time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I feel like the person under pressure here is Matt Taylor.

Wisemantle’s attacking strategy will continue to attract criticism until such time as the players can successfully execute if. It already cost Petaia a lot in terms of reputation and you can see Paisami has also copped some criticism. That is not to absolve the players -players need to take responsibility for their capacity to execute - but I do think that some criticism of the option taking ignores the public comments of what Rennie & Wisemantle are trying to achieve - and what is being successfully deployed by most other countries.

On the flip side our defence (and breakdown work) seems to be suffering from some rookie errors for which there should be far less latitude for either players or coaching staff.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Bit disappointed to see that you can play as poorly as Gordon did and still retain a starting spot. I'd understand him starting if Tate didn't play well, but it was night and day between the two.

He was returning from injury, and he wasn't the only poor performer, particularly in the backs. There is always a degree of rust in the Wallabies first test so it looks like he's giving every player the benefit of the doubt, at least it's a consistent approach I guess. We can call for heads if anyone doubles down.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Bit disappointed to see that you can play as poorly as Gordon did and still retain a starting spot. I'd understand him starting if Tate didn't play well, but it was night and day between the two.
I’m happy with Tate off the bench, when White returns for Bled/RC less disruption to drop Gordon for White and keep Tate in his role exploiting the tiring defence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Tate played generally well, and was better overall, but some of his passing was still below par as was his box kick (or at least the one I remember). Rennie has been pretty clear on what Tate needs to improve on to start.

Gordon can feel lucky for sure, but I am not sure McDermott can feel that hard done by. He has every chance to take the starting gig, from both Gordon & Nic White IMO, if he addresses the two things holding him back.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When White returns i think McDermott will retain bis bench spot and Gordon will drop out entirely. I think Rennie wants someone on on that can hit a box kick that doesn't go sideways. Probably wishful thinking on his part but its still more likely to be Gordon than McDermott.

White walks back into this team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
When White returns i think McDermott will retain bis bench spot and Gordon will drop out entirely. I think Rennie wants someone on on that can hit a box kick that doesn't go sideways. Probably wishful thinking on his part but its still more likely to be Gordon than McDermott.

Agree with this but feel for Tate. Coming off the bench, doing the job well and out-playing the starter - but gated behind the "finisher" tag.

I do expect Gordon to have knocked off the cobwebs all the same, ditto To'omua.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

He does at the moment. But it’s not like White is a world better. And it’s not like the issues in Tate’s game are that hard to address. I’d be very disappointed if White is still our first choice half by World Cup time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sure - but he has far more potential than that. And both his issues are capable of being addressed in the short term. It’s not like his left to right is terrible. And it’s improved from last year. It just needs to improve further.

His box kicking is a bit harder to judge IMO because he rarely does for the Reds but, when he does, I generally think it’s been okay. But Rennie clearly isn’t convinced.

Fix those two things and combine with a his already top shelf running game, his speed and his defence and you have top shelf half capable of matching anyone.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There's nothing wrong with being an effective bench player.

An effective bench 9 is very important. Wallaby fans should be excited that Tate's game really seems to suit this role.

No one remembers the names of bench players.
Like i tell my kids “if you ain't first, you’re last”

/s

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
In horse racing terms Gordon should be better for the run. If he doesn’t run well second up and performs as poorly as last week , I’m not willing to back him again. It’s not as if we are playing the top notch sides being France B. He has only played a few tests however I’m yet to see anything at this level to suggest a starting place is deserved. Hopefully I’m wrong.