• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Banks was pretty good, I’d say. Yeah, he doesn’t distribute a hell of a lot but you know that when you pick him.

I don't get the Banks hate (quickly adds, not from you UTG). He seriously has some talent and surely we simply find a way to unleash it.

AND then there is the argument of "if not Banks then who?". I don't like the various answer to that one. And Banks has a chance.

Stick I say.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Individual performances were better on average across the team (apart from one obvious shocker in the outside backs). We had a lot of ball and not convinced that Lolesio is a natural ball player with most of our breaks came from one-off running from one individual.
Dependent on fatigue of players I’d look at starting Ikitau over Paisami (he’s played a lot of football and ball security is still a slight issue), replace Isi with Swinton and Wright/ Lonergan with anyone fit in the squad.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
For the second week in a row we have been totally outclassed and outmuscled at the breakdown. Our backs are programmed and play the same way each time they get the ball.
No point waiting for it to change as it won't. You only have to listen to the coach, players and commentators talking about 'positives' to know there is absolutely no idea of how to address these weaknesses and they are comforted by the fact there will be no real critical evaluation or consequence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't get the Banks hate (quickly adds, not from you UTG). He seriously has some talent and surely we simply find a way to unleash it.

AND then there is the argument of "if not Banks then who?". I don't like the various answer to that one. And Banks has a chance.

Stick I say.
Banks got better as the game went on. Injected himself well in the second half and created some opportunities. Bit ropey in the first 30mins. I'd stick for now.
The 10-12-13 axis is not creating enough opportunities yet. Not laying that at one player's feet but it isn't really working at the moment. My gut feel is To'omua is the biggest block in this, and maybe Paisami at 12 might be better. I get why Rennie wants an experienced head next to Lolesio at the moment. Once JOC (James O'Connor) back I'd like to see some tweaking there. I thought Lolesio had a pretty good shift, Paisami a bit quieter than usual.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Banks got better as the game went on. Injected himself well in the second half and created some opportunities. Bit ropey in the first 30mins. I'd stick for now.
The 10-12-13 axis is not creating enough opportunities yet. Not laying that at one player's feet but it isn't really working at the moment. My gut feel is To'omua is the biggest block in this, and maybe Paisami at 12 might be better. I get why Rennie wants an experienced head next to Lolesio at the moment. Once JOC (James O'Connor) back I'd like to see some tweaking there. I thought Lolesio had a pretty good shift, Paisami a bit quieter than usual.
Lolesio needs a bigger body he can pass to under pressure to get over the ad line. I think Petaia at 14 in place of Wright running off his hip would really help him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lolesio needs a bigger body he can pass to under pressure to get over the ad line. I think Petaia at 14 in place of Wright running off his hip would really help him.
Well, Petaia would definitely be an upgrade on Wright (currently). I still think Wright could become really good.

Reactions: mst

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Can someone explain the laws around the ruck and offside line? I think they must have changed since last week ? I think it started in the first 5 min when wallabies were on attack there was a ruck. And 35 Seconds later a French player just came and picked the ball up out of it and won a penalty for some reason?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, I thought there were some good signs in here, It will takes time. Unlike the Kiwi central system we have 5 teams playing different games plans you can see it will take time to them all to gel. Very much a work in progress and its loks like they are on a good learning curve.

Good to see Rene persist with his selections and back players.

To'omua sadly is past his best and I think it time he was let go of. Gordon having mixed bag and it just looks like a lack of game time. He is better than his performance tonight.

Tough for AAA and his apprentices in that last scrum. A first year Super Rugby player who will be a Wallaby and Bell who is also showing good signs.

I also think Aussie players are starting to show the lack of game time they are getting. A short SRAU and TT, then nothing while the French have played week-in-week-out for most of 2021. off the back of the first half on the season in 2020. Game skill came when you play regularly.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think that fans are really "getting" this game. We have two weirdly and crazily divergent game plans hitting one-another. One which does not have it's A crew (France). The other where the crew is building into the game plan.

In some ways those strategies and success rates are a slow speed train crash. In other ways it is what both teams need to develop hitting each other right now.

France coach has brought the Welch D first game plan. Every time on a KR (kick return), we go "wow, what a great run by MK (or someone else) pity we lost the ball in contact". The French are going, "how easy was that guiding them right to the designated tackler, oh and if they spin it early, perfect interception". It is a complete plan by the French. It is nothing like lucky. Just planned.

What we want is a combination of "play what is in front of you", and "intelligent kicking game". You can't manage an intelligent kicking game against a perfectly implemented French plan. Unless your kicking strategy is WAY more advanced than ours is. And the French D isn't perfect here either. So we get this sort of strange head-to-head where neither is really doing what is meant to happen BUT it opens learning experiences for EVERYONE.

But we sure as hell picked up win the "play what is in front of you".

I don't know, but getting the crew to buy in to that is the first step. From tonight we are bought in. Like REALLY bought in. We just lapsed on the control part.

There is so much gold here for both coaching teams it is crazy. And we have a 4 day turnaround. With a determining outcome from the game. The exact opposite of a dead rubber. This series is live, very alive, and the players have grudges. Wow.

Wow.

This is the best learning/improvement I have seen for the WBs in a long time. I think it's the same for French depth. The rugby world would be foolish if they are not watching closely.

Sensational game. Thanks France and well done.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

I think this is spot on - I dont feel that To'omua is asking enough questions in attack at the moment and particularly the 10/12 combo isnt breaking the line enough. A 10/12/13 Combo of O'Connor/Paisami/Ikitau is worth trying next game. Paisami at 13 just running straight and hard isnt creating enough deception for what is a very good French defence.

Banks and Gordon were much better tonight. Whilst Banks hasnt had an outstanding Wallabies game at 15 yet he was safe and made good run/pass decisions tonight. Maybe thats the "confidence" game he needs. Gordons pass was excellent tonight and he was more decisive with less stepping before his pass.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think this is spot on - I dont feel that To'omua is asking enough questions in attack at the moment and particularly the 10/12 combo isnt breaking the line enough. A 10/12/13 Combo of O'Connor/Paisami/Ikitau is worth trying next game. Paisami at 13 just running straight and hard isnt creating enough deception for what is a very good French defence.

Banks and Gordon were much better tonight. Whilst Banks hasnt had an outstanding Wallabies game at 15 yet he was safe and made good run/pass decisions tonight. Maybe thats the "confidence" game he needs. Gordons pass was excellent tonight and he was more decisive with less stepping before his pass.
Agree with that. Gordon was much improved. I'd be interested to see he and McDermott switched next game - see if McDermott's running game works as well in the first 50-60 mins as the latter 20-30, and whether it might spark some more front foot ball or not. Not sure though. I didn't feel we got enough fast recycle ball (from the breakdown participants) in the first half to allow it, though, so I suspect McDermott might have been a bit hamstrung too. I suspect Rennie might keep them as is though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For the second week in a row we have been totally outclassed and outmuscled at the breakdown. Our backs are programmed and play the same way each time they get the ball.
No point waiting for it to change as it won't. You only have to listen to the coach, players and commentators talking about 'positives' to know there is absolutely no idea of how to address these weaknesses and they are comforted by the fact there will be no real critical evaluation or consequence.

I thought Slipper was honest about getting fluffybunnyed at the breakdown and seemed suitably displeased. But yeah, some of those guys didn't seem to give a shit they lost.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

For goodness sake.

Yes working the 10-12-13 channel with a new fly half could adjust things. But fuck me, what do you want from an developing 10? Test #1 was an introduction that largely was designed to protect him. Test #2 put him in the Lion's maw and he did, well OK. To'omua sits outside that decision but defintitely added maturity - to a whole lot of things. And then lets throw Paisami under a bus. NOT.

Yes if we have fitness we revert to JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and many of the constraints that were necessary for Lolesio simply disappear. But we have set a new 10 toward WB Internationals and the process has been working well. No, not well. Sensationally.

Let's not slice To'omua's throat as a sacrifice either. He did his building (10) and calming (everyone) job very well.