• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangerousdave

Frank Nicholson (4)
I hope thats just the mainly dailys one sided skew coming through, I wouldn't travel there to watch a rugby team, I would go to North Sydney Oval however.

I think it makes sense to share the home games between the grounds of the different clubs. A 7-9 round season means 4-5 home games, so that's one each for Gordon, Manly, Norths and Warringah.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ad works even better in hindsight.

Maybe the ad for 2014 should use some of that footage and splice it with those players playing for the Wallabies?

I.e. look what this can achieve.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Also there should be a car roaming the field. Either team can hijack the car at any time and use it to their advantage.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely underwhelmed by the ARU's communications. This week's announcement leads to many more questions than answers. It's a total change in direction from the last announcement by Pulver mid year where he outlined the Super B concept.

As far as my online research extends there's been no statements from the ARU to state the Super B is not going ahead, but as far as other Pacific Nations Cup teams are concerned they are expecting to play our Super reserve teams in March / April.

Let's be frank - wtf have they been doing at ARU headquarters? Their admin costs have blown out as has been well documented, but what have they been doing?

It's bullshit that they'll pull together a cohesive, sustainable brand new national comp to start in August when they are still asking for expressions of interest. They don't have any clue or can't communicate what entities are going to form the clubs.

Everyone wants a third tier but really are the ARU able to deliver?

The ARU is a rotten fish head and sadly I think it will all end in tears... Again.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
thanks for that.. that was agreat ad campaign. really hit the spot. wow seeing all those guys and a few that later put on the gold, its great.

I actually think it was such a great ad campaign that it may be worth looking to do an updated version of it instead of a completely new campaign.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Ok, so the ARU yesterday had 8 expressions of interest including from a conglomerate Northern Sydney side, USyd by itself and I'm sure many other deserving entities (rumours have included Newcastle, Adelaide and Western Sydney)

We know really that at the minimum the comp WILL include

Canberra
Perth
Melbourne
2-3 sydney sides
2 brisbane sides

Assuming that this is the setup, which teams are you barracking to be included in the NRC for the god of rugby?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
North Sydney Oval is a great venue overall but it will always be somewhat inferior as a rugby ground due to it being an oval.

Basing NRC teams at rectangular fields surely makes sense to increase the likelihood of fans attending.

I agree with this and hope that a better option than Manuka can be found in Canberra. Not only is it oval, but seems to be a whole lot bigger than most other cricket type grounds. Parking is also a complete shithouse with the parking inspectors usually having a great day out booking anyone who can't get into the very limited parking available.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What's this Pacific Cup thingy being played in March / April featuring 5 Aussie teams? Did that supersede the Super B concept? Are our presumably reserve teams going to be competitive against tier b international teams (Fiji, Samoa, Japan! Argentina B)?

Are the players engaged in this comp going to be contracted by Super franchises, centrally or by their NRC franchises?

The Pacific Nations Cup earlier this year (or was it last year?) included games between Fiji, Samoa and Japan and the back up squad for the Brumbies and I think also the Waratahs and Reds. The Aus teams were not part of the Cup and the results didn't count, but the Brumbies squad was much too strong for the international teams.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

God save us. It's worse than I thought:

"The ARU is planning to stage a social media campaign in the new year where it will invite fans to submit ideas on what ruled [We used to spend a lot on sub editors] could be tweaked, removed or added to make the games more interesting.

"The ARU will encourage fans to think as left-field as they can and even harness concepts from other sports, such as cricket-style powerplays within games that perhaps prohibit kicking."

275734-f5708614-62b2-11e3-bb71-e2c853748ae0.jpg

If all the twitterers can come up with ideas that are really "left-field" and loopy we might be able to fill all those empty seats behind Bill.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm with Wobbly. Waste of time even talking about it or supporting. Same for Super Rugby and the Wallabies. Pick an NRL team and move on people. Rugby is done.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ok, so the ARU yesterday had 8 expressions of interest including from a conglomerate Northern Sydney side, USyd by itself and I'm sure many other deserving entities (rumours have included Newcastle, Adelaide and Western Sydney)

We know really that at the minimum the comp WILL include

Canberra
Perth
Melbourne
2-3 sydney sides
2 brisbane sides

Assuming that this is the setup, which teams are you barracking to be included in the NRC for the god of rugby?

Western Sydney and Newcastle. Western Sydney as well, that's the area in which I was raised and Newcastle because I think they could provide a strong location as a focal point for country rugby.

I find the Adelaide EOI (confirmed via twitter) interesting. More to do with their ability to field a competitive team than as a destination which I think in say 5 years or so should be considered as an expansion location for the NRC anyway.

T

Train Without a Station

RF,

I'd go with exactly what you said. No new areas. They simply won't have the players to compete alone, which will mean players will need to relocated.

Brisbane should have 2 because they have the second largest base and therefore beyond non-Wallaby Reds and any Perth or Melbourne discards who come back to QLD for it, have the best ability to supplement them.

Likewise Sydney with 3 teams to make it an even 8, and them having the largest pool.

The last 3 pick themselves.

Fuck Adelaide, Fuck Newcastle, Fuck Tasmania, and fuck anywhere else where we would need to relocated players from one of those 5 locations in order to bolster (or likely provide the bulk) of numbers.

Ideally long term the ARU should be identifying how they can grow in these areas (numbers wise for the Southern States and financially for Newcastle) with the view of expanding to a 2 tier system like NZ has that would allow this in the near future though. I just don't think now is the time for them. We should be looking to consolidate a successful comp, have it financially sustainable and have all games televised. I don't believe these regions would allow for this right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.