• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

6 Nations 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
My brief thoughts on the games:

England Wales: fairly dour affair, foden and ashton were lively and Toby Flood was alright but made a good break to set up the try.
Jonathan Davies' line for the welsh try was really nice faded out as he ran onto the ball. James Simpson Daniel has been called into the squad and hopefully will get some gametime against Italy and Scotland.

France Scotland: Didn't watch all of it but FTD and Mermoz looked pretty nifty. Parra is class for his age and runs the team really well. Medard was electric but I would like to see Heymans and Clerc in the lineup. Heymans at 15 is the most exciting choice ever, he is exceptional in attack but a tard under the highball and in defence.

Ireland Italy: Oh dear Gordon D'Arcy, learn how to catch pal Fergus McFadden is pressing hard. BOD through a dodgy pass and Keith Earls let a couple go as well. Italy played averagely and Ireland were poor. Lucky to escape with a win, ROG did his bit and it looked so simple for them.

C

CanadianRugby

My thoughts on the games:
Actually enjoyed the Wales England game. Very physical if not the most perfectly played game. I´m a big Stephen Jones fan but he is off his game right now. The knock he took at the beginning of the game may have put him off. Hook looks pretty good, but he looks better when he stands in the line, instead of at fullback. Should see him at 10 or 12 next game. England looked like the could get into soem good form before too long, but I wasn´t impressed with Hartley much, seemed to run around without doing much. That new 6 for England looks a threat for the future.

Haskell and Powell drive me crazy. Especially Powell. What an idiot. I can´t understand starting someone like that who is consistently makes bad decisions during a game. Bad penalties, wasting ball. Just because he is big doesn´t mean he should be started. Ryan Jones needs his starting spot.

France and Scotland are both full of talent. Joe Ansboro and Richie Gray are full of talent, Evans is a great player. Dan Parks had an awful day kicking. His he seemed to waste chances to run at the French and instead kicked it straight to French back three, which was unproductive. The French defensive line speed was very slow. The Scottish seemed to get a good run up before they crashed into the line. Personally I would want to get Richie Gray before he got going.

Didn´t see the Irish/Italy game, but based on descriptions I won´t be rushing out to watch it either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That Italy v. Ireland game was pretty dire. I wrote before the game that there should have been more Leinster players; well it looked like there were too many of them afterwards.

Ireland seemed to be playing against themselves too much and were their own worst enemies - a bit similar to Wales and to some extent, even the admirable Scots. A case in point: Lukey comes in off the wing to tackle somebody when he was already covered (by Drico, IIRR) and McLean scores in the corner.

Poor old Mike Ross got his big chance to start at THP and Castro ate him up. You could just about see him sucking on the bones afterwards. Mind you: it looked like Castro could be the bum boy of referee Poite as he seemed to be his favourite. Though he had another weak game one thing about Poite is that he is not afraid to use cards. I'd like to see him ref a Super game with McCaw in it.

I'm not sure if Buckley is healthy as I write this and it could be that he gets another shot at THP at the expense of Ross, but maybe they'll think Ross will do better with get a more sympathetic ref. That French front row is even better than the Italians I reckon; so something will have to be done.

That was one of the worst backrow performances I've seen for a while from Ireland. It wasn't surprising because they're all runners and don't offload a lot. O'Brien was decent at 8 but will probably lose his place if Heaslip is healthy. Leamy was poor at 6 and Wallace not much better at 7.

After bagging DOC before the game I thought he was one of Ireland's better forwards. POC was not back to his pomp yet but will be better for the run.

I didn't think scrummie TOL was that great and wouldn't mind seeing Stringer who is limited but at least he gets the ball delivered the quickest in world rugby.

But I digress.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
what I found strange about the Italy Ireland game was that ireland spent 78 minutes struggling to keep the ball and make any progress, but as soon as they go behind on the board they stole the kickoff and made 20 meters without even trying to set up the drop goal attempt. Did they click under pressure, or did itealy fold under it? (no WWII jokes)

M

macg101

Lee Grant: I actually thought the ref was being a bit harsh on Ross on this occasion, the scrum was as good as i've seen it since 2008 and thats saying something (pretty pathetic I know) Ross will start the next game for sure, but the man is as lazy around ruck time. French scrum will win them the game against us for sure, so we have to try and negate that influence if we can.

DOC was class the man is a dynamo when he gets criticism!
POC was decent as usual, will get better

Rugbysmartarse: You have touched on a wider issue of the Irish mentality which I thought we had banished just before WC 2007, the inability to play when fancied. its a pain in the ass to tell you the truth! Although lets face it going behind with 5 mins to go was always the plan... makes sure we are underdogs for the rest of the tourny.

Apart from that

Scotland impressed me, Gray is quite good from what i've seen of him

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Lee Grant: I actually thought the ref was being a bit harsh on Ross on this occasion, the scrum was as good as i've seen it since 2008 and thats saying something (pretty pathetic I know) Ross will start the next game for sure, but the man is as lazy around ruck time. French scrum will win them the game against us for sure, so we have to try and negate that influence if we can.

You'll have to wait until Servat and Mas leave the field beacause when Guirado and Ducalcon came in, the scrum was pretty weak. This time it will be Marconnet instead of Ducalcon, a bit old but still stronger and dirtier than Ducalcon. Old school prop.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You'll have to wait until Servat and Mas leave the field beacause when Guirado and Ducalcon came in, the scrum was pretty weak. This time it will be Marconnet instead of Ducalcon, a bit old but still stronger and dirtier than Ducalcon. Old school prop.

The Wallabies found out the same thing. Even when hooker Servat went off injured in the first half you could see the difference, probably because Guirado is such a pussycat. Then when LHP Domingo went off we didn't have to worry. I rate the little bugger.

As for Harinordoquy: it was disgraceful that he was dropped from the 22 against Oz. Chabal had played well in the match before but they could have played Hairy Donkey on the flank instead of Bonnaire. I recall that he has played there when Picamoles was 8. He had a top game v. Scotland.

Marconnet? I never thought the old bugger would wear the France shirt again but there you go. Wasn't wanted by SF and now he's smelling like roses at Biarritz. Scrumming that well or looking good because of Johnstone on the other side?

sudrugby - talking of Biarritz props: what is the story of Barcella's injury these days? It's probably not so important with Domingo doing so well now at LHP for France, but is he any chance to make the RWC squad?

M

macg101

good stuff from England.. boring though.. was hoping Italy would give em a good tight game...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm getting very worried about England. They're coming good at exactly the right time, they will be genuine WC contenders soon.

Aston.. 6 tries in 2 games. Italy or not that is impressive.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
My boys have come good

Toby Flood 4 or 5 linebreaks.

Hape offloading like a beast, Ashton 6 tries in 2 games.

And London irish won for the first time in 7 In the prem.

Corbisiero with a cracking debut as well

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Wallabies found out the same thing. Even when hooker Servat went off injured in the first half you could see the difference, probably because Guirado is such a pussycat. Then when LHP Domingo went off we didn't have to worry. I rate the little bugger.

As for Harinordoquy: it was disgraceful that he was dropped from the 22 against Oz. Chabal had played well in the match before but they could have played Hairy Donkey on the flank instead of Bonnaire. I recall that he has played there when Picamoles was 8. He had a top game v. Scotland.

Marconnet? I never thought the old bugger would wear the France shirt again but there you go. Wasn't wanted by SF and now he's smelling like roses at Biarritz. Scrumming that well or looking good because of Johnstone on the other side?

sudrugby - talking of Biarritz props: what is the story of Barcella's injury these days? It's probably not so important with Domingo doing so well now at LHP for France, but is he any chance to make the RWC squad?

I read on another forum that Barcella has already pulled out of the RWC...

R

Richard D. James

So we've lost our last two games (and our last two WC games) to England and could meet them in the Semis... Not cool.

Even though it was Italy, an England backline like that is scary and weird to me.

Nevertheless, someone needs to tell Chris Ashton he's crap at swan dives. You gotta fully commit to them.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I've found a reason to watch England play "rugby".

Too hopefully see Ashton get smashed. He annoys the shit out of me. And talk about being in the right place at the right time. We have to wait for England to play France to see if england are that good.

And one more thing Why the he'll do Italy even play in the 6 nations. I really hope the pumas are prepared to join the tri nations next year.

Go the force!!!!

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Hook at 10 for Wales where he belongs. Jones was taking that side nowhere in the new attacking form of our game. His beautiful step and fend and pop to Williams for the first try was exactly why he needs to be at fly half for Wales.

Flood also really showing he is the man for England at 10. They're really producing a quality side at Twickenham.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So we've lost our last two games (and our last two WC games) to England and could meet them in the Semis... Not cool.

Even though it was Italy, an England backline like that is scary and weird to me.

Nevertheless, someone needs to tell Chris Ashton he's crap at swan dives. You gotta fully commit to them.

With his swan-dive technique, sooner or later he will lose the ball in the uplift of the arms and look like a total goose. I am not a fan of any swan-diving (Gits, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)), and especially the finger pointing to the crowd from 22m out. The commentators were having a veritable polishing competition in the box over Ashton's exploits too, but he did back up well and get into position to score them, even though 2 involved falling over from 1m.
I noticed that Joubert was very strict on releasing the tackled player, but farcically allowed the tackled player at times to lie there holding the ball for 5 seconds. England employed the pillars well too at times - players flying through then just loitering around offside getting in defenders ways.
And Italy were crap, very crap. Fell off tackles, lineout a shambles. England played well, no doubt, but Italy made then shine even more.
The England backs are going very well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No disrespect to England but Italy suck. Tom Palmer had a blinder. English forwards were on fire. I look forward to the playing the French. Martin Johnson is proving to be a bloody good coach.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought everyone in the team was shit-scared of Johnson. Ashton came out publicly and said he did it because the coach told him not to. I know he was a mungo but I cannot believe he could be that dumb that he didn't know that Mr Johnson was going to find a way to make him pay for his blatant disregard of instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.