• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC 2023

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Reds Brad, I see the "traditional easy beat" comment regarding Villa. They have been steadily improving over the course of the last few years, in particular the junior grades. Gone are the days of Marist winning every age level. It is a good thing IMO.

cgos

Frank Row (1)
that's a very hot take in your opinion on Villa and the Pats. I struggle to believe it will be that close. Peters vs Laurie is a game on the round for me. A team coming from back-to-back premierships against a team that has nothing left to lose. if Peters brings on energy from their returning from injury 10 Wallace charlie the game is sent in another direction. I believe it will be a forwards-dominated game and the backline will rarely see the ball as that's been lauries play style for the past few years. If peters utilise their backline accordingly edge lauries will be in for a shocker
Think you're underestimating the Lauries backline here John.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
So pretty much nothing has changed at Marist.
I'm curious why you're apparently so keen to put shit on the "whole of school" rugby development program which Richard Graham introduced at MCA just 3 months ago based on results of one round only, apart from the fact that you've said previously that you're an SLC man.

Personally, I think that this "bottom up" program aimed at improving the rugby skills of boys from Year 5 onwards will pay some real dividends over the next few years, but even if you're right that "nothing has changed at Marist" (at least not yet) I'm not sure why MCA would be too worried given that the "head to head" results at First XV level since the advent of the AIC comp in 1999, and before the "Richard Graham era" starting in 2023, are something like this (give or take) :

MCA v SLC 20/4
MCA v Villa 22/2
MCA v Iona 19/5
MCA v Padua 21/3
MCA v SPC 23/1
MCA v SPLC 20/4
MCA v SEC 21/3

I would have thought that's a pretty reasonable baseline, so if I'm right and Marist rugby does improve significantly over the next few years then happy days, but if "nothing changes" then that's probably not too bad either.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Reds Brad, I see the "traditional easy beat" comment regarding Villa. They have been steadily improving over the course of the last few years, in particular the junior grades. Gone are the days of Marist winning every age level. It is a good thing IMO.
Agree it's good. It's poor reading for villa success vs marist over the last 10- 15 years in the first XV and elsewhere. One back is always good.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
I'm curious why you're apparently so keen to put shit on the "whole of school" rugby development program which Richard Graham introduced at MCA just 3 months ago based on results of one round only, apart from the fact that you've said previously that you're an SLC man.

Personally, I think that this "bottom up" program aimed at improving the rugby skills of boys from Year 5 onwards will pay some real dividends over the next few years, but even if you're right that "nothing has changed at Marist" (at least not yet) I'm not sure why MCA would be too worried given that the "head to head" results at First XV level since the advent of the AIC comp in 1999, and before the "Richard Graham era" starting in 2023, are something like this (give or take) :

MCA v SLC 20/4
MCA v Villa 22/2
MCA v Iona 19/5
MCA v Padua 21/3
MCA v SPC 23/1
MCA v SPLC 20/4
MCA v SEC 21/3

I would have thought that's a pretty reasonable baseline, so if I'm right and Marist rugby does improve significantly over the next few years then happy days, but if "nothing changes" then that's probably not too bad either.
Premierships count in First XV.

Marist has traditionally had a good rugby program based on the large number of decent rugby coaches on staff compared to other schools. Compare that to AFL in which they don't have strong/big AFL clubs close by and coaches on staff so aren't as competitive.

Marist issue across the last decade has been converting success across those grades into consistent first XV premierships as its where coaching and preparation picks up in most schools. However as stated a 7-5 win for the aggregate vs Villa - is this a pass/fail or it seems to be more of a wait and see from the above post.

For all intents and purposes, Grahams squad program whittling down into a first XV has been a failure based on the week one loss to Villa.

Best of luck vs Padua!

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Red are you really a Laurie's Old Boy? Why the grief with Richard Graham? Hopefully he has researched track and field training on you tube so MCA can have continued athletics success.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Red are you really a Laurie's Old Boy? Why the grief with Richard Graham? Hopefully he has researched track and field training on you tube so MCA can have continued athletics success.
Yes I am!

If he can't keep that rolling it will be a tragedy.

In the scheme of many posts here on his sign up, general support and then posts on the first XV team make up of year 12s it's pretty fair game to ask questions.

Fwiw my school had some huge losses in a few A sides

Rugby tragic101

Bob McCowan (2)
Official stats from the Marist v Villa were 13 wins and 13 losses for both teams. Think it was pretty even across the park guys.
Expecting Marist though to get the win this weekend over a Padua side who will be missing Mitch Rogers due to league commitments. Big loss for Padua here as clearly Mitch is one of their key players. Expecting Peters to struggle against Lauries, don't see them putting up to much of a fight. At Villa park, Villa should take care of St Pats who don't seem to be as strong this year. The other game will be interesting with Iona facing Eddies. I think Iona has too much class even without their best 3 players, Will Lane, Jack Leo, and Hopo Leota. I think Iona win this one.
Thoughts?

John Howard

Frank Row (1)
I was quite disappointed with Iona's performance on the weekend with a shameful loss to lauries by a 31-5 score. As an iona old boy who won the premiership in 2013 its sad to see the downward spiral Iona rugby has faced. My nephew, Harry Murphy a popular Laurie's grade 12 has given me insight on a prediction of the ladder. I believe itll be a shared premier between Eddies, Padua and Lauries. News about Craig Sterrehia the new head of sport of iona who moved from Villanova should be a good addition to the 4178 soldiers. Furthermore, through analysing the live footage of the round 1 games there were some noticable plays that i reckon need to be mentioned. Firstly, the peters halfback decided to launch a rocket of a ball straight into the number 4's head could be a questionable decision in a critical moment of the game. Secondly, the St Patricks attempt to 'sack' the opposing mauls may not be the greatest decision, as it was shown to put some points on them. To sum up i believe this year will show a great competition with many star players able to make core memories in their last year of school boy rugby

I was quite disappointed with Iona's performance on the weekend with a shameful loss to lauries by a 31-5 score. As an iona old boy who won the premiership in 2013 its sad to see the downward spiral Iona rugby has faced. My nephew, Harry Murphy a popular Laurie's grade 12 has given me insight on a prediction of the ladder. I believe itll be a shared premier between Eddies, Padua and Lauries. News about Craig Sterrehia the new head of sport of iona who moved from Villanova should be a good addition to the 4178 soldiers. Furthermore, through analysing the live footage of the round 1 games there were some noticable plays that i reckon need to be mentioned. Firstly, the peters halfback decided to launch a rocket of a ball straight into the number 4's head could be a questionable decision in a critical moment of the game. Secondly, the St Patricks attempt to 'sack' the opposing mauls may not be the greatest decision, as it was shown to put some points on them. To sum up i believe this year will show a great competition with many star players able to make core memories in their last year of school boy rugby
Is Harry M a credible source though, I wouldn't believe everything from a random lauries student, either way i can see padua or pats going all the way. Villanova is a good pick too.

John Howard

Frank Row (1)
Is Harry M a credible source though, I wouldn't believe everything from a random lauries student, either way i can see padua or pats going all the way. Villanova is a good pick too.
Mate, how dare you say something like that to me. My family is a powerful force to be reckoned with. My nephew Harry Murphy is an honest gentlemen who has numeorus sporting, academic and cultural involvements at Laurie's. So yes, he is infact a credible source considering he is apart of the marching band that plays at Lauries home games. He has also ran out water a couple times, so he is quite well recognized amongst the first 15. Do not dare try and offend me and my family again or I will report you.

Mate, how dare you say something like that to me. My family is a powerful force to be reckoned with. My nephew Harry Murphy is an honest gentlemen who has numeorus sporting, academic and cultural involvements at Laurie's. So yes, he is infact a credible source considering he is apart of the marching band that plays at Lauries home games. He has also ran out water a couple times, so he is quite well recognized amongst the first 15. Do not dare try and offend me and my family again or I will report you.
Mate, I am not having a crack I am just seeking clarification on the social level Doctor Murphy is on. Also, what do you mean by he has run out of water? Do you not take care of your poor poor nephew. Pats will take it all the way!

My bets for this weekend

Peter’s vs Laurie’s.
I believe Peter’s were unlucky in Round 1 and have injured players coming back so will be a different side. And Laurie’s aren’t the same side as last year so Peter’s by 21. The 8,9,10 duo in Peter’s is unbeatable, possibly the best in the comp. Might give Laurie’s a little run in. Some may assume it is the Upset of the round but I know this will happen

SEC vs Iona: could be a low scoring game due to the lack of attack in the sides so I believe a 10 point win to Eddie’s. Eddie’s front row will tear Iona to pieces

Villa vs SPC: Villa obviously doing well. So Villa by 7. But I reckon there will be a controversial call in the game

Padua vs Marist: could be game of the round, but I don’t back marists against padua. So padua by 40+

Playitstraight

Bob McCowan (2)
My bets for this weekend

Peter’s vs Laurie’s.
I believe Peter’s were unlucky in Round 1 and have injured players coming back so will be a different side. And Laurie’s aren’t the same side as last year so Peter’s by 21. The 8,9,10 duo in Peter’s is unbeatable, possibly the best in the comp. Might give Laurie’s a little run in. Some may assume it is the Upset of the round but I know this will happen

SEC vs Iona: could be a low scoring game due to the lack of attack in the sides so I believe a 10 point win to Eddie’s. Eddie’s front row will tear Iona to pieces

Villa vs SPC: Villa obviously doing well. So Villa by 7. But I reckon there will be a controversial call in the game

Padua vs Marist: could be game of the round, but I don’t back marists against padua. So padua by 40

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Summary of Villa Pats. Pats were gritty and never gave up. A lot of tough kids in that side but Villa never really looked threatened. IMO Villa left 2 or 3 tries out there through backline white line fever. Also it seemed apparent there was a “Marist Hangover” going on in the Villa boys heads.

Best for Pats was the Hooker and the 12.
Best for Villa was the 8 and the 7. Also the Villa 9 and 10 looked pretty composed and made some significant plays.

If Villa can get their backline sorted out they could be the real deal. But they play SLC next week and that will tell all I guess? The Pats 9 came off with a blue card - hope he is ok. Livestream is great.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
to be fair to Pats, if anyone goes in to play against them and thinks they are easy beats they are in for a shock. Pats will shake some cages - take them lightly at your peril is my call.

Agree that Villa V SLC is shaping as the match of the round.