• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC 2023

roberto lemonski

Frank Row (1)
I beg to differ. Storming the corn in my eyes meant, being an away game, Villanova's support would turn up in numbers. And so they did. From where I was sitting (close to the Lauries supporter banner), I could easily tell that Villanova did in fact 'storm the corn'.

For St Laurences to even question themselves, and to have their backs up against the wall on home soil, trying to prove why Runcorn is theirs, is a little bit worrying. Huge props to Villanova for clearly outperforming in the crowd and having more supporters than the home team which was seen in the tunnel and definitely in the tucky line.

The energy was felt throughout the day and their tunnel sent shockwaves around the park. It's great to see that spirit is still alive in the AIC comp for one school at least. Nether the less, congrats to St Laurences. Great game to watch from both ends.
light drizzle not a storm

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
A little bit off topic but does anyone know if Ambrose Treacy College has a legitimate case in joining the AIC? Their trial as a guest in some of the sports would be coming to an end soon?

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
It will take time and investment to coach their boys through to the required level. Their juniors are ok generally.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're able to field at least 3 teams in each age group they'd already have a better case than St Peters...
Considering St Peter’s beat them in most age groups and the Firsts absolutely annihilating them. Gonna have to disagree with u on this. As well as Peter’s being top 3 in most sports in the AIC. Ur case is not doing so well champ.

But anyway, gonna slide past Marbig’s outrageous comment, and I’m gonna post some predictions for the week.
Eddie’s vs Villa. Villa looking good this year but is no match for Eddie’s damaging and gigantic front row, their number 1 prop has been the knight in shining armour, absolutely tank and menace of a male - probably the biggest prop I have seen in AIC yet, so I got Eddie’s by 15.
Peter’s vs Ashgrove, Peter’s boys coming off a big win and an upset against Laurie’s so will be shooting out of the gates firing, and Marists twiggy backline will not be able to withstand the strength and 8-picks from Vicious Latu. Expecting this match to be quite convincing on home soil for Peter’s, unless Marists get a new backline. Peter’s by 35+.
Iona vs Padua. Padua started off well but Iona are looking to fight back after being put in last place. Upset alarm has been sounded . Iona to win in the final seconds by 2+. But I am extremely keen to see Padua’s #19 to set on the field, what a specimen. Can change the game with an instant, Iona parents - watch out for this man!
Pats vs Laurie’s. Laurie’s been looking good once again this year, but do not think they’re up to the standard of their previous conquering years. Pats forward pack is better than Laurie’s so I got them winning that battle; especially with Pats #14 (with black headgear), god he’s a menace, absolutely rips the oppposition to shreds. I got Patties to win by 5 but if not, Laurie’s to only just win.Any thoughts on this gentlemen

Ronald_McDonald

Frank Row (1)
But anyway, gonna slide past Marbig’s outrageous comment, and I’m gonna post some predictions for the week.
Eddie’s vs Villa. Villa looking good this year but is no match for Eddie’s damaging and gigantic front row, their number 1 prop has been the knight in shining armour, absolutely tank and menace of a male - probably the biggest prop I have seen in AIC yet, so I got Eddie’s by 15.
Peter’s vs Ashgrove, Peter’s boys coming off a big win and an upset against Laurie’s so will be shooting out of the gates firing, and Marists twiggy backline will not be able to withstand the strength and 8-picks from Vicious Latu. Expecting this match to be quite convincing on home soil for Peter’s, unless Marists get a new backline. Peter’s by 35+.
Iona vs Padua. Padua started off well but Iona are looking to fight back after being put in last place. Upset alarm has been sounded . Iona to win in the final seconds by 2+. But I am extremely keen to see Padua’s #19 to set on the field, what a specimen. Can change the game with an instant, Iona parents - watch out for this man!
Pats vs Laurie’s. Laurie’s been looking good once again this year, but do not think they’re up to the standard of their previous conquering years. Pats forward pack is better than Laurie’s so I got them winning that battle; especially with Pats #14 (with black headgear), god he’s a menace, absolutely rips the oppposition to shreds. I got Patties to win by 5 but if not, Laurie’s to only just win.Any thoughts on this gentlemen
Seems pretty accurate tbf

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting points made about ATC. Sounds like they're still growing their sports program and culture which didn't really carry on from Nudgee Junior as much they would of liked.

I personally think AIC doesn't need to expand, it's a great association as it is. The only thing we could change is the rugby season to term 3 aligning with GPS competition. These days it seems like the relationship between the two competitions is not as strong as it used to be.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry mate but I have to disagree. The boys get the opportunity to play AFL, Rugby then Rugby League across three terms. How brilliant. Anyone who has attended a Confraternity Carnival in Rugby League will understand how wonderful this carnival is. Outstanding footy, not a cross word on the sidelines, a wonderful experience for the lads. Maybe GPS could switch their competition back to the way it was years ago in Term 2. Keep AIC the way it is.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting points made about ATC. Sounds like they're still growing their sports program and culture which didn't really carry on from Nudgee Junior as much they would of liked.

I personally think AIC doesn't need to expand, it's a great association as it is. The only thing we could change is the rugby season to term 3 aligning with GPS competition. These days it seems like the relationship between the two competitions is not as strong as it used to be.
The relationship between AIC and GPS is strong if you count pilfering.

A handful of games during one term is not really a comp that develops kids but unfortunately that is the pinnacle comp in junior rugby atm. AIC is definitely great with AFL and league adding to opportunities but it does spread talent and resources which ultimately reduces the quality of all 3 offerings imo. This isn't necessarily a reason not to continue with them just the reality.

I think an extra school would be great if they can field more teams. If you think peters is bad try checking out the QG girls school comp- two or three schools can't get any teams in many of the sports. I've never seen a netball or touch team from Clayfield college and never seen a competitive team from St Hildas, IGGS or many of the other schools. AIC is a bit of a blessing in rugby by comparison.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry mate but I have to disagree. The boys get the opportunity to play AFL, Rugby then Rugby League across three terms. How brilliant. Anyone who has attended a Confraternity Carnival in Rugby League will understand how wonderful this carnival is. Outstanding footy, not a cross word on the sidelines, a wonderful experience for the lads. Maybe GPS could switch their competition back to the way it was years ago in Term 2. Keep AIC the way it is.
How is the rugby league comp in AIC doing? has it taken off? It was great to hear when they announced that they were introducing it into AIC. Imo the nrl market is so strong that if private schools can tap into that then it cant be a bad thing both for sporting opportunities for students as well as marketing of the school.

Do they have home and away games like the union season or is it just for confro?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I think you’ll find there will be a major shakeup of GPS sport from 2025. Talk is there will be 2 sport windows, term 1 and mid term 2-mid term 3. This moves all sport away from term 4 and external exams.
GPS schools are offering rugby competition with AIC schools for trials too.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Marist 39-13 over St Peter's. The last twenty minutes by the Marist backline was outstanding. Great long range tries. Not bad for a "twiggy" backline.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I would believe that the score does not reflect the game considering it was 8-10 at half time. I still stand by my quote, Marist do need to put on size, this team would be scoreless against last year Peter’s and Laurie’s. But good to see my comment didn’t hit a heart string. Hope ur son lives up to ur expectations.
You’re right, with MCA scoring 7 tries to 2 the final scoreline flatters SPLC.

The Marist pack steamrolled their much bigger opponents in the second half, and their backs scored some vintage long range tries.

I’m sure the MCA coaches would have been very happy with the performance overall, despite a patchy first half, the team is building some confidence now.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would believe that the score does not reflect the game considering it was 8-10 at half time. I still stand by my quote, Marist do need to put on size, this team would be scoreless against last year Peter’s and Laurie’s. But good to see my comment didn’t hit a heart string. Hope ur son lives up to ur expectations.
At what point did I compare this Marist with any other team? They played well today. I give a team a wrap, therefore my son must be in the team. Lol. No Roger my son isn't in this team. I wrapped Padua and Villa a couple of weeks ago as well. I must have a few sons running around.

Dabu

Allen Oxlade (6)
7 tries to 2 would suggest otherwise champ

Coach

Banned
Hmmmm only 60 points out in the MCA game……