• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC 2023

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm very much of the opinion you never want last years premiers to repeat and of course the yearly edict of anyone but Ashgrove so hoping Padua keep up their winning ways.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nobody wants another Laurie’s premiership. Worst losers and winners in the AIC even claiming 2020 but would have been flogged by MCA if the grand final was played.
Not really, Lauries are a reflection of what investment in the rugby program produces, they had their lean years and it turned around with quality coaching and director of rugby appointments. This is a positive benchmark to set for the competition.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes and No. The last few years for Laurie's below the opens has been very lean. The firsts coaching set up however is outstanding and the results have followed. You would think the next couple of years in the opens will be lean, however, the head coach has the knack of getting the firsts well prepared, so anything is possible.
IMO Padua are the big ones to watch over 2024/2025.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Yes and No. The last few years for Laurie's below the opens has been very lean. The firsts coaching set up however is outstanding and the results have followed. You would think the next couple of years in the opens will be lean, however, the head coach has the knack of getting the firsts well prepared, so anything is possible.
IMO Padua are the big ones to watch over 2024/2025.

The first XV program at SLC which is entirely separate to the rest of the rugby program is humming.

The rest of the program is arguably underdone in terms of time invested conpared with some other AIC schools but it's just a school decision that they aren't as focused as other schools on under-age rugby results.

Not sure I can remember who won the 14Bs last year but good luck to them, the 1st XV was SLC.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
The first XV program at SLC which is entirely separate to the rest of the rugby program is humming.

The rest of the program is arguably underdone in terms of time invested conpared with some other AIC schools but it's just a school decision that they aren't as focused as other schools on under-age rugby results.

Not sure I can remember who won the 14Bs last year but good luck to them, the 1st XV was SLC.
It’s all well and good to focus on the open age group, but eventually those 14’s are in Year 11 & 12 and if you don’t put the time or effort in to develop them, if they’re not natural talents, they won’t win…

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
It’s all well and good to focus on the open age group, but eventually those 14’s are in Year 11 & 12 and if you don’t put the time or effort in to develop them, if they’re not natural talents, they won’t win…
What you say is true, but I think you misread what I was saying. The first XV program focuses on winning. It starts much earlier and develops the kids for that outcome.

The rest of the school programs and AIC sport itself is not realistically setup to develop kids in that sport, moreso just give an opportunity to play it and compete for a term.

Id say success in many of the main competitive sports are based on number of interested kids playing club being at least as important as the school program and coach. When they get into the top program though and have 4 to 6 months that seems to be different.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_0578.jpeg

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Ashgrove need to have a hard look at themselves. Some of the behaviour exhibited has been out of line and not called for.
What do you mean? I couldn’t watch the game. Just reading a bit about the score now, sounds like a last gasp comeback for Lauries.

Horrie Vincent

Frank Row (1)
I saw Iona 10A play. They’re really good I think they will be strong next two years. Maybe they need a new first coach?? Seem to get worse
This didn't age well. Iona have been very good in the last 3 matches and just lost their way in the last 8 minutes v Padua. They blew Villa off the park in the 1st half today.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Watching as a SLOB. We got lucky, Marist
were better today than us
Disagree. Game of 2 halves. Ash scoreless in the second half after some good play in the first half and discipline issues from SLC.

With the ball in the second half, SLC played some great footy to put points on the board and take control. The push and shove at the end was great too.

FYI the old boys touch went to Lauries as well 5-1.

Dabu

Allen Oxlade (6)
Disagree. Game of 2 halves. Ash scoreless in the second half after some good play in the first half and discipline issues from SLC.

With the ball in the second half, SLC played some great footy to put points on the board and take control. The push and shove at the end was great too.

Was 8-3 at halftime to Ash. Not a scoreless second half. But Ashgrove should have nailed the game when they led 16-3.

Last edited:

Playitstraight

Bob McCowan (2)

Yep I was there. Just my opinion.... hopefully be better for it next week