• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewP

Bob McCowan (2)
Having made such outrageous comments as that I would be interested in establishing your Rugby credentials "eagle"

While things may have changed, any rugby purist who has watched and played a lot of rugby would realise that Eddies and Padua inparticular are fortunate that they have a large forward pack of rugby union players who know what they are doing, some of the tactics and gameplans (or lack of) are very questionable and resemble a rugby league game, which is a reflection of uneducated coaching. Eddies were very lucky to beat Lauries and against ashgrove, relied on their strong ball runners to get them over the gain line. Ashgrove and Lauries are still the superior teams at the breakdown, just don't have the strong runners they other schools have. Who are the coaches of padua and eddies anyway? what are their credentials in rugby? I'm betting limited

That is not taking away anything from the players from either school, Padua and Eddies forward packs have been outstanding all season, having 11 grade 11's play 1st XV last year (and carry the team) has really helped the padua boys and a lot of those boys went on to play rep footy at the end of the season and eddies boys have obviously worked very hard in the off-season and have several rep players as well. So before you go saying its the coaching, its important to look at the cattle they have.

oldcoach

Frank Row (1)
Note the incredibly small number of Ashgrove players considering they can still be co-premiers if they win this weekend?
I am not at all surprised - as I wrote a few weeks ago - Ashgrove is not what it used to be. Fewer talented players and some very ordinary coaching at the top level ...

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Padua has one player in aic 1 when they are currently on top and could be outright premiers with a win this weekend.

A

AIC Tragic

Padua has one player in aic 1 when they are currently on top and could be outright premiers with a win this weekend.

I think that represents the tightness of the competition in 2011 - no school dominated AIC 1 this year unlike last year where Villa and Ash took out close to 10 spots?

And also show's that Padua may not neccesarily have stand out individuals but rather are a good team that play well together

R

Roll Away Black 7

Ithink everyone should take a deep breath. The Confraternity Shield has taken quite a few boys out of the mix at Padua apparently. So even though they played well during the season they were never available for AIC selection because of a clash with the two carnivals. I think you'll find there are some boys who were selected in the Australian Indigenous side that elected to play in that team and not AIC as well.

X

XRugbyX

They havn't finalised reserves etc yet because their is a Chairmans XV this year. Will know later, they will pick that 1st and then reserves i would presume!
Must also be noted that although Padua are undefeated, and have played well, they don't have as much talent, just play really well as a team.
Other schools have awesome talent just not the best teams. I.e, Villa, Ash, Iona etc.

R

rugby_09

reserves for the two teams
16. Michael Toolis ASH
17. Jayke Stevenson ASH
18. Tom Walker Iona
19. David Wilson SLC
20. Connor McWhirter ASH
21. Michael Cook SPC
22. David Eske Iona
23. Declan Balassa SEC

R

Roll Away Black 7

Eagle I think you'll find that the coaches at Eddies & Padua are well respected and highly expreienced blokes taking into account their strengths and weknesses in their game plans. If you had the number of big boppers that they possess what would your plan be ? You are welcome to your opinion mate but to cast aspertions on the quality of coaching at those two schools is off the mark. Is it not rght to design your game plan i.e. attack, around your strenghths ? The science is simple if you run 100kg men at 80 kg men for long enough the small man gets tired then you spread the ball - its called "punch and spread" and used by the Boks quite well.

S

southsboy

what exactly is the chairmans XV is this AIC players only or mixed?

A

AIC Tragic

what exactly is the chairmans XV is this AIC players only or mixed?

It's a combination of AIC and GPS players that didn't make the AIC/GPS teams. Chairmans XV will play AIC 2, CSS 2 and GPS 3 in Division 2

Divison 1 involves AIC 1, GPS 1 & 2 and CSS 1

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eagle I think you'll find that the coaches at Eddies & Padua are well respected and highly expreienced blokes taking into account their strengths and weknesses in their game plans. If you had the number of big boppers that they possess what would your plan be ? You are welcome to your opinion mate but to cast aspertions on the quality of coaching at those two schools is off the mark. Is it not rght to design your game plan i.e. attack, around your strenghths ? The science is simple if you run 100kg men at 80 kg men for long enough the small man gets tired then you spread the ball - its called "punch and spread" and used by the Boks quite well.

Completely agree with you Admiral. Eddies and to a lesser extent padua have always utilised big hard running forwards complimented by 1 or 2 nippy backs and always finish around mid table. The difference this year is in the quality of the traditional rugby schools. In previous years the Marists, Lauries and Villa's had the players to cope with the bigger teams. Its no coincidence that arguably the 2 biggest teams in AIC are 2 of the best.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I am surprised James Briskie wasn't picked for reserves at least because he has had a cracker of a season as Padua halfback. A cheeky little smartass is exactly what you need and he has a pass that would make Quade Cooper proud.

X

XRugbyX

There will be some very disappointed boys around brisbane tonight in both the GPS and AIC competitions!
Some very surprising selections, especially in the forward pack; no Dreves (Villa), Parker (Villa), Wasaga (SPLC) or Vauges? (SPLC)
Some of the best scrummagers in AIC, however are lacking the go forward needed from the big front rowers.
Disappointing not to see Brad Wilkin (Iona) not in their, a source tells me too young, in year 10, always next year, and expect very big things from this young fella!
Also in the halfback spot, both 1 and 2 halfback have the capabilities of playing at a QLD level, Maloua (Ash) and Gregg (SLC) are very good players. Maloua, the selectors obviously thought was the better option, however, Gregg only just coming back from an injury which could have ruled him out for the entire season so good to see him even playing!
The 12 spot, taken by Johnson, good solid player, was picked last year and didn't play due to injury, was one of if not the most hotly contested spots, so Welch, Creighton etc should keep heads up!

Hope the chosen boys do well against a strong looking GPS side, goodluck!

O

Old&Wise

There will be some very disappointed boys around brisbane tonight in both the GPS and AIC competitions!
Some very surprising selections, especially in the forward pack; no Dreves (Villa), Parker (Villa), Wasaga (SPLC) or Vauges? (SPLC)
Against Ashgrove Dreves was very impressive, scoring two tries. Didnt notice Parker, injured?

X

XRugbyX

Parker was dropped so i'm hearing, talking to Peter's coaching staff, had a shocker against them the week before.

Status
Not open for further replies.