• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dreamer

The SEC v ASH game on the weekend was a hard fought victory by Eddies. There were though many questionable decisions by the referee in and around the ruck area that went against the ASH boys and also an obvious knock on right before Eddies scored under the post to put ash on the back foot. Then again i am no ref.

some of the standout talent from eddies were the number 2 (playing 8) and the extremly slippery winger.

and from ash the couragous back row especially Matthew Muller (6) had a great game always on the ball and ran with purpose and heart. Matt was an obvious victim to an obscure penalty right on full time for hands in the ruck whilst going for a pick and drive, i was most perplexed with the decision.
another was John Boltona late sub from the seconds proved his worth hitting hard and not shying away from confrontation. John showed little signs of nervousness or being overwhelmed by the transition of 1st XV rugby from 2ndXV

L

Lauries#1

The St. Edmunds number 3 shows a lack of fitness and skill and should not be considered for either of the AIC teams. However, there is a lack of props in CAS so perhaps he might catch his lucky break

R

Roll Away Black 7

Absolutely agree with you on Christensen, he's been unlucky to have not scored more times than he has and a very exciting player to watch. Hillas got injured in the trial against Pats and I think only returned to the starting team against Peters. Welch is very strong and has played well all year. Sorridimi and Mains must be considered for selection and are a key part of the dominating Villa scrum this year. Yip is a great ball runner and Serisier is hungry at the breakdown however I don't think he's reached his true potential but had a great game against Peters. As Admiral said, the back line hasn't played as well as expected this year, they've always seem to be a little flat and the ball only rarely makes it out to the wingers, Christensen has had to make his living of return the ball of kicks but has worked out well for him.

Look to be honest I think the Villa 10 is the key to their woes in the backline. Too deep in the pocket sometimes, too shallow and cramped others. His 9 was turning his head too & fro against Peter's trying to find him ! Communication is the issue. The Villa 12 was tremendously physical in defence but hardly shone in attack. The question I have though is does he look for the big hit every time and miss a bit ? Brimble the Peters 12 made about 4 clean line breaks in the second stanza. The Villa 6 was very impressive. As was Mains. The Villa 8 not outstanding.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would say that Gregg is definitely a show for Queensland. Experienced and compact with a very good pass Meehan and Maloua haven't got it all their way in my view.

This is better justification, but who is Maloua and why haven't I heard of him?

J

jaydee

This is better justification, but who is Maloua and why haven't I heard of him?
Maloua is Ashgrove 9. Has only arrived from NZ this year and is a good player, but has a weakness i believe, from watching him only twice I will admit , in passing to one side, and does not pose the running threat that Gregg does or the game management. Gregg brings his running forwards on to the ball when he skips out, and also freezes the pillar and post defenders momentarily because he holds the ball in two hands and you are never sure that he is not going to have a dart. Maloua like most young halfs tends to pass from the base. . When directly opposed in the pre season trial, Gregg had the better in my opinion. I have never had the chance to watch meehan, and i am sure he is a terrific player, but I have seen the 2 recent AIC Australian schoolboys, James Ambrosini (2008) and Mitchell Felsman (2009) up close and Gregg is at least the equal in terms of match dominance. Don't forget also that Ambrosini made the Australian Schoolboys (and is currently with the Brumbies) from AIC 2 !!.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, no one really can predict who the selectors will favour. For the moment I'm going to go with Meehan just because he was selected last year. Nevertheless, its good to see such quality in the 9 jersey, one of the more competitive positions for GPS jerseys. I've been criticised a few times for mentioning his name but Darcy Eason (ACGS) will also be a late bolter, kid was selected for CSS team in grade 10 while at Coombabah High, took a spot at Churchie and from what I've seen has played really well (others have disagreed, but he's still in year 11). Admittedly does have a few weaknesses, but his kicking game is second to none. Good to know the AIC boys are holding their own, lets hope the talent gets rewarded in the form of Qld jerseys

C

cavalw

Just for those who've seen, the lauries scrum has been dominant over all the other AIC schools so far.
Possible #11 selection Bart Scanlan?
Been moved of the wing to outside centre but his speed off the line and has both great attacking and defensive abilites.

tight ending to the season in the 2nds. Probably tied premiership between ahgrove and us.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just for those who've seen, the lauries scrum has been dominant over all the other AIC schools so far.
Been moved of the wing to outside centre but his speed off the line and has both great attacking and defensive abilites.

tight ending to the season in the 2nds. Probably tied premiership between ahgrove and us.

Who is us?

D

damo1

Not sure about this. The big inside centre for SLC has looked good though, . His battle last week with the Padua #12 was a beauty. Two big hard running centres who can tackle and read the play

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
who are the selectors? school coaches?
Yeah, no one really can predict who the selectors will favour. For the moment I'm going to go with Meehan just because he was selected last year. Nevertheless, its good to see such quality in the 9 jersey, one of the more competitive positions for GPS jerseys. I've been criticised a few times for mentioning his name but Darcy Eason (ACGS) will also be a late bolter, kid was selected for CSS team in grade 10 while at Coombabah High, took a spot at Churchie and from what I've seen has played really well (others have disagreed, but he's still in year 11). Admittedly does have a few weaknesses, but his kicking game is second to none. Good to know the AIC boys are holding their own, lets hope the talent gets rewarded in the form of Qld jerseys

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)

I think you'll find that there will be a few AIC players in there. Malolua and Gregg will get 2 of the 4 #9 Qld jumpers up for grabs, I think the outside centre for Pat's will be QLD 2, Ash fullback will get a spot, the Villa and Lauries captain as well and Eddies and Padua will all get a player or two in there. AIC has been of a greater standard this season than the past and in the pre season Pat's beat Downlands at Downlands and they have caused headaches for a number of GPS sides. As well Eddies beat Toowoomba convincingly and were competitive against IGS and Lauries beat BBC. In addition, Padua, Ashgrove, Eddies, Patties and even Lauries would all beat Terrace this year I believe.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As well Eddies beat Toowoomba convincingly and were competitive against IGS and Lauries beat BBC. In addition, Padua, Ashgrove, Eddies, Patties and even Lauries would all beat Terrace this year I believe.

hahaha most teams coud beat terrace this year. Ah well, we can only hope some AIC boys get a run. GPS weakness position are one wing, inside c, and perhaps fullback. The rest are very solid Qld u16 or other rep players who have just stepped up. Qld 1 Outside Centre is already gone unfortunately :(

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
hahaha most teams coud beat terrace this year. Ah well, we can only hope some AIC boys get a run. GPS weakness position are one wing, inside c, and perhaps fullback. The rest are very solid Qld u16 or other rep players who have just stepped up. Qld 1 Outside Centre is already gone unfortunately :(

Well I can guarantee you that there would be a number of AIC schools who would of loved to have had a crack against Terrace this year. I think halfback is the only chance for AIC to have a QLD 1 run on player but there will be at least another half a dozen in QLD 2 and on the bench for both QLD 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.