• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
To sum up Padua's victory over Laurie's is a tough one, both teams playing extremely well with Laurie's being dominant in every aspect except for the scoring tries part. In the last 10 minutes SLC were on Padua's line with forward momentum where the referee made a debatable call of hands in the ruck even though the player was simply picking and driving his own ball. This caused Padua to make a clearance kick off a line out where the number 9 Laurie's player called a mark but the referee did not allow it. Therefor Padua with building pressure got over the line. This however fired the Laurie's boys up with an almost immediate return try to have the boys back to 6 points down, but unfortunately, in the last 3 minutes, Padua collected a sloppy ball from Laurie's causing a full field runaway try down the sideline. Definently an improvement from the men in black, star players including Ed dennin(second row/flanker) Tom Beikoff on debut (second row/ flanker) and Ian Fillipo (fullback) dispite his poor decisions throughout the game, a very good game. Laurie's have finally found their feet

Wow congrats to SLC for being better than Padua in every aspect of the game except for the scoring tries bit. Sounds like SLC were unlucky not to come away with the win then? Be interested to hear a more neutral match report...

Rugby_master

Frank Row (1)
I
To sum up Padua's victory over Laurie's is a tough one, both teams playing extremely well with Laurie's being dominant in every aspect except for the scoring tries part. In the last 10 minutes SLC were on Padua's line with forward momentum where the referee made a debatable call of hands in the ruck even though the player was simply picking and driving his own ball. This caused Padua to make a clearance kick off a line out where the number 9 Laurie's player called a mark but the referee did not allow it. Therefor Padua with building pressure got over the line. This however fired the Laurie's boys up with an almost immediate return try to have the boys back to 6 points down, but unfortunately, in the last 3 minutes, Padua collected a sloppy ball from Laurie's causing a full field runaway try down the sideline. Definently an improvement from the men in black, star players including Ed dennin(second row/flanker) Tom Beikoff on debut (second row/ flanker) and Ian Fillipo (fullback) dispite his poor decisions throughout the game, a very good game. Laurie's have finally found their feet
I thought quiet the opposite after watching this game on the weekend, it was a very even game throughout the first half with no team really dominating territory or possession. However in the second half padua's forward pack seemed to be too fit for the Lauries boys and ran them around the park. Lauries turned over too much ball and Padua took full advantage. Padua came away with a comfortable win letting many 2nds and 16a players to finish out the last 5 minutes with ease.

Diggersplayedrugby

Frank Row (1)
Evening AIC Rugby fans,

A little about me -

I've read this feed for a while yet have never commented and now i feel it is about time. I wish to see AIC rugby at a highly competitive level, where all schools enter every round with the optimism that they can come out winners, I also believe money and facilities should not be pumped into schoolboy rugby at only a 1st XV level (if at all) which some schools seem to do. I love rugby union, and I love AIC rugby, it has a modesty yet a greatness and pride about it that I loved being a part of and hope my sons can too.

Qualms with this feed-

I would like to bring to light a topic of conversation frequenting this feed that I find rather disturbing. The AIC (Associated Independent Colleges) is exactly that, a competition of colleges. The comments with which I have qualms include those such as "The golden age of Ashgrove Rugby is over", combined with "No longer does Marist dominate the AIC".

In round one of the AIC Competition 2014 Marist College Ashgrove fielded 30 rugby teams with reserves, a number that has not declined as the rounds have progressed. On that day, against St Pats, one of these thirty teams lost (1st XV). In round two, against Laurie's, one of these thirty teams lost (14A's). In round three, St Edmunds College won one game against Ashgrove (1st XV), this game was not only the only game they won, but they only game where Ashgrove conceded a point. And I pray to God for the Villa teams from the 13D's to the 2nd XV playing Ashgrove next week, and only he knows what poor St Peters will suffer. When I was playing AIC rugby Ashgrove was a massive threat, every week, for every school. They've never lost an aggregate and won't this year either. Ashgrove Rugby is anything but dead.

Schools like St Peters boast they have a flourishing rugby program, they're wrong. They have a flourishing 1st XV program I will admit, but they achieve this by going against the rules the seven other sports masters abide by. St Peters rugby doesn't win, their 1st's do and the students lose because of it.

A warning -

Just because a schools first XV don't win doesn't mean they're not a competitive rugby college.

To those out there thinking Marist rugby is dead, you're dead wrong. I talk to the younger Ashgrove players when they are playing in my neck of the woods as I do with all schools. They love their rugby, they love playing rugby, the winning is just a by-product. I give full credit to the young sports master Phillip Holding for the work he has done there over the past few years, the strong holistic approach Marist College Ashgrove takes to its rugby and all its sports under his direction will fuel 1st XV seasons for years to come.

I look forward to having a chat about this, and let the best teams win this Saturday.

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
Evening AIC Rugby fans,

A little about me -

I've read this feed for a while yet have never commented and now i feel it is about time. I wish to see AIC rugby at a highly competitive level, where all schools enter every round with the optimism that they can come out winners, I also believe money and facilities should not be pumped into schoolboy rugby at only a 1st XV level (if at all) which some schools seem to do. I love rugby union, and I love AIC rugby, it has a modesty yet a greatness and pride about it that I loved being a part of and hope my sons can too.

Qualms with this feed-

I would like to bring to light a topic of conversation frequenting this feed that I find rather disturbing. The AIC (Associated Independent Colleges) is exactly that, a competition of colleges. The comments with which I have qualms include those such as "The golden age of Ashgrove Rugby is over", combined with "No longer does Marist dominate the AIC".

In round one of the AIC Competition 2014 Marist College Ashgrove fielded 30 rugby teams with reserves, a number that has not declined as the rounds have progressed. On that day, against St Pats, one of these thirty teams lost (1st XV). In round two, against Laurie's, one of these thirty teams lost (14A's). In round three, St Edmunds College won one game against Ashgrove (1st XV), this game was not only the only game they won, but they only game where Ashgrove conceded a point. And I pray to God for the Villa teams from the 13D's to the 2nd XV playing Ashgrove next week, and only he knows what poor St Peters will suffer. When I was playing AIC rugby Ashgrove was a massive threat, every week, for every school. They've never lost an aggregate and won't this year either. Ashgrove Rugby is anything but dead.

Schools like St Peters boast they have a flourishing rugby program, they're wrong. They have a flourishing 1st XV program I will admit, but they achieve this by going against the rules the seven other sports masters abide by. St Peters rugby doesn't win, their 1st's do and the students lose because of it.

A warning -

Just because a schools first XV don't win doesn't mean they're not a competitive rugby college.

To those out there thinking Marist rugby is dead, you're dead wrong. I talk to the younger Ashgrove players when they are playing in my neck of the woods as I do with all schools. They love their rugby, they love playing rugby, the winning is just a by-product. I give full credit to the young sports master Phillip Holding for the work he has done there over the past few years, the strong holistic approach Marist College Ashgrove takes to its rugby and all its sports under his direction will fuel 1st XV seasons for years to come.

I look forward to having a chat about this, and let the best teams win this Saturday.

Interesting to note about Ashgrove. How many kids do they have there? The mentality of most teams approaching the fixture with Ashgrove is already resigned to defeat. From what I've seen, Ashgrove teams possess a lot more confidence and belief in themselves compared to most. This belief is probably a product of the school's culture as mush as it is gained from winning games. Im sure that because of the reputation that the school has simply attracts better players of at least more players of quality, too.

Diggersplayedrugby

Frank Row (1)
I think its a mix, their depth certainly helps them, but what an effort for a school to provide games to so many rugby teams, they had teams driving out to warrick on the weekend going to games, I mention the sportsmaster again Phil Holing, he seems to encourage as many boys to get involved as possible because he knows it creates depth. Do better players go to ashgrove because of its reputation, i'd contest that, most boys would go in grade 5-8 where you really cant tell if they'l be good in 4 years time (as much as their parents like to think they will)

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to note about Ashgrove. How many kids do they have there? The mentality of most teams approaching the fixture with Ashgrove is already resigned to defeat. From what I've seen, Ashgrove teams possess a lot more confidence and belief in themselves compared to most. This belief is probably a product of the school's culture as mush as it is gained from winning games. Im sure that because of the reputation that the school has simply attracts better players of at least more players of quality, too.

Ashgrove I believe has around 1600 kids these days and is the largest all boys school in the AIC. St Peter's has 2000 students and is the largest college in AIC but is a Co-ed college. If we are comparing results with student populations then you've got to say that St. Edmund's and St. Patrick's are doing very well with what they've got. Eddies has around 1000 students and Pats have around 1200 these days. It wasn't long ago that pats had a total population of 700 or so from years 5 to 12. An issue for pats however is the lack of land for expansion being in a very built up area there at shorncliffe. This may affect them in producing more competitive teams in the future when other schools expand their facilities and grow in population.

Ruggapedia

Frank Row (1)
Let's get some early tips for this weekend
pats Vs Padua - Padua by 3 (game of the round)
peters Vs Eddies -eddies by 12+
Villa vs ashgrove - ashgrove >10
Laurie's vs Iona -Laurie's >7

Sparky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Could someone please provide myself and this forum with official scores from last weekend and a updated ladder? It would much appreciated!

Round 4 tips
Pats in a thrilled
Eddies by plenty
Ashgrove by 10
Iona by 15

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Evening AIC Rugby fans,

A little about me -

Qualms with this feed-

A warning -

Possibly the best post I've seen here yet, I saw a post earlier about St Pats and Padua's rivalry beginning to match Marist and Lauries. Without wanting to offend anyone, if you saw the amount of students from both colleges attend and cheer the 1stXV Marist v Lauries game a couple of weeks ago, that game is still a country mile ahead of all the other games in the AIC. A bit like Nudgee v Terrace in the GPS, not necessarily the biggest game competition wise, but still the most passionate and attended. Last week I wrote a post filled with a bit of frustration at the state of Lauries rugby and some of the results at Runcorn last Saturday further illustrated that. How could a school who has won a handful of games over the last few years (1st XV) get 100+ students support at Ashgrove and then again at Runcorn on Satruday have a Head of Sport (Soccer Background) who refuses to employ a man who in terms of rugby and teaching ability would make a monster difference. Staggering to be honest and almost laughable. I must congratulate Padua who across most games destroyed Lauries on the day. I look forward to seeing how they go against Ashgrove I suspect they may win more than 1 aggregate game on the day. One final point is that it must be depressing being a 1stXV player at Padua having come off 2 really good wins, to be tunnelled out by a dozen students on Saturday at Runcorn. Would be nice to see schools like Padua and SEC support their premier side like Ashgrove, Lauries, Pats etc a bit more.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Evening AIC Rugby fans,

A little about me -

Qualms with this feed-

A warning -

Great post. Upon speaking to a leading rugby official at St Pats the other day he agreed with this. However, he pointed out to me the marked improvement in the school's "A" performances. Obviously the big talking point of the day was the school's first win over Marist in 63 years, but he was more impressed with the school's performance throughout. Yes, 1sts were the only side to get a W but the 13A, 14A and 15A lost by a combined total of five points I believe, with one of the results being a draw (15A?). For each of the St Pats "A" sides to achieve this is exemplary of the school's improvement. Gone are the days where there was only one competitive side in the whole school, circa 2011.

I 100% agree with you that the domination of the yellow and blue continues, but the margin is closing ever so slightly year after year as rugby culture grows at other schools that are yet to tap their potential.

Next step, getting the "B" and "C" sides to buy in to the culture as well.

Rugby2014

Frank Row (1)
In reply to post #687 (I won't quote so as to fill the thread), I don't think that anybody can doubt Ashgrove's dominance on the aggregate front and I don't think anyone so far in this thread has had the stupidity to do so. I think you'll find most comments about "the golden age of Ashgrove Rugby..." being over are only in reference to the 1st XV performance in recent years. While the teams produced in recent years are obviously of a high quality, the standard is nowhere near that of the teams they produced during the undefeated years of 2002-2007. I certainly do not agree with the sentiment that Ashgrove rugby is dead, however, I'm glad that the AIC has in recent years truly become a competition in which every school is competitive at 1st XV level. It's going to be a great weekend of games, my tips are as follows:

Padua
Eddies
Iona
Villa

Ruggapedia

Frank Row (1)
Could someone please provide myself and this forum with official scores from last weekend and a updated ladder? It would much appreciated!

Round 4 tips
Pats in a thrilled
Eddies by plenty
Ashgrove by 10
Iona by 15
Ladder after round 3
Eddies 6
Padua 6
Pats 4
Villa 2
Peter's 2
Ashgrove 2
Laurie's 0

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great post. Upon speaking to a leading rugby official at St Pats the other day he agreed with this. However, he pointed out to me the marked improvement in the school's "A" performances. Obviously the big talking point of the day was the school's first win over Marist in 63 years, but he was more impressed with the school's performance throughout. Yes, 1sts were the only side to get a W but the 13A, 14A and 15A lost by a combined total of five points I believe, with one of the results being a draw (15A?). For each of the St Pats "A" sides to achieve this is exemplary of the school's improvement. Gone are the days where there was only one competitive side in the whole school, circa 2011.

I 100% agree with you that the domination of the yellow and blue continues, but the margin is closing ever so slightly year after year as rugby culture grows at other schools that are yet to tap their potential.

Next step, getting the "B" and "C" sides to buy in to the culture as well.

Hmmmm? Pats have certainly made some huge improvements with their A teams whilst I sure culture, coaches etc have contribute to this improvement,
lets also note that "special" students have also made a huge impact.
Those "special" students don't play in B and C teams.
Similar to Peters 1st team,the only team within the school capable of winning an AIC game.
Pats has just spread this "special" students over more age groups ( which IMO is a better approach to the Peters way of doing it)

so now we have a new school involved in the arms race.

thommo79

Frank Row (1)
Hmmmm? Pats have certainly made some huge improvements with their A teams whilst I sure culture, coaches etc have contribute to this improvement,
lets also note that "special" students have also made a huge impact.
Those "special" students don't play in B and C teams.
Similar to Peters 1st team,the only team within the school capable of winning an AIC game.
Pats has just spread this "special" students over more age groups ( which IMO is a better approach to the Peters way of doing it)

so now we have a new school involved in the arms race.

This is a crazy statement. Why is it automatically assumed that there is "special" students at a school?? SPC have never recruited students, there is a battle every year trying to fit students into the school, with many a disappointed student/parent turned away. Apart from the indigenous students who are brought down from remote far Northern QLD on educational bursaries (which is no secret and I’m sure they are not winning games of rugby), there are no other "special" students. As was pointed out recently, SPC has stepped up in a number of sports, athletics, X Country and now rugby. Such a wide improvement is only obtained through consistent application of a whole school improvement plan, which encompasses a number of areas, not just sport.

I do not work at the school, I am however, very well informed by a very well placed source from within the school. So please, enough with these sorts of comments, they are not helpful, to the school or its students.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
"thommo79, post: 607983, member: 20422"]This is a crazy statement. Why is it automatically assumed that there is "special" students at a school??

because late last week posters who claimed first hand knowledge of the above made mention of "targeting of talented athletes"
Your forgiven for not seeing these post as the Mods see below were very quick in deleting these post and directing future comments to the school scholarship thread.

So we have posters from last week telling us it is happening and now a couple above telling us it's not.

I do agree with the Bladerunner from what I have seen from Pats this season (3 A Games)
no superstars pretty ordinary players.

As I have said in my previous posts I think that Pats are the big improvers in the AIC and congrates for that and I will at this stage assumed it's due to the right reasons. time will tell

OK guys we are getting some non-rugby posts and circular discussions which are more about other posters than the rugby.
There is also discussion about bursaries, scholarships and dodgy recruitment procedures.
These matters are prohibited - read the rules of the schoolboy forum.
There is a thread for these topics - use it.
We will start deleting posts from now on that pertain to such matters, wholly or partly. We will also delete posts we think are addressing such topics, even if we are wrong.
That is the penalty. If infringements persist we will have to go to cards.
No, it is not a democracy - the health of the thread is more important than fine feelings.

Bill Pulver: Israel Folau's away game is in Cape Town. In rugby league his away game would be Campbelltown.

[/quote]

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
any notable 1st XV players missing this weekend? with rugby league state carnival in mackay? also alot of injuries from what ive heard? any news?

Status
Not open for further replies.