• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiesboy

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone want to have a crack at a match report of the Eddies v Padua game? Standouts from each team?

Eddies standouts were the 15 and 13 in the backline the winger kicked all goals and was handy in attack. The 1 and 8 were best forwards very physical.

Padua standouts were the 13,10 and both wingers scored sparky tries and the 3 was by far best padua player on the ground heard news he was only a grade 10 bloke.

ARU Open Schoolboys

Frank Row (1)
I've watched a total of 8 AIC games (2 on tape) as a scout and I must admit at the beginning of the year I felt the talent level was substandard. As the season progressed I saw a strong improvement and feel there are multiple players who could push for QLD schoolboy sides.

Overall, seasons like these make me think their should be a finals in AIC rugby as it seems that St. Edmunds may win, however they may not have been the best team. I've watched two of their games, and frankly they were lucky not to lose to Ashgrove and I am yet to watch the Padua game tape but I did tip Padua to win and have heard reports that Padua strongly outplayed them in the second half. Congratulations to St Edmunds though and now its on to schoolboy rep season.

From what I've seen, here is my AIC 1 prediction:

1. Jack O'Connor (ASH)
2. Tom O'toole (Padua)
3. Dominic Dingwall (IONA)
4. Lancashire (ASH) *If Healthy
5. Daniel Byrne (ASH)
6. Harding (Villa) / Kersley (ASH)
7.James Ryan (ASH)
8. Pat Beveridge (ASH) * If not healthy: Conor Cowhig (ASH)
9. Stephen Gill (Padua)
10. Felu (Villa)
11. Fahey (ASH) * "Phenomenal Winger"
12.Torpy (Villa)
13. Regan (Pats)
14. Jordan Fewings (Padua)
15. Clifton Setu (Eddies)

16. Finnegan Mcgrath (ASH)
17. Eddies no.3 / Boyd White (ASH)
18. Clement Brosnan (ASH)
19. Cowhig (ASH) or Pats 8
20. Lauries 9 (They have to get someone in)
21. Carrol (IONA)
22. Yabsley (IONA) Josh Collins (ASH)

Shadows/Waterboys
Connor Gentile (Padua)
Jack Treston (ASH)

Coach
Dr Jon (ASH)

Ashgrove gets a big amount in, especially in the forwards. They were dominate this year in the forwards, even when their reserves came on they wrecked opponents forwards. Unsure if this is due to Doctor Jon or to the dominance of the players. Regardless they will be rewarded in AIC 1 Selections.
As far as the back line, a lot of teams had impact players, especially in the centres, making for difficult decisions. They was no dominant back line from a particular side which is why it is mixed. J. Collins outplayed Yablesy at Iona today. Also Yabsley got sucked in by the supporters heckling, Collins stayed focus.

Noticeable Absentees:
Yabsley (IONA)
Eddies 13
Tom Stewart (ASH)

Browndog

Bob McCowan (2)
Is this another stitch up? Or is Dr Jon a just a complete tool. What more does a team have to do prove themselves worthy of a premiership other than defeat all their opposition. Not only have Ashgrove and Padua been defeated, they've been defeated twice and you're suggesting they deserve another bite of the cherry. If this is for real and Dr Jon is a scout then the rep pathway is paved with bias. I was at the Ashgrove game, Eddies were pummelled by the ref and at one stage down to 13 men. Ashgrove defaulted to their pick and drive/rolling maul game (a sensible option) and still couldn't get the job done. I have been around both TAS and AIC rugby for a while and the 2014 Ashgrove First XV is one on the weakest I have seen. I played against real Ashgrove champions Howard, Herbert & Hammond to name a few and current crop doesn't measure up. As for Padua, we'll they put up a good fight, put on some tries while Eddies were down one man but really the best team won. Eddies belted the living crap out of them. The defence was off the hook and the hits were huge. We'll done St Edmunds boys, well done Miles and Parkinson all the support staff, parents and friends your First XV are deserving champs.

Codeunion

Peter Burge (5)
I've watched a total of 8 AIC games (2 on tape) as a scout and I must admit at the beginning of the year I felt the talent level was substandard. As the season progressed I saw a strong improvement and feel there are multiple players who could push for QLD schoolboy sides.

Overall, seasons like these make me think their should be a finals in AIC rugby as it seems that St. Edmunds may win, however they may not have been the best team. I've watched two of their games, and frankly they were lucky not to lose to Ashgrove and I am yet to watch the Padua game tape but I did tip Padua to win and have heard reports that Padua strongly outplayed them in the second half. Congratulations to St Edmunds though and now its on to schoolboy rep season.

From what I've seen, here is my AIC 1 prediction:

1. Jack O'Connor (ASH)
2. Tom O'toole (Padua)
3. Dominic Dingwall (IONA)
4. Lancashire (ASH) *If Healthy
5. Daniel Byrne (ASH)
6. Harding (Villa) / Kersley (ASH)
7.James Ryan (ASH)
8. Pat Beveridge (ASH) * If not healthy: Conor Cowhig (ASH)
9. Stephen Gill (Padua)
10. Felu (Villa)
11. Fahey (ASH) * "Phenomenal Winger"
12.Torpy (Villa)
13. Regan (Pats)
14. Jordan Fewings (Padua)
15. Clifton Setu (Eddies)

16. Finnegan Mcgrath (ASH)
17. Eddies no.3 / Boyd White (ASH)
18. Clement Brosnan (ASH)
19. Cowhig (ASH) or Pats 8
20. Lauries 9 (They have to get someone in)
21. Carrol (IONA)
22. Yabsley (IONA) Josh Collins (ASH)

Shadows/Waterboys
Connor Gentile (Padua)
Jack Treston (ASH)

Coach
Dr Jon (ASH)

Ashgrove gets a big amount in, especially in the forwards. They were dominate this year in the forwards, even when their reserves came on they wrecked opponents forwards. Unsure if this is due to Doctor Jon or to the dominance of the players. Regardless they will be rewarded in AIC 1 Selections.
As far as the back line, a lot of teams had impact players, especially in the centres, making for difficult decisions. They was no dominant back line from a particular side which is why it is mixed. J. Collins outplayed Yablesy at Iona today. Also Yabsley got sucked in by the supporters heckling, Collins stayed focus.

Noticeable Absentees:
Yabsley (IONA)
Eddies 13
Tom Stewart (ASH)

surely tatipata deserves a spot on the wing

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
Is this another stitch up? Or is Dr Jon a just a complete tool. What more does a team have to do prove themselves worthy of a premiership other than defeat all their opposition. Not only have Ashgrove and Padua been defeated, they've been defeated twice and you're suggesting they deserve another bite of the cherry. If this is for real and Dr Jon is a scout then the rep pathway is paved with bias. I was at the Ashgrove game, Eddies were pummelled by the ref and at one stage down to 13 men. Ashgrove defaulted to their pick and drive/rolling maul game (a sensible option) and still couldn't get the job done. I have been around both TAS and AIC rugby for a while and the 2014 Ashgrove First XV is one on the weakest I have seen. I played against real Ashgrove champions Howard, Herbert & Hammond to name a few and current crop doesn't measure up. As for Padua, we'll they put up a good fight, put on some tries while Eddies were down one man but really the best team won. Eddies belted the living crap out of them. The defence was off the hook and the hits were huge. We'll done St Edmunds boys, well done Miles and Parkinson all the support staff, parents and friends your First XV are deserving champs.

Considering Ashgrove came 4th last year and only won a solitary game at home, I would say this year's team (who will likely finish second) is well and truly a step in the right direction for the school. Their three home games this season have seen scorelines of 43-12, 44-5 and 38-22 and their forwards have played with heart and determination despite a number of injuries. I would say it is harsh to call this "one of the weakest First XV's this school as ever produced", because quite simply, it isn't. With their 16A, 15A, 14A and 13A all winning premierships this year, it would appear likely that they have some great sides to come in future years.

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
No team in this competition was going to beat Eddies yesterday. I noticed a shuffling of the team to accommodate some missing players and a change in tactics from games I had seen earlier in the season. Great stuff by the coaches, and the playing team, of course. Their defence was great. A team with less guts than that Padua side would have coward after some of the hits they sustained. Padua fought back though. Both teams suffered from send offs. Padua capitalized after the eddies 13 was sent off, which left a whole in their back line.

Florin FlomFlom

Frank Row (1)
Dear AIC Supporters, coaches, players, students, parents and most importantly Joe Kosiek.

I would just like to congratulate you all for such a big impact for the AIC rugby competition this year with all the support and high level rugby, it couldn't have been done without all of you. There has been a big commotion around AIC 1 predictions and who should be picked. While this is very important, it takes away from the spirit in which AIC teamwork is all about if we are starting to focus on individuals rather then the team working together. This is why if AIC 1 is to be successful this year, then we need a forward pack that should be able to play together. The backline can adapt to eachother, the forwards needs mateship from the start. This is why it is essential for the Marist XV forward pack of 2014 to be the AIC 1 starting forward pack. Consequently, destroying other forward packs due to the spirit in which they play will be massive contenders for Australian Schoolboy spots.

AIC 1 Forward Pack;

1 Jack O'Connor
2 Finnegan Mcgrath
3 Boyd White
4 Daniel Byrne
5 James Lancashire
6 James Ryan
7 Callum Kersley
8 Pat Beveridge

Im positive with a forward pack as powerful as this, AIC 1 will not drop a game against any opponent.

Florin Flomflom
Scouter of the year since 1997

expert123

Stan Wickham (3)
I find it funny that Ashgrove kids have to come onto G&GR to troll people. Their forward pack was merely AVERAGE compared to other years. I would rather an Eddies or Padua forward pack then Ashgrove's! Why? Pick and driving and mauling can only get you so far. It works for a while in the game, but eventually the opponent adapts to it. Great example is SEC vs MCA in round 3. To start the game 2 players from the Eddies forward pack got sent off. Ashgrove started picking and driving and did gain metres UNTIL the second half. Eddies forwards adapted to it and started defend the pick and drive. For a few minutes Ahsgrove was on Eddies try line trying to just pick and roll their way over. Eventually they made a mistake. My point is, you really need some good running forwards who can create spark. Ashgrove don't have that player. Another example is Eddies vs Padua. Eddies scored 3 tries straight up from pick and drive, then after a while Padua defense adapted!

Little kiddies of Ashgrove, go home and talk to your mummies about how Ashgrove for a second year in a row has disgraced their school in 1st XV Rugby. You can say all their other teams won the premiership but no one cares. At the end of the day it's about how your 1st XV performed.

AIC 1 Forward pack:

1: Dominic Dingwall (IONA)
2: Tom O'Tool (IF HE CAN THROW) (PADUA)
3: Kaleb Tigafua (SEC)
4: Daniel Byrne (MCA)
5: James Lanchashire (MCA)
6: Connor Gentile (PADUA)
7: Daniel Robinson (SPC)
8: Layton Kember (SEC)

Backline is very hard to predict with so many skilled players.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Little kiddies of Ashgrove, go home and talk to your mummies about how Ashgrove for a second year in a row has disgraced their school in 1st XV Rugby. You can say all their other teams won the premiership but no one cares. At the end of the day it's about how your 1st XV performed.

That is a gross misconception and it's utterly appalling that your annoyance at a few schoolboys has turned you into such a sour grape.

Disgraced their school? Biggest load of crap I've ever heard and absolutely no school is EVER deserving of that title. If that was true, what do you say of the SLC First XV or the SPC First XV? I doubt you have any knowledge of what these schoolboys go through otherwise you'd know that it is a great honor to represent your school at First XV level and that every member works extremely hard for their position.

And mate, at the end of the day it is most definitely not how your 1st XV performed. SEC won the First XV competition, so does that make SEC a strong rugby school? Absolutely not, they've won next to no other premierships. Same goes for Villanova and SPLC. I'd go as far as to say SLC is stronger than all those schools, even though their First XV hasn't won a game, purely because they are more consistent across ALL levels of college rugby.

You need to check yourself and watch your temper before you go spouting nonsensical bullshit that goes against everything the AIC is about.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Dear Mr Ballymore, don't go counting all your premierships before they have hatch.
14A premiership won't be decided until the end of the comp
ASH IONA and Padua all equal with dropping one game a each. Lauries beat ASH 2 round.
Talk like that fuels the view of arrogance, which is why every schools love to beat ASH

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
Dear Mr Ballymore, don't go counting all your premierships before they have hatch.
14A premiership won't be decided until the end of the comp
ASH IONA and Padua all equal with dropping one game a each. Lauries beat ASH 2 round.
Talk like that fuels the view of arrogance, which is why every schools love to beat ASH

The Ashgrove 14A's would have to lose to St Peters who have won just one game all season, beating Villanova 26-21, who Ashgrove beat 60-0. I really don't see that happening to be quite honest. So it is close to a certainty that they will lock up a joint premiership this weekend.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Ashgrove 14A's would have to lose to St Peters who have won just one game all season, beating Villanova 26-21, who Ashgrove beat 60-0. I really don't see that happening to be quite honest. So it is close to a certainty that they will lock up a joint premiership this weekend.

will the sunrise tomorrow? maybe? yes? no?
you dont really know sport if your telling me ashgrove have locked up the premiership... yes they are favourites to beat peters in the 14s doesnt mean they are going to does it? i hope the peters 14s come out and smash ashgrove on the weekend along with the 1st XV and knock some of the arrogance coming from ashgrove these days.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
My point is, you really need some good running forwards who can create spark. Ashgrove don't have that player.

You clearly haven't watched any Ashgrove games. The second rower, Byrne I believe his name is has been outstanding in the few games I have watched with an outstanding sense for the game on both offense and defence. As well as this, at two of the games I watched, O'Connor, the prop for the team scored a 50 metre intercept try as well as a 40 metre try where he broke the line and then side stepped the full back. The backrow is also full of pace and strength, able to create plays one pass from the ruck. Ashgrove forwards have spark, the thing is that it is probably not their strategy. Their main strategy is probably pick and drive because at this level, teams find it very difficult to defend as seen throughout the season. As you may be able to tell through my previous tipping posts, I am a very avid lover of rugby, especially AIC footy, so trust me when I say that Ashgrove rugby is NOT dead.

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
will the sunrise tomorrow? maybe? yes? no?
you dont really know sport if your telling me ashgrove have locked up the premiership. yes they are favourites to beat peters in the 14s doesnt mean they are going to does it? i hope the peters 14s come out and smash ashgrove on the weekend along with the 1st XV and knock some of the arrogance coming from ashgrove these days.

I apologise for coming across as arrogant. In my initial post I was just trying to put emphasis on the fact that Ashgrove has a lot of strong age groups coming through. I did not intend to say Ashgrove had already wrapped up the premiership and I corrected myself in the next post saying while they hadn't it was more than likely.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Enough of the personal attacks and baseless accusations guys otherwise there will be bannings and sanctions.

Harsh ones.

rugbydoc1

Frank Row (1)
Aic 1 prediction based upon form this season
1. Dominic dingwell (Iona)
2. Tom O'toole (Padua)
3. Kaleb Tigafua (SEC)
4. Daniel Byrne (MCA)
5: James Lanchashire (MCA)
6: Connor Gentile (PADUA)/ Kain Humphreys (SEC)
7: Daniel Robinson (SPC)
8: Layton Kember (SEC)
9. Stephen Gill (Padua)
10. Brock McNulty (SEC) / Jaydon Carrol (IONA)
11. Tyler Van-Zandanorth (SEC) / Jordan Fewings (PADUA)
12. Tatipata (SPLC) / Brock McNulty (SEC)
13. Cameron Torpy (VIlla) / Tatipata (SPLC)
14. Regan Glynn (SPC)
15. Clifton Setu (SEC)

Such variety throughout the competition such a wide range of players can play Aic 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.