• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
My deepest apologies Gentlemen, I have been very busy recently and have not been able to get my tips in. I know, Wednesday night is tipping night and tonight it is Thursday. However, the State of Origin was on last night and that drew my attention for the evening. That is in the past however and I hope we can all look to the future, more specifically to this weeks round. Let's get into it.

St Pats v Villanova - Villa 1-12
After suffering a devastating defeat at the hands of the powerful Ashgrove side, Villa will look to hit back this week against Pats. Missing last week was their two star backs, fly half and outside centre. Fly half being injured and the outside at the league carnival that was on. Similar to Villa, Pats is also coming off the back of a tough defeat against Padua. This game won't be filled with the best style of play but the pill will definitely be thrown around to ensure great offensive rugby. Villa come away with the W.

Iona v St Edmund's - Iona 1-12
After a solid win against Laurie's, Iona are on a high at the time being. Still undefeated, Eddies will be looking forward to knocking the wind out of the Wynumn boys. Though this may be the case, I just have a feeling that this is the week this Eddies team falls. The home crowd will play a part and if the Iona defence can shut down Setu, they're in with a chance. If in the area, head out and give it a glance or two. Iona in a tight one.

Ashgrove v Padua - Ashgrove 1-12
Ashgrove are on the rise, this week is massive. If both Eddie's and Padua lost this weekend, the competition would become very intriguing. It's no secret that these two sides are not fans of one other. Being undefeated, Padua will look to beat Ashgrove for the first time since 1999 I believe (Don't quote me on that). Nonetheless, the significance of this game is ridiculous. One will rise, one will fall. Neither will give in but there will be a winner. I see the Ashgrove side coming away with the win as a result of displaying great cohesion in last weeks win against Villa. Both undefeated teams will fall to one loss in the season.

St Peter's v St Laurence's - Laurie's 1-12
Not the most exciting match up but if it's footy, it's footy. I stressed last week that Laurie's needed to beat Iona, they didn't. The amount of pressure on the boys this week is insurmountable. They must rise against a weaker St Peters side than those that have been produced in the last few years. The full back for Lauries is in fine form although being in a losing team. Head down to Indooroopilly if you can to see Laurie's snag their first win of the season.

As Always, Keep Learning.
Your Teacher, Mr Footy

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
My tips for the round are as follows:

St. Patrick's Vs. Villanova -

This game will be a hard fought battle by both teams. Villa's season is over but they will still want to finish on good terms. St. Pat's have had an up and down season with 2 wins and 2 losses. After finding out St. Pat's knocked over the 64 year Ashgrove hoodoo in round 1, I was tipping them as the dark horse to win the premiership. It seems like their chances of grabbing their first ever AIC First XV Rugby premiership may be distant for a few more years. But I expect them to come out strong this round and playing up at Curlew in front of the passionate St. Pat's faithful is always an intimidating experience for visiting teams. St. Pat's by 10.

Iona Vs. St. Edmund's -

Iona has been average if we compare them to last years superstars. And as for St. Edmund's, well they have been impressive. However a trip over to the bayside is always a hard game and I expect the Iona boys to lift in front of their home crowd. St. Edmund's have more to play for in this one but I don't expect them to run away with the game. Potentially an upset from this but I cannot go against St Edmund's at the moment, they will be too strong in the end and will continue in the premiership hunt. Eddies by 7.

Ashgrove Vs. Padua -

This game is undoubtedly the game of the round. Another growing rivalry from two northside schools which seems to be growing each year ever since the 2011 round 7 blockbuster game at Banyo. Ashgrove know this will be a very tough game and they always step up when it's tough. Ashgrove will be back in the race if they can beat a very well drilled Paduan outfit. I'll be at the game and I expect a big crowd at McMahon oval. At this stage, I'm backing the brown and gold as I think Ashgrove just aren't up to it this year. This game will definitely not be a blow out, a single digit margin for sure. Padua by 7.

St. Peter's Vs. St. Laurence's -
Can't go past St. Peter's in this one. St. Laurence's sides at present just don't seem to have the courageous mentality of past sides. As previously mentioned, St. Peter's First XV development has been questionable over the years but at the end of the day they are producing competitive sides. This can only be for a better all round competition. I think the boys from Indooroopilly will get the win in this one. Peters by 15+.

Rugby Mentor Greg

Stan Wickham (3)
As we head into the business end of the season, there are some big games this round. Padua and Eddies both looking to cement themselves as unreachable on top of the table and teams such as Pats, Ashgrove and Iona desperately trying to stay in the hunt, should be a cracking round of footy.

Ashgrove vs Padua- Ashgrove
Desperation will get Marist over the line. After starting slow the Marist team is starting to find their form. With this being the last home game of their footballing lives, I expect Marist to be fired up and at their best in front of a huge crowd. A lot of attention has been drawn to the fact that Padua has never beaten Marist in first 15 and I expect that to continue. My tip is a close first half but Marist running away with it in the last 15 minutes. Marist by 12

St Pats vs Villanova- Pats by 3
My tip for the game of the round, both teams have had some unlucky losses and injury affected seasons. Definitely expecting a great game of footy, played with plenty of passion and pride. Tipping Pats home crowd to get them over the line in a tight one. Pats by 3

Iona vs St edmunds
Eddies have established themselves as the cream of the crop in this years competition. I expect this week to be another dominant display by the boys from Ipswich as they will run over the top of Iona en route to being the only undefeated team after round 5. My tip, eddies by 15+

Laurie's vs Peters
A bottom of the table clash, both teams playing to avoid the wooden spoon. I expect Laurie's to stay winless as peters backs will simply be too good for Laurie's. Tipping peters by 10.

nathen coot

Bob McCowan (2)
In my opinion, i dont think the Peters boys will not loose another game, especially to lauries. I think that they will play great structured game this weekend. Peters backs will be to big and fast for the remaining teams that they'll play.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
So now into the business end of our short but sweet season what A teams remain undefeated help me if I missed anyone

1st Eddies Padua
16a Ash
15a Ash
14a Padua Iona
13a ASh Pats

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
So now into the business end of our short but sweet season what A teams remain undefeated help me if I missed anyone

1st Eddies Padua
16a Ash
15a Ash
14a Padua Iona
13a ASh Pats

Padua 15As are also undefeated. They have been annihilating their opposition. Tomorrow against Ash will be a good test.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting to see an Ashgrove old boy will referee the Ashgrove v Padua match. Could make for an interesting result.
Looking forward to watching SEC this arv and how Iona back up after last weekend.

Cameron Toop

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting to see an Ashgrove old boy will referee the Ashgrove v Padua match. Could make for an interesting result.
Looking forward to watching SEC this arv and how Iona back up after last weekend.

Who wrote that ! It's wrong .... Definitely not an Ashgrove old boy .... Maybe a Padua old boy ? CT

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Eddies over Iona 25-14

Cruel game for Iona, dominated much of the game missed 3 penalties kick in first half. Setu grab a loose ball found some space with his fancy footwork and open up the scoring for Eddies.
Much of the game was spent in Eddies red zone, Eddies handle the pressure well. Eddies certainly run hard onto the ball hard, their 15 and 6 will wear the AIC 1 jumper.
Even though not the result Iona wanted or deserve, IMO Iona best game this season.

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Peters 40 - Lauries 17.
Peters forwards provided a good enough platform for their Backs to run all over Lauries. Lauries did spend long periods camped on Peters try line but SPLC defence was pretty solid.
Lauries didn't help themselves with a huge number of missed passes in the back line, so many that they were unable to capitalise on Peters being down to 14 men for most of the 2nd half.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Ashgrove 38 - Padua 22

Unbelievable 2nd half performance from the blue and gold. Padua's hoodoo with Ashgrove was evident today. Padua looked like they would finish the game with over 50 points in the first half but as soon as Ashgrove started to crawl back, Padua's heads were down. Additionally, Padua was down to 14 men with 10 minutes to go and this did not help their confidence. This isn't a skill level problem for Padua College, it's simply an attitude and lack of belief problem facing Marist College Ashgrove. The belief isn't there and it was evident today. If they started the 2nd half with a try, then I suspect that it would have been a win for the brown and gold but unfortunately their hoodoo remains. They will have another good chance to get over Ashgrove next year, this year will be a massive lesson for them. However, they shouldn't panic as they can still get a share of the premiership with Eddies if they win next week. Ashgrove can still be very proud of their efforts this season with a massive upset over arguably the AIC First XV premiership favourites.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
AICrugby101 do you know the the results from the rest of the A games Ash vs Padua?

Unfortunately I do not as I could only make it for the First XV game. Padua's overall performances this has been very good so I'm guessing there would have been some close ones

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Unfortunately I do not as I could only make it for the First XV game. Padua's overall performances this has been very good so I'm guessing there would have been some close ones

What was the crowd like at Ashgrove yesterday?

Did Padua bring a big support crew in anticipation of an historic first win over Ash?

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
What was the crowd like at Ashgrove yesterday?

Did Padua bring a big support crew in anticipation of an historic first win over Ash?

Yes, the Padua community brought a big support crew with many students, teachers, parents and old boys at Ashgrove yesterday. All credit to them for being respectful and humble of yesterdays result. They could have easily blown up due to the fact that they lost but alot of respect for Marist is shown by the Paduans even though they are a northside neighbour and rival.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
So with two rounds to go, Eddies are on top with Padua 2 points behind in 2nd. This weekend will most likely decide the premiership. At the moment, you'd have to say that Eddies are the favourites for an outright premiership. Padua has nothing to lose in this game, they weren't the clear favourites to win this year and they have done very well so far. The pressure is on Eddies that's for sure. With a bit of luck yesterday, Padua would have beaten Ashgrove. Ashgrove had more to play for as it was the last home game for seniors and upsetting Padua's hopes and dreams for a premiership would have made up for their rather under par season so far. They can finish off the season on a high note if they win the next two. I do think that Padua's best chances of undefeated premierships are still yet to come, 2015 and 2016 will be even stronger for the Brown and Gold. As for now, they still got a chance to share a premiership with Eddies. It's good to see the Ipswich and Kedron boys do well at First XV level. Makes the AIC a more interesting competition to follow.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
So with two rounds to go, Eddies are on top with Padua 2 points behind in 2nd. This weekend will most likely decide the premiership. At the moment, you'd have to say that Eddies are the favourites for an outright premiership. Padua has nothing to lose in this game, they weren't the clear favourites to win this year and they have done very well so far. The pressure is on Eddies that's for sure. With a bit of luck yesterday, Padua would have beaten Ashgrove. Ashgrove had more to play for as it was the last home game for seniors and upsetting Padua's hopes and dreams for a premiership would have made up for their rather under par season so far. They can finish off the season on a high note if they win the next two. I do think that Padua's best chances of undefeated premierships are still yet to come, 2015 and 2016 will be even stronger for the Brown and Gold. As for now, they still got a chance to share a premiership with Eddies. It's good to see the Ipswich and Kedron boys do well at First XV level. Makes the AIC a more interesting competition to follow.

If Ashgrove has beaten Padua comfortably in every A game yesterday, 13's - 16's, with Ashgrove's 15A and 16A sides undefeated this year,why are Padua's premiership prospects so bright over the next couple of years?

How many year 11's in the Padua side this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.