• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
This is from a post of mine on last year's club thread after the State Champs / City v Country Game

I mean look at the U13 game / team

14 x GPS Kids
6 x AIC Kids
3 x Private College / State School Kids

Bet anyone anything that at least 4 of those AIC boys will end up at GPS Schools before the end of their School Years are over . Same with the State School kids

And it's a vicious cycle because "Country Recruits/ State School Recruits" will likely increase the GPS to AIC Rep Ratio earlier .

So it roots Country depth , and ultimately , widens the gulf between GPS and AIC competition - and in this vicious and perpetuating cycle, ambitious AIC parents that want to maintain pathway opportunity will / are transferring their sons

Turns out that 3 of the 6 AIC kids transferred ( not 4 as predicted ) and 1 of the " other private colleges / state school kids did too .

Within 6 months and with another 4 years left to run of their schooling

Just sayin

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
For what it's worth I think the dual offering of Rugby and League is smart

GPS Schools scratch their heads and wonder why the majority of league boys and their families don't fall over themselves to embrace Rugby and the greater element of culture embedded in the traditions of that particular school

Who said Culture sits still ?

That some elements of that culture that belonged to a certain place and time still hold relevance with inspiration to "buy in"

Times change and people's wants and needs change

Not being switched on to that , and accommodating to that , and being too proud / inflexible to give your Culture some spit and polish - is perhaps at the centre of the collective opportunity for the AIC Association .

Collective Opportunity must equal Collective Leadership

All of the AIC Schools have a proud tradition not only in Sports but in Christian Education ( predominately Catholic ) and in Pastoral Care and Vocational Guidance.

Care and Empathy and not being treated like a commodity to be owned whilst encouraging continued engagement in Sports that the boys love ( like League ) I am sure would be appealing to a lot of families

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Qld under 20 team for the 1st under 20 series was named today .
23 players: 21 from GPS ; 1 from a state high high school and Tongan Thor from Nz . None from AIC!
I can remember under 18 and 20 teams in 90s early 2000s dominated by Downlands and half the team were AIC( or TAS as it then was) .
I am sorry but this imbalance is not good for Qld or Wallaby rugby. Criticise GPS all you want but proof is in pudding in sport and academics and coaching and facilities.
As Gary Owens said: AIC really has to change its culture .
I mean no disrespect , but this is not a good situation and not replicated in NSW
Blue & white, Yesterday at 9:45 PM Report

Firstly, did I really just read someone from Nudgee implicitly criticising the academic performance of AIC schools? And mentioning "culture" in the same breath? Okay..

Secondly, I guess it really is a mystery as to why the AIC system is not producing players of the quality those same schools were producing 15, 20, 25 years ago. Where have those players gone, and why are the GPS teams so much stronger now in comparison? Hmm, let me have a think about that one, there might even be some threads on it.

Thirdly, you do realise that the GPS system in Sydney has an embargo against sporting scholarships, and that the much bigger Sydney population might also have something to do with the second tier CAS competition being (arguably) stronger than the AIC? Although Ashgrove has beaten Knox, Waverley and Barker in trials (yes, I know, trials) over the last few years, so the disparity between the CAS and AIC comps might not be a great as you think, allowing also for the age difference.

Finally, go back and actually read what Garry Owens had to say on the issues on which you purport to quote him.

No disrespect, of course, just as I refer to my opponent in Court as "my learned friend".

My bad . I should not have said change the "culture ": but rather agree with Gary Owen that AIC step up collectivley "if" they want to stay competitive in rugby.
As for the embargo on scholarships in NSW GPS. Your kidding. Ask the 6 boys from Scots College ( 5 were boarders) or the 4 from Newington ( especially The winger from Fiji)all who made Aussie Schools.
Criticise Nudgee all you like but the undidputed facts are:
1) Full with waiting list with the biggest boarding school in Qld ;
2) A world class running track used by aussie and British comwth games teams;
3) a world class swimmimg facility used by Emily Seebom and other olympians
4) A golf course;
5)cattle yards;
6) more wallabies than all but 1 or 2 other schools.
7)gave the other GPS schools 100 years headstart and became top overall rowing school in 7 years.

Bit hard to get all that( mostly funded by old boys) without a culture - my dear old Galloper

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
My bad . I should not have said change the "culture ": but rather agree with Gary Owen that AIC step up collectivley "if" they want to stay competitive in rugby.
As for the embargo on scholarships in NSW GPS. Your kidding. Ask the 6 boys from Scots College ( 5 were boarders) or the 4 from Newington ( especially The winger from Fiji).
Criticise Nudgee all you like but the undidputed facts are:
1) Full with waiting list;
2) A world class running track used by aussie and British comwth games teams;
3) a world class swimmimg favilty used by Emily Seebom and other olympians
4) A golf course;
5)cattle yards;
6) more wallabies than any other school .
7)gave the other GPS schools 100 years headstart and became top overall rowing school in 7 years.

Bit hard to get all that( mostly funded by old boys) without a culture - my dear old Galloper
Nudgee has produced some Wallabies (25) but is behind Brisbane Grammar (31) Gregory Terrace (32) and Joeys (45). I think Sydney Grammar also has produced more than Nudgee.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
This is from a post of mine on last year's club thread after the State Champs / City v Country Game

Turns out that 3 of the 6 AIC kids transferred ( not 4 as predicted ) and 1 of the " other private colleges / state school kids did too .

Within 6 months and with another 4 years left to run of their schooling

Just sayin
To be fair, you did say "before their school days are over" in your original post or words to that effect. But there is still time...Heaven forbid they are recruited after that!

Another tranche of excellent AIC rugby talent will appear this year. A few new names will be recognised and let's hope the majority stay in the AIC system.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
1) Full with waiting list with the biggest boarding school in Qld

Most AIC schools also have waiting lists. Padua turns down 2 applicants for every 1 boy admitted. I think that speaks more for a culture that parents look for within a school than anything else. No matter how their rugby programs end up looking in ten years time, the AIC schools will continue a proud tradition of quality education and community engagement.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well said Paty, hopefully it's not taken the wrong way by some viewers. Ashgrove had an internal trial on Sunday. Any other trial news?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
nbc-fires-donald-trump-after-he-calls-mexicans-rapists-and-drug-runners.jpg

C'mon now Sid - they'll be none of that anymore

Fencesitter11

Stan Wickham (3)
hopefully AIC team is picked on performances over the season rather than reputation before.....normally a wide spread of schools as well

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Only a few weeks until AIC trials. Best of luck to all teams in their final preps. Work hard, play hard and enjoy your footy.

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
Embarrassing loss for Iona yesterday in there trial against Villanova! 10-12. Both teams played low standard rugby, which can be understood for the first hit out of the season but, Iona had many chances and did not take the opportunity. Nathan Marshall got sent off in about the 25th minute of the game which did not help Iona. Will Feeny came off the bench for an unknown reason. Morgan bishop and Tim Albion played great games as well. Also to mention many of the Villanova forwards played to there potential with the numbers 6,7 and 8 stealing Iona's ball all day in the break down. I will predict after that trial Iona to come 5th and Villa to come 6th.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Also heard the Iona v Villa game was ordinary with a capital 'O'......

First 2 weeks after Easter, Ashgrove play Iona and Lauries in trial games. The Lauries game will be revealing to ascertain if they are to challenge Padua and MCA this year.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Re Villla/Iona trail, do keep in mine only a TRAIL in most cases the games are used to have a look at shadow players.
Interesting that in the 16A game Iona put a cricket score on the Villa team
apparently not even in the same league, potential that some 16s may move into the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.