• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ashgrove is playing in the Confraternity Shield in the June holidays, as well as St Edmonds, St Patrick's, Iona and Padua. At this stage there isn't word re the Broncos Cup. Rugby will still be played in Term 2, if they decide to incorporate RL into program next year it will be in Term 3. I believe it will only strengthen the whole sporting landscape at Ashgrove. The sun will come up in the morning. I hope my boys get to play both.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
There is strong mail to suggest rugby league will be brought in as an AIC Term 3 sport within the next couple of years (they will still play rugby union in Term 2). SEC, SPC and PAD already play in the Confraternity each year with ASH and the like signing up this year. I believe offering rugby league as an AIC sport will have a large competitive advantage over GPS schools. Rather than lose kids to GPS schools, talented league players (and their parents) will be more inclined to stay at an AIC school where they can have the best of both worlds. This initiative would only strengthen both league and union programs.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any gossip re any teams, getting back onto some rugby chat. Ashgrove looks strong, I'm sure Padua will be very strong again with Patties this year.

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
A tough season coming up for many schools. I have heard that most school besides Ashgrove have only just started training. Padua and Ashgrove are looking extremely strong as always, but I would look out for Patty's and Iona to an extent as dark horses for the competition. It will be a interesting season.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Blue and White- maybe you should ask the boys who have declined sporting scholarships from Ashgrove over the last two years as to why they chose to stay at Ashgrove. It has a lot to do with mateship and values. Good luck to the scholarship boys, each to their own.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
One small point I would make for the Rugby Diehards at all Schools ...........irrespective of whether you are GPS or AIC ........Rugby is but one part of an overall offering

The mistake that us Rugby Diehards make is that we frequently misunderstand the order of things when we get pissed at why doesn't the School do this or why doesn't the School do that ( or the Associations )

We lose sign of the fact that Schools don't exist solely for Rugby.

Nor should they.

Fact is : Schools don't preference Rugby to the same priority as many of us do , and so , the wish list of how to improve or organise one activity in the bigger element of multi-activity offerings ..........remains ( in a lot of cases ) a wish list

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Blue and White- maybe you should ask the boys who have declined sporting scholarships from Ashgrove over the last two years as to why they chose to stay at Ashgrove. It has a lot to do with mateship and values. Good luck to the scholarship boys, each to their own.

Well said.
I agree.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
I don't agree Lute. The implication was that the decision was less about rugby and more about other things.

The boys who moved have great values (as do their parents) and will retain mate ships across their respective school and club communities.

Don't imply fire when there is no smoke!

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't agree Lute. The implication was that the decision was less about rugby and more about other things.

The boys who moved have great values (as do their parents) and will retain mate ships across their respective school and club communities.

Don't imply fire when there is no smoke!
Your only replacing mate ship and values with "other things"!,What was said was said,sorry!.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry Lute but you are looking at it the wrong way. All of these schools are based on certain values and mateship. That is why we send our kids to them. The boys who chose to stay at their original school do so because they value what they have. It is not to say that that they won't find the new school has the same values. They don't want to leave their mates. Your barking up the wrong tree mate. its just rugby man.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Hmmm ,I would like to think so but to me there is a lot of ambiguity in that statement that I'm finding hard to dismiss.

Patrick Joseph

Bob McCowan (2)
One small point I would make for the Rugby Diehards at all Schools .....irrespective of whether you are GPS or AIC ....Rugby is but one part of an overall offering

The mistake that us Rugby Diehards make is that we frequently misunderstand the order of things when we get pissed at why doesn't the School do this or why doesn't the School do that ( or the Associations )

We lose sign of the fact that Schools don't exist solely for Rugby.

Nor should they.

Fact is : Schools don't preference Rugby to the same priority as many of us do , and so , the wish list of how to improve or organise one activity in the bigger element of multi-activity offerings ....remains ( in a lot of cases ) a wish list

Very wise words!

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
"Eventually you will have multiple scholarship boys playing in the 2nds in the GPS comp. :"

This has been happening for years now.
Calvin Pritchard (Aussie schools 2014) played in Nudgee 2nds last year.As did Chris veravis for BBC(but a lot of that had to do with coaching clashes)

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
Does someone want to pick the best players from AIC and put them in a AIC 1 team? Excited to see what people think.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Based on my limited knowledge of some/most teams, and on last year's form only, I would think that the following boys would be close to certain AIC XV selections :

Ashgrove: Rafter, Wratten, De Flavis

Padua: Usher, Wood, Ah San, Pringle

SPC: Sikimeti

Iona: Feeney

There are no doubt other guys who are strong favourites, I have only nominated those I'm personally familiar with.

My best guess at this stage is that, in no particular order, Ashgrove, Padua and SPC will finish as the top 3 in the AIC comp and probably dominate AIC XV selection.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Qld under 20 team for the 1st under 20 series was named today .
23 players: 21 from GPS ; 1 from a state high high school and Tongan Thor from Nz . None from AIC!
I can remember under 18 and 20 teams in 90s early 2000s dominated by Downlands and half the team were AIC( or TAS as it then was) .
I am sorry but this imbalance is not good for Qld or Wallaby rugby. Criticise GPS all you want but proof is in pudding in sport and academics and coaching and facilities.
As Gary Owens said: AIC really has to change its culture .
I mean no disrespect , but this is not a good situation and not replicated in NSW

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
The Qld under 20 team for the 1st under 20 series was named today .
23 players: 21 from GPS ; 1 from a state high high school and Tongan Thor from Nz . None from AIC!
I can remember under 18 and 20 teams in 90s early 2000s dominated by Downlands and half the team were AIC( or TAS as it then was) .
I am sorry but this imbalance is not good for Qld or Wallaby rugby. Criticise GPS all you want but proof is in pudding in sport and academics and coaching and facilities.
As Gary Owens said: AIC really has to change its culture .
I mean no disrespect , but this is not a good situation and not replicated in NSW
Blue & white, Yesterday at 9:45 PM Report

Firstly, did I really just read someone from Nudgee implicitly criticising the academic performance of AIC schools? And mentioning "culture" in the same breath? Okay......

Secondly, I guess it really is a mystery as to why the AIC system is not producing players of the quality those same schools were producing 15, 20, 25 years ago. Where have those players gone, and why are the GPS teams so much stronger now in comparison? Hmm, let me have a think about that one, there might even be some threads on it.

Thirdly, you do realise that the GPS system in Sydney has an embargo against sporting scholarships, and that the much bigger Sydney population might also have something to do with the second tier CAS competition being (arguably) stronger than the AIC? Although Ashgrove has beaten Knox, Waverley and Barker in trials (yes, I know, trials) over the last few years, so the disparity between the CAS and AIC comps might not be a great as you think, allowing also for the age difference.

Finally, go back and actually read what Garry Owens had to say on the issues on which you purport to quote him.

No disrespect, of course, just as I refer to my opponent in Court as "my learned friend".

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
A very strong team and good luck to them. Let's see if the selectors and former Churchie lad, Jason Gilmore, got it right or will the more diverse NSW team be stronger?

Yes, the AIC need to lift their game but they are up against it. Watch this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.