• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lauries were a mile off the pace yesterday. Scored first off a chargedown and then it was all Peters. Red Card to the #8 midway through the first half for a dangerous tackle (which was a yellow at worst - refs seem to have no game sense at all) ended the game, also the fact he was the only Lauries forward that had a bit of mongrel about him. Peters were already well on top at that point however. They dominated at the breakdown, had more physicality and ran through the defence with ease. The #15 looks a decent player. They will be beat teams this year but i can't see them beating Ash, Iona or Pats. Lauries looked clueless in attack, the lineout was a mess (particularly after the #5 went off injured) and the defence was terrible. It was painful to watch, although the whole decade has been painful. The #7 had a crack in the second half but he went off injured as well. Where is Lamin at the moment? A long season ahead and again the question is asked, when is something going to be done about the Rugby program and the Director of Sport - because the Old Boys and supporters have had an enough of these embarrassing results.
Very accurate recount...there’s no other word to describe it yesterday - embarrassing. Some boys have a go, but no idea in attack, basic skills just aweful. A number of old boys there yesterday who were disgusted. I’m not even sure they’ll beat eddies. New principal can really stamp his mark on his tenure by getting some new blood at head of sport and head of rugby direction, the current 11s and 12s have been successful all the way through, so how does it continually turn to sh*t at 1st XV level for the last decade?!

Theclassicmeatpie

Bob McCowan (2)
Pats beat villa 31-12

Physical game that was fairly competitive. Villa started off with 7-0 lead in 15 min however the next 20 min stretch decided the game in which pats were unstoppable going over for 4 tries in the period. The second half was back and forth.

mcdonladclan

Bob McCowan (2)
I didn’t think it was a red card but when you give the touchy the chance to run on then anything can happen. For me a red should be for serious foul play and I don’t think what Bruce did qualifies. An earlier spear tackle from Marist was just a caution but running into someone is a red card. Yeah he took the man out but is that a red card offence? It was a stupid thing to do but for me a red was harsh and pretty much ended Padua’s game. Thought Padua started really well but they are just missing a game breaker in the backline, someone with pace. With all the early possession/field position they had to score to make a game of it but they just weren’t good enough to do it. Marist were just too consistently strong across the park and I would say a lot better prepared/coached. Having said that I didn’t walk away thinking Marist are unbeatable and I think Iona will give them a good run for their money next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so you dont want the touchy to do this job? and running straight at a guy who doesnt have the ball at such speed that you practically knock yourself out is the epitome of "serious foul play", or is that just schoolyard highjinks at kedron?

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
so you dont want the touchy to do this job? and running straight at a guy who doesnt have the ball at such speed that you practically knock yourself out is the epitome of "serious foul play", or is that just schoolyard highjinks at kedron?

Looking at the incident from the Grandstand it looked like Tevega was looking at the ball in the air and not the man or men in front. That might and I emphasis might, possibly be the reason why he had a arm out stretched and collided with the prop and not the ball catcher and nearly knocking himself out. I'd like to think he's not silly enough to take someone out and knock himself out doing it. I thought it looked like he was going for the ball and ran into someone he did not see. I could be completely wrong.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
With Darcy Stevens and Finocchiaro upfront Iona would figure to go all right in the tight stuff . Like all AIC Teams not named Marist it depends on how seriously they take their strength / fitness prep and basic drilling re : catch /pass , on ball etc

They are some very good prospects at other AIC Schools - and who may well have better athletic capacity than their opponents ( IE the best "units" combined with raw talent over the last few years have really mainly come St Pats and Padua to a lesser degree - but - a lot of what finally happens comes down to preparation and this is where MCA have the march on the rest of the AIC at the moment

@Ali Barber - perhaps an AIC Premiers v Downlands Cup in June -the winner earns the right to play GPS Bye Rounds for that season

It might interfere with AIC ( and a large number of their students ) commitment to league in Term 3 - either Confraternity Shield or Club

The "best of" AIC and "best of" Downlands get their shot at the GPS guys ( 1, 2 and 3 ) through June anyway so not sure there would be much desire to increase more competition in Term 3 when School and Boys are moving on to other interests ( and fair enough too )

Nice one Gary. By the time the AIC or GPS season finishes, you've a one week window for a Trophy Game otherwise your lost into holidays or other sport. After watching Downlands play Ash midweek at a Rugby Club and the number of people who traveled to watch it from Toowoomba and Brisbane, my kid plays term 3, but its the only rugby we can watch Term 2. Fact, the AIC comp doesn't match the GPS, but there's a few teams inc Downlands and Marist who would give any GPS leading team a big nudge or more. Just look at what Ippy did to TSS last year. GT put in a couple of ordinary rounds as did SH, BGS & BBC. The GPS season is only one round plus a bye longer than AIC.
AIC can strengthen their comp and new blood will do that. They can't afford to lose players to the elite scholarship schools anymore. Straight after the U16 Aus championships two schools threw everything to get 3 Red boys. One from St Pats, one from Marist and one from Padua - all backs. So it's not too hard to work out who they are. The year before two other GPS schools targeted the same boys. Snooze you lose. The good news for AIC is they all stayed at their Northside Schools.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Actually...Rugby really should be played over 2 x Terms at both GPS and AIC Schools and other Colleges / Schools with an Intra Conference / Inter Conference mix of competition built around Divisions and relegation

Sort of how the NZ Schools system works

While we are on NZ .......I note that broadcast of NZ First XV Rugby is worth more ( commercially ) than broadcast of the ITM Cup.

Stands to reason if you parallel it ( relatively speaking ) with big audiences in US College Sports and even High School Sports

Note : We even get the Junior World Series of Baseball broadcast on ESPN here in Australia with regional rep teams from around the US and teams from Australia , Japan , and Latin America competing. 12 to 13 year olds.

The point is there is a massive interest in "Pre-Pro" elite / best of best sport around the globe and an entire media built around it

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
But back to your point Ali about the kitchen sink being thrown at the 3 x Red Boys .........Meh. Would it be fair to say the targeted boys already have their heart in league ? That's my mail.

Terrace and I believe even Nudgee are getting pretty desperate . Well Terrace have been desperate and misguided for a good 2 to 3 years now but that belongs on another thread. But Nudgee have been outgunned on a number of high profile targets and I guess you can only keep raping Wavell High and St Pats forever. But like I said that belongs on another thread.

Unless they were prepared to come across and pay full fees , or , have someone pay their fees if they were unwilling /unable , or , repeat Grade 10 ( bit hard to do if they were going into Grade 12 ) - they wouldn't have been eligible to play anyway if they were on any form of concession - see : Headmasters Agreement that governs these things

That's why you saw a wealthy Dad or two at Churchie writing the cheque for a few players that came late back in those loaded 2014 and 2015 teams with Sua , Croft , Mason , Perese , Ponga , Fox , Scott Young , Hockings , Wright .....etc etc

That 15A team was already pretty loaded in 2012 and up until that point had been one of the more successful and highly anticipated First XV Open Teams for a long, long time and then there were a couple ......ah ......ahem .....late additions

Anyway ALL GPS Headmasters are very cognisant of last minute WOTIF's now and have been for a few years truth be told and the officially unofficial gentlemen's agreement otherwise known as The Headmasters Agreement with a few key , simple rules is about the only thing that drives and binds

Which is why I don't fully buy the whole story. It would have had to have come with some hitches

And I was being facetious about the Marist v Downlands Cup . I guess that didn't come across in my post so well :)

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
But back to your point Ali about the kitchen sink being thrown at the 3 x Red Boys ...Meh. Would it be fair to say the targeted boys already have their heart in league ? That's my mail.

Terrace and I believe even Nudgee are getting pretty desperate . Well Terrace have been desperate and misguided for a good 2 to 3 years now but that belongs on another thread. But Nudgee have been outgunned on a number of high profile targets and I guess you can only keep raping Wavell High and St Pats forever. But like I said that belongs on another thread.

Unless they were prepared to come across and pay full fees , or , have someone pay their fees if they were unwilling /unable , or , repeat Grade 10 ( bit hard to do if they were going into Grade 12 ) - they wouldn't have been eligible to play anyway if they were on any form of concession - see : Headmasters Agreement that governs these things

That's why you saw a wealthy Dad or two at Churchie writing the cheque for a few players that came late back in those loaded 2014 and 2015 teams with Sua , Croft , Mason , Perese , Ponga , Fox , Scott Young , Hockings , Wright ...etc etc

That 15A team was already pretty loaded in 2012 and up until that point had been one of the more successful and highly anticipated First XV Open Teams for a long, long time and then there were a couple ..ah ..ahem ...late additions

Anyway ALL GPS Headmasters are very cognisant of last minute WOTIF's now and have been for a few years truth be told and the officially unofficial gentlemen's agreement otherwise known as The Headmasters Agreement with a few key , simple rules is about the only thing that drives and binds

Which is why I don't fully buy the whole story. It would have had to have come with some hitches

And I was being facetious about the Marist v Downlands Cup . I guess that didn't come across in my post so well :)

Garrrryy, I did get the Cup bit as a yoke. Back to our discussion. Scholarships have been the curse of rugby and truely do it no glory or to any gain. I think one of the boys in question has a long term hope of RL. I know both the other boys pretty well from Club and Rep rugby and they play RL for the competition. RU comp with split comps and 5 game seasons aren't the match. Second lad is in a Rep squad with my boy and loves RU but still plays RL because he can play it all year. I'll say one thing is he didn't need to go to RL to get any tougher as he was a very tough competitive kid playing for GPS. As it turns out, he's not too bad in both codes and is a pretty simple no fuss kid. The third lad is a mystery because his parents hate RL and the boy hasn't reached any greater heights playing it. And... yes one of the schools you mentioned were one of the main bidders according to two of the dads and i might also say that the two schools were never a chance with two of the boys I know of.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Very accurate recount.there’s no other word to describe it yesterday - embarrassing. Some boys have a go, but no idea in attack, basic skills just aweful. A number of old boys there yesterday who were disgusted. I’m not even sure they’ll beat eddies. New principal can really stamp his mark on his tenure by getting some new blood at head of sport and head of rugby direction, the current 11s and 12s have been successful all the way through, so how does it continually turn to sh*t at 1st XV level for the last decade?!

HLF no doubt Lauries were off the pace yesterday and many of the old boys who were there were not happy with the result including some of last years grade 12 boys.

I do feel the need to correct you on some of your statements. Firstly the current grade 12 cohort could hardly be described as successful all of the way through unless you are talking about another sport. In grade 10 they did not win a game and in grade 11 they won only one. They had really only two players who were fisrt XV level last year and one of them being Peter Lamin is injured.

The current grade 11 boys had a good year in grade 10 and made some good progress under the new first Xv coach and the now 2nds coach and frankly if you are expecting them be the difference while in grade 11 you are kidding yourself.

SLC has only gained a real gym in the last 9 months and I agree with your previous posts that it takes about two years to get a good program together and see results. The deficiencies of the previous headmasters views on sport role in the development of young men will take some time to filter out.

So to your point changes have been made and it will take patience to see the results, but on the results issue I understand that the first XV was the only loss for Lauries rugby at SPLC yesterday.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was at Iona to watch Padua, Iona and Westlake (NZ touring team) play a half against each other. First up was Iona v Westlake. Westlake had some real monsters in their tight 5 and played a good style of rugby. Iona, to their credit were not far off the pace and I believe it was about 2 tries to 1 after the half. Impressions of Iona are that they are a good side. Some good size in key positions and some good skills in the backs. Next Iona played Padua. Iona were on top in the early stages with Padua unable to maintain any continuity. Iona then had two put in the sin bin and Padua was able to take advantage of the extra space and score 2 tries. Padua's first try was down to their no 10. Second try was a good solo effort from their winger. Padua then played Westlake and got slaughtered. It was about 48-0 when I left. Overall impression of Padua is that they will not be in the hunt for a premiership. Padua have 4 top end players. The rest, to be honest would not have come anywhere near being part of the first XV teams of the past 5 years. If Padua lose their no 10 , who is real class, then they will really struggle. I am just hoping they can lift themselves for Marist next week and keep the score close. From what I have seen Padua would be like 100-1 to beat Marist in round 1. My tip is Marist by 30.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
HLF no doubt Lauries were off the pace yesterday and many of the old boys who were there were not happy with the result including some of last years grade 12 boys.

I do feel the need to correct you on some of your statements. Firstly the current grade 12 cohort could hardly be described as successful all of the way through unless you are talking about another sport. In grade 10 they did not win a game and in grade 11 they won only one. They had really only two players who were fisrt XV level last year and one of them being Peter Lamin is injured.

The current grade 11 boys had a good year in grade 10 and made some good progress under the new first Xv coach and the now 2nds coach and frankly if you are expecting them be the difference while in grade 11 you are kidding yourself.

SLC has only gained a real gym in the last 9 months and I agree with your previous posts that it takes about two years to get a good program together and see results. The deficiencies of the previous headmasters views on sport role in the development of young men will take some time to filter out.

So to your point changes have been made and it will take patience to see the results, but on the results issue I understand that the first XV was the only loss for Lauries rugby at SPLC yesterday.
O
Thanks for clearing that up for me happy man my old age must be getting to me. Yes the 10A team did make some great progress last season; losing to Iona who had 9 players out in the last round; seems like great progress from a team that had comfortably beaten Iona the 2 years before that. The year 12s current, did beat ashgrove in year 9. I had many a headknock playing at Chipsy wood over the years so my memory may have failed me with that.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Pats beat villa 31-12

Physical game that was fairly competitive. Villa started off with 7-0 lead in 15 min however the next 20 min stretch decided the game in which pats were unstoppable going over for 4 tries in the period. The second half was back and forth.
Yeah Pats ended up winning well - Villa seems to have a game plan of always kicking away the pill in their own half. Which would be fine if their chase was ok - but it wasn’t and Pats simply countered in broken traffic - some pretty poor defence by Villa. The first 10 mins they looked pretty good - but then Pats woke up and seemed to get serious. Based on what I have read here Villa will probably beat Laurie’s and that’s it unless they improve big time.

Villa seconds destroyed Pats by a cricket score - and seemed to have a much bigger pack than their Firsts ? Selections may be an issue?
Villa 10As looked pretty good as usual. Slow start but ended up beating Pats well. That age group is super competitive with Villa, Iona , Laurie’s and Ashgrove all strong. Worth watching those games.

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)
Villa 10As looked pretty good as usual. Slow start but ended up beating Pats well. That age group is super competitive with Villa, Iona , Laurie’s and Ashgrove all strong. Worth watching those games.

Iona?
Based on last years 9a’s form, I’m not sure haw being on the back end of 4 towlings (ok, 3 towlings and a competitive Darby match against Villa) makes them competitive.

Mystic Mac

Frank Row (1)
Mystic Mac is back.

28/4/18 Curlew Park Pats v Villa - The Battle for the colours.

A 31-12 scoreline is a solid start for Pats but probably not as strong as they would have liked to have been. Villa caught them off guard but were unable to keep up with the physicality they were being opposed with by Pats. Pats will need to be a lot better to beat Marist. However, a wins a win and they`ll take it. Should be interesting to see how they go next week against Peters who have a suprise package at the back. Villa Captain #4 played well along with the #15 who had Pats on their back heel a few times with kicks along the ground threw the line, #9 for Villa does not look like a First XV player due to his size and looked a bit scared by just being happy to pass the ball with no other input to the game. Pats #15, #6, #3, #2, #7 and #11 the ones to watch in that order.

Marist still the team to beat.

Eddies looking like another year of struggling lies ahead.

IONA, Padua, Pats and Marist to decided the top 4.

Peters the underdog suprise package.

Lauries bang average.

Mystic Mac signing off

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Was at Cameron Oval to watch the 10A game and was mightily impressed by the Ash team. Had scored about 4 tries before Padua touched the ball, and all from well drilled forward play and then some sublime back skills. The size of the packs was similar (except the monster Padua prop) but the Ash boys dominated all facets of play. Final score was 75-5. Did a background check on last years score and ASH scraped home 17-14. I have no idea on the make up of either team and if Padua had key players missing, but that is a big turnaround in anyone's books. Understand Villa and SLC also strong in this age group.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
The Padua 10A team last week had only 5 or 6 genuine A players available. I also watched the game and thought Padua’s effort was pretty much embarrassing. The boys who played up from the B’s just weren’t prepared to put their bodies on the line at all. The try scored by one of the Marist backrowers off the kickoff said it all about Padua on the day. No ticker whatsoever. It’s a week too late but the team for this week is back to full strength except for one of the better backs who will hopefully be back in 2 weeks. I expect the result this week will be a big turnaround. It will be a completely different team from last week. In terms of the Marist team I believe they have a pair of new boarders in the centres but not sure there was any other new players on last year. Agree Marist looked well coached and prepared but Padua were woeful on the day. Heard SLC and Marist played 17 all draw the previous week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was not a single new boy in the Ashgrove 10A’s last weekend.

Probably their most talented back, Floyd Aubrey who usually plays at 15, wasn’t there.

Status
Not open for further replies.