• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any word on the MCA back who injured his wrist or thumb in the trial. From all accounts he was one of the bigger names in the team?
Also any predictions for 2018 round 1.
Yet to hear anything abt SPLC.

My lads (GPS rugby) went and watched MCA v SLC and said it was Lachlan TennisonWoods who was injured and notably probably their biggest name and they said he went under the knife saturday afternoon (snapchat) and was home Sunday. They say he was to fly to Townsville Saturday Night with Paduas 10 Danny Heenan to play for Norths RL in the Mal Maninga Cup. I guess he didn't make it. My lads mate who plays rep with him said he touched the ball 3 times before getting injured and scored on his first and set the next two tries up. They might miss him in the tougher games. Certainly won't against SLC, lads say Ashgrove belted them about 50 to nothing.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Last years 10 A trial saw ASH 60 something Vs SLC 0
AIC round was a draw, about 12 all, sometimes the hounds forget they are in the hunt.[/quote]
An ASH parent sent from the venue for mouthing off inside the rope

Cameron Toop

Stan Wickham (3)
Last years 10 A trial saw ASH 60 something Vs SLC 0
AIC round was a draw, about 12 all, sometimes the hounds forget they are in the hunt.
An ASH parent sent from the venue for mouthing off inside the rope[/quote]
Great running rugby from the Boys in the Rosalie Jersies... fit mobile forwards.
Interesting observation Torpedo, they should keep it in mind for next year when it may apply. I recall the Ashgrove 16As winning well last year.
Also Please start a non rugby thread if you want to talk about loud mouth parents, its nothing to do with this thread, unfortunately all schools have them...some more than others. . Please don’t suggest Ashgrove is a main offender, that’s just wrong.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Great running rugby from the Boys in the Rosalie Jersies. fit mobile forwards.
Interesting observation Torpedo, they should keep it in mind for next year when it may apply. I recall the Ashgrove 16As winning well last year.
Also Please start a non rugby thread if you want to talk about loud mouth parents, its nothing to do with this thread, unfortunately all schools have them.some more than others. . Please don’t suggest Ashgrove is a main offender, that’s just wrong.
[/quote]

My apologies, I agree thats not what we are here for. I just wanted to make a reference in case someone suggested this big turn around in the score didnt happen. It did happen I was there and I only inserted that to prove that that was the game concerned. I agree and should have thought better.
Having said that I stand my ground....it was not the 16 As ( that is not how the AIC refer to them ) it was the 10 As and ...it did happen it was amazing to be there and was the biggest commotion all day.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
10As = circa 15As.

Ashgrove 16As won well last year. But 10As was 7 all in a cliff hanger.

Anyone know how Villa fared on Saturday against SPC baked beans and spaghetti?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd be interested to know of Marists results in New Zealand v

1. Hamilton Boys High ( 3rd in 2017 and 5 in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

2. Sacred Heart College ( 5th in 2017 and 3rd in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

3. Tauranga Boys College ( 28th in 2017 and 18th in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

Galloper made comment a few pages back that 6 games were played ( presumably MCA 1st Team and MCA 2nd Team against teams those Schools supplied )

Were the games close ?

Did these Schools put their full strength teams forward ?

Whatever the composition and results however - much respect to MCA for setting the bar high and going and have a crack

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Season ending break? or re-setting a dislocation which may be a couple of weeks.

My lad says the go with LTW after his operation on saturday and apparently on media which sends pictures and the like, he had pins or a plate inserted in his hand and I don't know whether thats a hand or a finger but that's a few weeks at least. It's pretty cool a lot of these boys from both AIC & GPS schools all chat to eachother and if you want to know whats going on then just ask one of them.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'd be interested to know of Marists results in New Zealand v

1. Hamilton Boys High ( 3rd in 2017 and 5 in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

2. Sacred Heart College ( 5th in 2017 and 3rd in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

3. Tauranga Boys College ( 28th in 2017 and 18th in 2016 in New Zealand School's First XV competition )

Galloper made comment a few pages back that 6 games were played ( presumably MCA 1st Team and MCA 2nd Team against teams those Schools supplied )

Were the games close ?

Did these Schools put their full strength teams forward ?

Whatever the composition and results however - much respect to MCA for setting the bar high and going and have a crack

Boys are saying it was much like Ashgrove, the opposition used trial squads as well, so probably not full strength as such. They say geraghty and rozka were the stand outs in the forwards and tennysonwoods and the fullback were stand outs in the backs, all against some pretty respectable opposition.
Did anyone hear that SLC rested half a dozen players or is that an excuse for a mind game.
Presume Padua and iona fielded their best squads as probably did marist.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
The game of Round 1 will be MCA v the Poo & Wee.
Hopefully a packed house with MCA at home. Reds on that arvo (not club rugby) so a few extras may wander in from the suburb to watch the local boys. Surely better viewing than watching the Reds getting mauled in the sun at suncorp.
Any confirmed team sheets yet for this game?
Marist looked the goods and played as a solidified team last week in the trial, without any real superstar standouts like in previous years. It was over after 20 minutes so it just became a training run for MCA as the SLC heads were down. My prediction is MCA in a closer game than expected (say by 15). Padua get up for this game each year so anything is possible. In the last 3 years this has been the premiership game (typified by great defence) and will set the platform for the season.

mcdonladclan

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Mcdonladclan, Im interested in what timespan you think the AIC has dropped over ? Also interested in what ways ?
I can only compare it to 30 years ago . I can say the standard is so much better than back then.
A couple of points from that timing. Iona, and Padua are so much stronger than the schools they replaced There used to be 3 or 4 very easy games each season.not now. Also the players then only trained one term with no all year round programs like they all have now. This column criticises Lauries but they have a great new gym and professional strength and conditioning coaching program and they train all year round. I wonder if those who criticise used to get 4 easy games a year and dont understand that now there are no easy games. I would say that todays AIC teams would embarrass 90s teams by comparison. So I assume youre talking much shorter timespan. Hopefully you arent talking comparisons with GPS because that is a purely scholarship issue. Keen to hear your thoughts?

No mate, just the last few years -with any promising players shifting to GPS schools, the aic just isnt what it has been - ashgrove still have a bigger sporting student body over other aic schools so i'm pretty sure my diabetic aunt could coach them to a premiership again this year..

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Fear not Friends .......I reckon the AIC is on the cusp of a major rebound this year in Open Schoolboys

I can see between 6 to 8 spots across QLD 1 and 2 , and I would estimate circa 6 to 8 spots from CAS

Given recent history and numbers in Rep - that's pretty good

I see CAS backing it up in the same level of numbers next year too .......so , there are good things happening outside of GPS Schools Rugby

Cameron Toop

Stan Wickham (3)
Was just shown the MCA run on for Saturday. No Leaguies to be seen . Were they not available or didn’t they make the cut ?
Did Padua pick there Leaugies ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I would say Padua would have no compunction in picking their League guys

MCA on the other hand .....might be still foxing and not showing their full hand , or , it could just be the hand that they've been dealt , or , they might feel they have a bird in the hand for Padua that's worth two in the bush

It will be an enthralling day for all concerned on Saturday and a great opportunity for the more cerebral of us in the crowd to bear witness as to how Sun Tzu would have done Rugby had he have lived in our time

I am sure when the Ref calls time we'll all put our hands together in appreciation for a hotly contested game

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was just shown the MCA run on for Saturday. No Leaguies to be seen . Were they not available or didn’t they make the cut ?
Did Padua pick there Leaugies ?
Who do you refer to ?

Why would you pick the RL player to play the RL player? Breakdowns would be no compete!

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
With the exception of LTW who will be out with his injury any major changes to the MCA run on from last week?

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
MCA XV team for Padua
1. J Downs
2. R White
3. B. Roszka
4. B. Geragety c
5. J. Heinke
6. L. Howse
7. D. Perrers
8. B.Byrne
9. S.Stephens