• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes Havealook made the trek out to Villa. In the 1sts Iona were never in it. This was Villa's best performance of the year. Villa had 80% of the pill in the 1st half and by the 19th minute of the second half had got out to 36-7 before two late Iona tries added some respectability to the score.

The 2nd XV also went to Villa in a pretty spiteful affair. Poor discipline from both sides won't see them come near Ashgrove or SLC in this grade if what was on display yesterday is to be repeated in the coming weeks. To me the 2nd XV GF was probably happening out at Runcorn yesterday.

The 15A's was 8-7 to Villa, but Iona would be kicking themselves after dominating much of the first half and the last ten minutes, then turning down a very kickable penalty with less than a minute to go.

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)
17 - 0. So let it go.
SLC were lucky not to have a man off for 10 given the hit on ASH No 15 - who had his chin glued back up, and played no more part.
Just look forward to next year. Ash won the seconds and SLC snuck home by a point in the 10As.
Will next year make a decade for ASH or did they get the 10 years today?
Let it go.

Next year will be 10 years

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
A couple of things with Lauries v Ash.

1. The game was won and lost in the first half. You have to come away with points if you have opportunities in the 22. Lauries should have explored taking the 3 points more in hindsight. Even at 10-3 down at HT it would have been a big difference.
2. The refereeing was poor. I am unsure how Ash were not given a yellow for the consistent infringements during the first half when Lauries were attacking. The first try the final pass was about a metre forward. If the touch judges aren't watching that you may as well just have 2 schoolboys running the sideline. That Lauries were not being rewarded for the clearly superior scrum too was ridiculous.
3. The Ash backrow was very good and along with Aubrey probably the difference in the end.
4. Apart from the 7 all draw 2 years ago, this has always been a likely golden year for Ash. They were heavy favourites and a 2-3 try difference is a fair indication. Villa will need to match the physicality off Ash for the full 70 mins. I think that will be a tough task.
5. Next year will be a cracker but beating Ash at home is the hardest task in AIC. Hopefully the result hurts and is extra motivation for the younger boys in the team to break the drought next year.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)

Interesting that so many SLC supporters thought the pass was forward but none of the men closest to the action react.
I was not at the game but heard the first 5 penalties of the game went to Lauries and once that evened out, Ashgrove dominated.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Also heard that the late hit on Ashgrove #15 that opened up his chin and ensured he took no further part deserved further scrutiny.

At schoolboy level, I don't mind a referee that keeps his cards in his pocket. The cards given in recent games have verged on the silly and of watching too much of Angus Gardiner, who gives out more cards than a tarot reader.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
"MCA were the better team - no question . But it’s unfortunate that basic catch / pass errors led to 2 of MCA’s tries ( and not as a result of any undue pressure ) and poor midfield defense led to MCA’s other try ."

The try to #15 looked like a straight forward strip by the replacement Ashgrove player in black headgear of the Lauries ball carrier (#8) after missed cleanouts at the breakdown by the tight five men in black in that ruck and the previous.

That 11 for Ashgrove has some hot wheels. The assistant referee is left at the starting blocks!

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)

Interesting that so many SLC supporters thought the pass was forward but none of the men closest to the action react.
I was not at the game but heard the first 5 penalties of the game went to Lauries and once that evened out, Ashgrove dominated.

it was forward, however regardless of that Ashgrove dominated

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Also heard that the late hit on Ashgrove #15 that opened up his chin and ensured he took no further part deserved further scrutiny.

At schoolboy level, I don't mind a referee that keeps his cards in his pocket. The cards given in recent games have verged on the silly and of watching too much of Angus Gardiner, who gives out more cards than a tarot reader.

Saw Floyd Aubrey doing the MCA walkathon today with a bandage on his chin and a footy in his hand, doesn’t look to me like he’ll miss any games.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
"MCA were the better team - no question . But it’s unfortunate that basic catch / pass errors led to 2 of MCA’s tries ( and not as a result of any undue pressure ) and poor midfield defense led to MCA’s other try ."

The try to #15 looked like a straight forward strip by the replacement Ashgrove player in black headgear of the Lauries ball carrier (#8) after missed cleanouts at the breakdown by the tight five men in black in that ruck and the previous.

That 11 for Ashgrove has some hot wheels. The assistant referee is left at the starting blocks!

You are correct sir.

I was down the other end where it looked like a fumble but no one else on that field scores that try other than Aubrey. Also correct that missed cleans by the Lauries boys were contributory to that opportunity.

Full marks to the MCA boys in making Lauries pay

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe in some ways the match of the season could be MCA and Villa instead of MCA and Lauries

Hamish Muir and Floyd Aubrey young head to head as 2 guys capable of turning any game on its head

Aubrey has a deeper supporting cast behind him and Villa don’t have the set piece dominance of SLC. But Livingstone ( 6/8 ) Stokes ( 9 ) and Agnew (11/14 ) are as good as or better than anyone in their spot in the competition .

If Villa can compete in the scrap and create opportunity out wide for Hamish Muir- they will have the closer / game breaker that SLC didn’t.

Clarence McLean

Bob McCowan (2)

Not sure if you could say it was a late hit. Was at the game and from where I was it looked like the SLC 14 hit him hard and clean with a full run up just as the ball came into his hand. Woulda been some serious whiplash, but not illegal. Real shame as well because that 15 was far and away the most dangerous player on the field. He seemed a level above everyone else and the tension in the Lauries side was palpable everytime he got his hands on the ball.

Clarence McLean

Bob McCowan (2)
Maybe in some ways the match of the season could be MCA and Villa instead of MCA and Lauries

Hamish Muir and Floyd Aubrey young head to head as 2 guys capable of turning any game on its head

Aubrey has a deeper supporting cast behind him and Villa don’t have the set piece dominance of SLC. But Livingstone ( 6/8 ) Stokes ( 9 ) and Agnew (11/14 ) are as good as or better than anyone in their spot in the competition .

If Villa can compete in the scrap and create opportunity out wide for Hamish Muir- they will have the closer / game breaker that SLC didn’t.

Villa's attack may be better than Lauries, but their defence is miles behind. The SLC boys have kept Iona and Eddies to 0, whilst Villa have conceded 12 and 19 points to those two teams respectively. I hate to say it (and it is an early call) but if Lauries couldn't do it, I don't think any team in the AIC this year will be able to topple MCA. For the sake of competitiveness, I hope I'm wrong.

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)

The Villa Vs Marist game was always going to be the game of the season. The only commentators who thought otherwise were black and gold supporters - schoolboys (notable for their poor grammar and spelling mistakes), oldboys and all.

For even the remotest of chances, Laurie’s needed to try to shut the Marist 15 down, which they did with what could only be described as a late and dangerous tackle.

Reading back through a week of comments on this thread; fumbles, forward passes, historical 7 all draws, and individual player comparisons are a poor endorsement for a team that played with a lot of heart for the first 20 minutes, but then played like they gave up for the last 20.

I hope that Villa don’t roll over that easily.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
What makes you think Lauries gave up ? I don't think that is fair or accurate . MCA had a few breaks or half breaks down the stretch - most notably on the left wing that looked promising . Lauries cover to snuff it out was pretty good.

For the fact they don't have a closer in their backline shouldn't be misconstrued that they gave up . Bear in mind that outside of some strong mid field running from Radford and the penetration from Aubrey when he was on field , there really wasn't anything else that troubled Lauries defense

The result was about right . Even without Lauries errors that gifted the points to Marist - with a healthy Aubrey it still would have been in the same ball park of a 15 to 20 point game

Was interested in some of the choices though not to take points in what was then a 10 point game which ultimately led to turnover and loss of opportunity for any points . Thought the decision making was poor. Lauries did have the capacity to get field position from time to time and with the dominance of their set piece , MCA could have unnecessarily put themselves under pressure . In a 10 point game with no set piece - you take the points . Anyway all is well that ends well

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
The Villa Vs Marist game was always going to be the game of the season. The only commentators who thought otherwise were black and gold supporters - schoolboys (notable for their poor grammar and spelling mistakes), oldboys and all.

For even the remotest of chances, Laurie’s needed to try to shut the Marist 15 down, which they did with what could only be described as a late and dangerous tackle.

I said earlier in the pre season that Villa would be competitive due to successful age groups starting to come through and as a result of their rugby program. I also said that I didn’t think Villa could win the Comp but that they would trouble sides that took them lightly. Further that would end up in the top half of the table. I will now, based on form, revisit that prediction. I still believe Ash will win that match as Villa has a habit of giving away dumb penalties which , against a side like MCA, will be costly.
The comment made in another post re Villa’s defence is probably harsh. Iona only scored 2 late tries when the game was done and dusted and Villa were out on their feet. No subs were used by Villa which would have injected fresh legs into the defensive line.

Bottom line is - can Villa beat MCA? Answer - Yes they have the strike power to match up nicely and they are playing at Villa Park which will help.
Will they beat MCA? Answer - most likely no unless they play with a lot more discipline than they have shown so far. Part of that is their rush defence which is dynamic but gives refs lots of excuses to blow the whistle for offside. Before Saturday I said MCA would win and they did. I now predict an undefeated MCA premiership with Villa looming as scary for next year with 9 players returning and a strong age group underneath and a continuation of their strong 2nd XV form.
Prediction of score ? ASH by 10 in a high scoring match - should be a cracker.
Final say - SLC v Villa will be mind blowing last round match if Villa prove me wrong, beat the pundits and roll ASH.

Reading back through a week of comments on this thread; fumbles, forward passes, historical 7 all draws, and individual player comparisons are a poor endorsement for a team that played with a lot of heart for the first 20 minutes, but then played like they gave up for the last 20.

I hope that Villa don’t roll over that easily.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
said earlier in the pre season that Villa would be competitive due to successful age groups starting to come through and as a result of their rugby program. I also said that I didn’t think Villa could win the Comp but that they would trouble sides that took them lightly. Further that would end up in the top half of the table. I will now, based on form, revisit that prediction. I still believe Ash will win that match as Villa has a habit of giving away dumb penalties which , against a side like MCA, will be costly.
The comment made in another post re Villa’s defence is probably harsh. Iona only scored 2 late tries when the game was done and dusted and Villa were out on their feet. No subs were used by Villa which would have injected fresh legs into the defensive line.

Bottom line is - can Villa beat MCA? Answer - Yes they have the strike power to match up nicely and they are playing at Villa Park which will help.
Will they beat MCA? Answer - most likely no unless they play with a lot more discipline than they have shown so far. Part of that is their rush defence which is dynamic but gives refs lots of excuses to blow the whistle for offside. Before Saturday I said MCA would win and they did. I now predict an undefeated MCA premiership with Villa looming as scary for next year with 9 players returning and a strong age group underneath and a continuation of their strong 2nd XV form.
Prediction of score ? ASH by 10 in a high scoring match - should be a cracker.
Final say - SLC v Villa will be mind blowing last round match if Villa prove me wrong, beat the pundits and roll ASH.