• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Well done to the underdogs from Pats who must be disappointed they let Padua get away with a late draw 20 all.

Lauries can count themselves lucky by the look of that charge down. That is a yellow card (SLC 15) and a penalty to Villa at the very least.

Anyone know the SPLC v Iona result?

Looks like Marist had a close win.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
So a late penalty goal to Lauries for 10-8. They already had a red carded player hence the ref's hesitancy perhaps to give a yellow to the fullback who clearly breached twice. It looked shoulder to shoulder but it was an open push and then a grab of the jersey. Don't think the Villa player is guaranteed to get to the line but SLC should have been down to 13 for 10 mins.

But sounds like Lauries were the better team and Villa had many chances to win the match.

Iona got the better of St Peters 17-10.
Ashgrove put 87 on Eddies
St Patricks 20 Padua 20

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow, a few cracking games around the grounds by the looks of it, with a fair few feeling hard done by. Pats result particularly surprising, some foxing been going up Sandgate way?

I did my best to watch the SPLC v Iona on livestream (thanks for the links Scout) on my phone, but was a bit difficult From what I could tell Peters has a very large pack and dominated scrumtime, but apart from that there was very little in it upfront. The difference was the Iona backs who seemed a bit more adventurous and direct in attack, with the 10 and 12 very impressive. The 12 from Peters was massive and dangerous at times but drifted in and out of the game. It was a bit scrappy at times, maybe due to the conditions, but Iona definitely deserved the W.

Love to hear an update from anyone at the game for more insight.

Tough day for Eddies at Tivoli, scores of 87-0 and 79-0. MCA 8A's won by a similar score, 7A's was closer at 24-14. Not sure on the other A results.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
The Lauries v Villa game was absolutely atrocious. The clearly bias ref had given away countless unfair penalties for lauries yet ignored all the Lauries offsides. It is clear in the livestream that the game winning try for Villa was sabotaged by two obstructions. Very disappointing to watch the bias refereeing on what was easily Villa'a game. On a brighther note, Josh Bellinger was an absolute menace for the Villa forward pack!
This post reeks of sour grapes - the Lauries boys were clearly the better side especially with a man down - I didn't see any menacing forwards for Villa their 15 and 11 the only real threat. A couple if the Villa forwards had great physiques but need to work harder if they are to have any impact.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Looking at that video grab again the villa player shoved the Lauries player first? The Lauries player was also to be honest a shade quicker than his Villa opponent - any visiting coach would attest to the fact that villa have a distinct home ground advantage when it comes to ref's- only ashgrove ref's - especially non qrra lower grades being slight worse. If you can't defeat 14 man side especially when you have such a talented backline you probably don't deserve the chocolates. Full credit for villa and lauries boys on a great game.

yes no maybe

Bob McCowan (2)
It was great to see Padua in the last few minutes of the game show St Pats the ultimate sign of submission and respect, they called uncontested scrums. With reserve props on the bench it was clear all honour and pride had been thrown out the window. Not a good look at all. A close eye will have to be kept on the Padua first XI come cricket season as they're sure candidates for the underarm bowl.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought VILLA V SLC was a great game in the context of difficult preseason..driving winds and yes that screaming villa supporter seated next to the microphone...well done to all the boys involved...the intensity was there as was the sportsmanship at full time..when the winning team comes from behind twice it has to be given a good game rating. Thanks for the livestream AIC

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I watched the SLC-Villa live stream. Villa will be kicking themselves for not nabbing a coupe of tries in the first half when they had ascendency. Some excellent defence by Lauries to hold them out, but with all that ball and momentum Villa really should have gone into halftime more than 3 points up. The length of the field try by Lauries to nudge ahead was a bit of a back breaker.

SLC best: 7, 8
Vila best: 3, 10

3 threw plenty of punches in that fight and should have copped a red like the Lauries winger did, but regardless he played well otherwise.

Daily ball handling, scrum, and lineout sessions for Lauries before the next game are needed!

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
I watched the SLC-Villa live stream. Villa will be kicking themselves for not nabbing a coupe of tries in the first half when they had ascendency. Some excellent defence by Lauries to hold them out, but with all that ball and momentum Villa really should have gone into halftime more than 3 points up. The length of the field try by Lauries to nudge ahead was a bit of a back breaker.

SLC best: 7, 8
Vila best: 3, 10

3 threw plenty of punches in that fight and should have copped a red like the Lauries winger did, but regardless he played well otherwise.

Daily ball handling, scrum, and lineout sessions for Lauries before the next game are needed!

The linesman who reported it was the Lauries winger get red-carded was the ref in the Seconds, who blew a 14-4 penalty count against Lauries and awarded a Villa try in the corner for a blatant knock on - did everything to get Villa across the line but came up short

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
It was great to see Padua in the last few minutes of the game show St Pats the ultimate sign of submission and respect, they called uncontested scrums. With reserve props on the bench it was clear all honour and pride had been thrown out the window. Not a good look at all. A close eye will have to be kept on the Padua first XI come cricket season as they're sure candidates for the underarm bowl.

This is embarrassing for the men in brown. They ought to bring in an AIC by-law that you have to play with 14 players if you call non-contested scrums. There's no place for tactical non-contested scrums in First XV rugby.

Barry T

Frank Row (1)

Add to that uncontested scrums only took place after prop was red carded literally 5mins left on the clock.

G

GPSschoolsbuytalent

What a game from St Pats! Everyone wrote them off at the start of the season, to come away with a draw against Padua (should've iced the game though) was an incredible effort. Padua possibly thought it was gonna be a walk in the park...

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
What a game from St Pats! Everyone wrote them off at the start of the season, to come away with a draw against Padua (should've iced the game though) was an incredible effort. Padua possibly thought it was gonna be a walk in the park.

All the talk was Eddies and Pat's as easy beats - well done Pat's. Better side on the day.

yes no maybe

Bob McCowan (2)
The bitterness from the Padua camp is rather amusing. What else is amusing is the fact that you fail to recall the Padua yellow card incident where a Padua player elbowed one of the Pats players in the face. Striking to the face is a straight up red card, but hey we’ll let that one slide. Regarding the scums, the Padua loose head was pushing early and angling in, penalties were there for the picking. You can’t blame a player for using their brains, surely.