• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Villa has every reason to be disappointed with decision from the ref especially considering the held up call. Evidently, a try with the photo taken by crowd members, the refs need to wake up to themselves before I give em a crack.

Over and out fellas!

can't believe ref didn't stop to look at random crowd member's photos before making the decision.

Ozwhip

Bob McCowan (2)
It was great to see Padua in the last few minutes of the game show St Pats the ultimate sign of submission and respect, they called uncontested scrums. With reserve props on the bench it was clear all honour and pride had been thrown out the window. Not a good look at all. A close eye will have to be kept on the Padua first XI come cricket season as they're sure candidates for the underarm bowl.
Screenshot_20200825-114558_Polaris Office.jpg

Hunter AIC

Frank Row (1)
After watching a replay of the game I would have to agree the Pats 11 was very very lucky not to get a red card. It was late, high, and clearly a shoulder charge with no attempt to wrap the arms around. It was quite sickening to watch actually, and lucky the Padua 15 didn't suffer a more serious injury. He seemed to recover quickly to score on the next play, but went off at half time, hope he is OK. Padua will definitely miss his if he is gone for the season. The ref must have been unsighted as he went to his touchy. I can understand refs being reluctant about handing out reds in school footy, but there was no grey area there.

Yes, the Padua 15 is now out for the season with a broken hand. Its a shame to see players receive season ending injuries due to such careless acts considering the extra amount of pre-season and time they have invested into this peculiar season.

B

Bob McCarthy

Afternoon all, first post here.
Just wanted to fathom the public opinion of the upcoming round between the great Iona first XV and Villanova.
It was apparent on Saturday that Villa had lost their 2019 form, clearly missing the presence of James Livingstone.
Do you think that after a tough loss, they can bounce back against a tenacious 2020 Iona side who are coming off a tight victory against the newly revived St Peters first XV.
Villa need this victory to keep their season alive, not only in hopes for a premiership opportunity but to live up to the reputation that the year 12 cohort built after dominating for numerous years in schoolboy rugby.
Cheers, Chael P.

Couldn't agree anymore there mate. Going back to back to back premiers in grade 7,8,9 this Villa team was looking promising this year. They looked good in their game last Saturday from what I saw from the live stream but couldn't capitalise on all opportunities.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Due to a lack of Iona or SPLC posters here's my take on that game.

Having watched the replay I was wrong about the scrum dominance of SPLC. They were about as even as it gets. Also, it wasn't a bit scrappy, it was just scrappy throughout and never rose to any great heights, with neither team managing to get beyond the 2nd or 3rd phase due to impatience and lack of cohesion. Far too many rushed passes when nothing was on, or lack of support at the breakdown. It was as if neither team had any idea where the ball was going next.

Both teams lacked cohesion in attack, but Iona looked the most dangerous when they did manage to string something together. The 11 had a few good incursions but lacks finishing pace, while the 10 did his best, scoring a good early try and often beating the first line of defence. By far the best player on the paddock was Charlie KSB, the bloke is a deadset cannonball and would be a walk up inclusion to an AIC team if one was selected. Not just a one trick pony either, often setting up his outside men with well timed passes, and pulling off a great cover tackle when Peters threatened to break out late in the game. He will cause many headaches for SLC and Villa over the coming weeks. The 9, Begbie, is your typical pest of a halfback, and I say that with utmost respect. Always sniping and great passing from the ground, have to love that. In the forwards Saxon Warwick at 3, and Pepe at 8 looked good.

Positives for Peters was their lineout, winning all cleanly. They have also worked on developing a rolling maul which produced dividends with a try and a promising attack in the 2nd half which unfortunately ended in the 2 suffering what looks to be a serious injury if the reaction of his halfback is any indication, and the fact he was stretchered off. Hope It's not as bad as it looked and he recovers soon.

They have some big boys, especially 1,5,6 and 8. Faifua is the best 6 in the comp, period. Keynan Tauakipulu did not have as big an impact as I thought he would, but got better as the game wore on. Radel was utterly wasted in the centres. He barely touched the ball until a couple of minutes left and then tore the Iona defence to shreds setting up a superb try for his winger, but by then it was all too late. Why wasn't he given the ball at every opportunity? Peters must use him a lot more, he is a weapon. Other than him the SPLC backs are very average.

I reckon the southside is still wide open. Iona and SLC are front runners after the first round, but I can see the pack closing in if they slip up.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Great summary T-Bone. I haven't watched that game on the livestream. Good to see some positivity in your post too. You have identified some names of standout players - anyone else seen standouts??​
For me (I don't really know names):​
SLC: 8 (Bryant), 4 (Ryan Jackson) - two massive units, would be walk up starts to an AIC team.​
VILL: 15, 3, 11, 10.​
PAD: 10, 8, 7​
SPC: 11, 9​
ASH: 15, 8 (Baker) - prob others they are strong right across ...​
Over ...​

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)
SPC vs MCA - MCA by 50
SEC vs PAD - PAD by 45
Iona vs Villa - Iona by 5
Peters vs SLC - SLC by 10

Scotty T

Frank Row (1)
Due to a lack of Iona or SPLC posters here's my take on that game.

Having watched the replay I was wrong about the scrum dominance of SPLC. They were about as even as it gets. Also, it wasn't a bit scrappy, it was just scrappy throughout and never rose to any great heights, with neither team managing to get beyond the 2nd or 3rd phase due to impatience and lack of cohesion. Far too many rushed passes when nothing was on, or lack of support at the breakdown. It was as if neither team had any idea where the ball was going next.

Both teams lacked cohesion in attack, but Iona looked the most dangerous when they did manage to string something together. The 11 had a few good incursions but lacks finishing pace, while the 10 did his best, scoring a good early try and often beating the first line of defence. By far the best player on the paddock was Charlie KSB, the bloke is a deadset cannonball and would be a walk up inclusion to an AIC team if one was selected. Not just a one trick pony either, often setting up his outside men with well timed passes, and pulling off a great cover tackle when Peters threatened to break out late in the game. He will cause many headaches for SLC and Villa over the coming weeks. The 9, Begbie, is your typical pest of a halfback, and I say that with utmost respect. Always sniping and great passing from the ground, have to love that. In the forwards Saxon Warwick at 3, and Pepe at 8 looked good.

Positives for Peters was their lineout, winning all cleanly. They have also worked on developing a rolling maul which produced dividends with a try and a promising attack in the 2nd half which unfortunately ended in the 2 suffering what looks to be a serious injury if the reaction of his halfback is any indication, and the fact he was stretchered off. Hope It's not as bad as it looked and he recovers soon.

They have some big boys, especially 1,5,6 and 8. Faifua is the best 6 in the comp, period. Keynan Tauakipulu did not have as big an impact as I thought he would, but got better as the game wore on. Radel was utterly wasted in the centres. He barely touched the ball until a couple of minutes left and then tore the Iona defence to shreds setting up a superb try for his winger, but by then it was all too late. Why wasn't he given the ball at every opportunity? Peters must use him a lot more, he is a weapon. Other than him the SPLC backs are very average.

I reckon the southside is still wide open. Iona and SLC are front runners after the first round, but I can see the pack closing in if they slip up.

Ive been following along with St Peters this season seeing them as the dark horse though it might be interesting to follow their games a bit more closely. I think they are much more loaded with talent than they seem to be acknowledged for.

I've been told the number 2 of St Peters has broken one of the lower leg bones in two and shattered his ankle, must have been a gory sight based off some players reactions.

Prior to the incident I could have seen the game going either way, possible even more towards Peters with the way they were dominating the scrums. Though peters didn't seem to be able to get themselves back together after the incident, performing worse in the scrums and in general their gameplay wasn't so neat.

Hopefully Peters can pick themselves back up for the rest of the season, could make for some interesting games.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's terrible news about the Peters 2, no wonder about the reactions then. Devastating. Wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the input My Arsenal, Like your stand outs. Would add SPC 15, Padua 12, SPLC 8, Villa 1, Iona 9.

I agree with John Bryant would have to be in there somewhere, just maybe not at 8 as there is stiff competition with Nick Baker (MCA), Poasi Manu (Padua) and Keynan Tauakipulu (SPLC). He forced his way into the champion QLD Red U16 team last year as a lock so that's a possibility. Have to disagree with the SLC 4, Ryan Jackson. If my sources are correct it's his first year in the 15 man game so he has done well to crack the SLC 1sts this year and will only get better, so give him time as he is still learning the game. Betters options are Webster (5 SPLC), Hetaraka (Iona 5) and Ethan Lucey from MCA. Lachie Laffer (MCA) still has to return too. The 5 from SPC (Ward) is a big lump of a lad, but seemed to run out of gas. So yeah, plenty of options in the locks. And that's without Padua's Max Johnson (injured).

I've named 2 (Charlie KSB at 12 and Faifu at 6) who I think would be in a starting AIC line up, and you'd have to be a brave man to leave out Floyd Aubrey at 15, but will leave it at that until more games are played.

Predictions this week;

MCA by 25 over Pats
Padua by 50 over SEC
Iona by 7 over Villa
SPLC by 3 over SLC

Good luck boys.