• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched Villa v Peters livestream. Peters got home 17-13 I think. Villa had their chances again but could not capitalise, especially in the 1st half.

Marist over Padua 44-0

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah there are some big guys in that Iona team. Props, #8, and inside centre are massive lads. It’s the first I’d seen of Iona but based on their result against Villa, who really pushed SLC (perhaps even deserved to win?) I thought they’d give SLC a real shake.

Best for Lauries was #7. Breakdown menace.

So does this mean it’s SLC vs Ash in the final? (I’m assuming Ash won today and topped their pool). SLC seem to be growing into the season nicely after a very shaky start, but bloody Ashgrove are always good and it sounds like they’re great again this season. It’ll take a very big upset I think.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Ash played average but had too much punch in the forwards and much faster backs. I left with 20 to go and it was abt 34-0 or so ( with only 2/5 conversions). St Pats and Padua even (as per the draw), though St Pats more willing.
After watching all trials MCAs year. Gee MCA 15 is a star the best player in the comp.
So in 2020 its the guard squaring off again. Gold v Black.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah it sounds like MCA have been in great form (I haven’t seen any of their matches as yet). And they’ll be playing at home too. Big, big, big ask for SLC. As an ex-Lauries boy I’d love for them to get up but I think it’s MCAs year too.

As for the MCA #15, I mentioned earlier in the thread I saw him play in last years SLC-MCA clash and he was incredible. Can only have gotten better since then!

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
The Finals games are hosted by different schools. This was the list posted in June but happy to be corrected. I believe the First XV Final will a 4pm kick off.

Lauries (Yr 5),
Pats (Yr 6)
Padua (Yr 7)
Iona (Yr 8)
Villa (Yr 9)
Peters (Yr 10)
Marist (Opens)

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
A big advantage for the MCA boys having a home game for the Grand Final. Anyone know the match-ups yet, particularly in the Opens - I am aware of MCA v SLC in both First XV and Second XV as both schools undefeated in their pools.

I think it will be a clean sweep for the Southside schools, except the First place match that MCA go into as clear favourites.

That said, coming off a convincing win against a big and physical Iona side, SLC are capable of an upset win, if they can shut down Floyd Aubrey. (easier said than done).

James Rooke

Frank Row (1)
A big advantage for the MCA boys having a home game for the Grand Final. Anyone know the match-ups yet, particularly in the Opens - I am aware of MCA v SLC in both First XV and Second XV as both schools undefeated in their pools.

I think it will be a clean sweep for the Southside schools, except the First place match that MCA go into as clear favourites.

That said, coming off a convincing win against a big and physical Iona side, SLC are capable of an upset win, if they can shut down Floyd Aubrey. (easier said than done).

Shutting Floyd down is a big key for SLC this GF but it will be a tough one. Although the MCA team are in super form without skipper Nick Baker in the side it will be very hard to shut down SLC's John Bryant. Bryant has been one of the best players this year in AIC and can be a real menace all across the field. MCA will be clearly the better team walking into the contest but this Lauries outfit could cause some trouble.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
John Bryant is a great player and leader indeed. On paper, games to date and trial form though MCA have the depth across the park. They didnt play that well against Padua and still managed to pile on the points. Only got 2/7 kicks or there abouts as well and the ball didnt really get out wide to Dreghorn like in earlier games. Marist this year have been slower starters but after the initial grind they can pile on the points in a 10 min window and take the game away. A team cant worry abt what Floyd can do, if SLC are to match Marist they need to control the ball and concentrate on their own game. Some memories from the earlier trial may still be floating about in some SLC players heads. If the case those will need to be forgotten come Saturday.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
To put this match into context, Ashgrove and Lauries have played 98 times in competition matches since 1941. 1941-1951 in Rugby League and 1953 onwards in Rugby (no matches in 1952). 83 matches to date in Rugby, 37% of matches by 7 or less including 3 draws. The average score is 18-9 to Ashgrove. This is the longest standing fixture in TAS/ AIC rugby. Ash 18 Wallabies, Lauries 10; Ash 2 international referees, Lauries 3; Ash 3 Wallabies captains, Lauries 2. Both have 3 Kangaroos representatives as well.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
MCA V Iona.

Others are;

1sts - MCA v SLC
2nds - MCA v SLC
10A's - MCA v Iona
9A's - MCA v Iona
8A's - MCA v Iona
7A's - Padua v ??

Pretty clear pattern there re MCA's dominance - boarding school and largest cohort .....plus a lot of hard work.

Would have been an interesting discussion re location of the Opens Grand Final, given MCA were a shoe-in, a neutral venue may have been appropriate?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Pretty clear pattern there re MCA's dominance - boarding school and largest cohort ...plus a lot of hard work.

Would have been an interesting discussion re location of the Opens Grand Final, given MCA were a shoe-in, a neutral venue may have been appropriate?

I could be wrong, but my impression is that SLC has the largest senior cohort, with Iona's probably larger than MCAs?

The fact that SLC is not involved in a single "A" final other than the First XV must be a bit of a concern for them.

G-Banga

Frank Row (1)
To put this match into context, Ashgrove and Lauries have played 98 times in competition matches since 1941. 1941-1951 in Rugby League and 1953 onwards in Rugby (no matches in 1952). 83 matches to date in Rugby, 37% of matches by 7 or less including 3 draws. The average score is 18-9 to Ashgrove. This is the longest standing fixture in TAS/ AIC rugby. Ash 18 Wallabies, Lauries 10; Ash 2 international referees, Lauries 3; Ash 3 Wallabies captains, Lauries 2. Both have 3 Kangaroos representatives as well.

G-Banga's the name, spreadsheets and stats are the game…

Re the SLC Vs. MCA match up, here are some further statistics, specifically for the current Year 12 (2020) cohort going all the way back to 2015 (grade 7).

I am missing some data for the 2015-2016 B's teams and I have only a sketchy recollection of the trial match results from earlier this year. there is also 3x B's games data missing from 2018.

SLC Vs. MCA Head to Head (2015 – 2020) Year 12 Cohort
2015 - 7A’s - 32(MCA) 29(SLC)
2016 - 8A’s - 50(MCA) 5(SLC)
2017 - 9A’s - 14(MCA) 21(SLC)
2017 - 9B’s - 31(MCA) 5(SLC)
2018 - 10A’s - 17(MCA) 7(SLC)
2018 - 10B’s - 12(MCA) 29(SLC)
2019 - 2ndXV - 7(MCA) 8(SLC)
2019 - 1stXV - 22(MCA) 14(SLC)
2020 - 2ndXV - ??
2020 - 2ndXV - 35*(MCA) 5*(SLC)
*Uncertain of score
TOTAL POINTS - 220(MCA) 123(SLC)
TOTAL WINS - 7(MCA) 3(SLC)
‘A GRADE” WINS - 4(MCA) 1(SLC)

For results spanning all games across the cohorts involvement in AIC Rugby since 2015, the matchup is as follows:

Total AIC wins since 2015 (Grade 7’s*) including Game 3 2020
MCA - 51 wins** / 4 loss / 0 draws
SLC - 40 wins / 14 loss / 2 draws
* Including 1st & 2nd XV in 2019. Excluding B’s in 7’s & 8’s
** MCA had a game called off due to weather in 2016 or 2017.

Combined for/ against since 2015 (7’s*) to Game 3 2020
MCA 2467 for / 497 against. MCA have scored 5 points for every point against
SLC 1567 for / 749 against. SLC have scored 2 points for every point against

Good luck to all teams, hopefully Eddies (& possibly St Pats) don't have any issues with the Rona this weekend.

Edit - Formatting.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
I could be wrong, but my impression is that SLC has the largest senior cohort, with Iona's probably larger than MCAs?

The fact that SLC is not involved in a single "A" final other than the First XV must be a bit of a concern for them.

Not sure it is an issue for Lauries just yet. You have remember they are trying to recover from a decade of poor engagement (even finishing 5th in the aggregate one year) which was unheard of). That trend is slowly being addressed but takes time.
The challenge for Lauries is cultural. MCA has exceptional coaches, especially at the junior level and Iona too has a very good program with a lot of boys taking advantage of the C2K Academy.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
G-Banga's the name, spreadsheets and stats are the game…

Re the SLC Vs. MCA match up, here are some further statistics, specifically for the current Year 12 (2020) cohort going all the way back to 2015 (grade 7).

I am missing some data for the 2015-2016 B's teams and I have only a sketchy recollection of the trial match results from earlier this year. there is also 3x B's games data missing from 2018.

SLC Vs. MCA Head to Head (2015 – 2020) Year 12 Cohort
2015 - 7A’s - 32(MCA) 29(SLC)
2016 - 8A’s - 50(MCA) 5(SLC)
2017 - 9A’s - 14(MCA) 21(SLC)
2017 - 9B’s - 31(MCA) 5(SLC)
2018 - 10A’s - 17(MCA) 7(SLC)
2018 - 10B’s - 12(MCA) 29(SLC)
2019 - 2ndXV - 7(MCA) 8(SLC)
2019 - 1stXV - 22(MCA) 14(SLC)
2020 - 2ndXV - ??
2020 - 2ndXV - 35*(MCA) 5*(SLC)
*Uncertain of score
TOTAL POINTS - 220(MCA) 123(SLC)
TOTAL WINS - 7(MCA) 3(SLC)
‘A GRADE” WINS - 4(MCA) 1(SLC)

For results spanning all games across the cohorts involvement in AIC Rugby since 2015, the matchup is as follows:

Total AIC wins since 2015 (Grade 7’s*) including Game 3 2020
MCA - 51 wins** / 4 loss / 0 draws
SLC - 40 wins / 14 loss / 2 draws
** MCA had a game called off due to weather in 2016 or 2017.

Combined for/ against since 2015 (7’s*) to Game 3 2020
MCA 2467 for / 497 against. MCA have scored 5 points for every point against
SLC 1567 for / 749 against. SLC have scored 2 points for every point against

Good luck to all teams, hopefully Eddies (& possibly St Pats) don't have any issues with the Rona this weekend.

Edit - Formatting.

That is some impressive stats :)

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)

I think SLC is probably pretty competitive in most age groups (but i don't know to be honest and will stand corrected) - Iona are always strong so no surprise to see them figuring prominently. SLC/IONA/MCA all big cohorts.

Still think some thought might have been given to playing the Opens at a venue that was neutral. It is what it is but I suspect that the MCA powers-that-be were never going to consider crossing over to the dark-side. Other Heads of Sport obviously didn't mind......