• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Iona will be very hard to beat for the next few years. MCAs 11 cohort are ok but 9 and 10 not as strong. Year 8 cohort very strong with alot of these boys prob making 1XV in year 11 (and a couple like Tom Howard) in yr10.
In the late 1980s they had Grand Finals and they were always held at MCA due to the better facilities / grandstand. If I recall 1988 GF was SLC v Iona, held there.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
2019 1st XV MCA 17-0 SLC
2019 2nd XV MCA 22-14 SLC

Year 11 MCA will be fine. The 2,7,8,12,11 all returning plus replacement centre and second row. They will be up there.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Still think some thought might have been given to playing the Opens at a venue that was neutral. It is what it is but I suspect that the MCA powers-that-be were never going to consider crossing over to the dark-side. Other Heads of Sport obviously didn't mind..[/quote]

At the time no games had been played and MCA were not a shoo-in. Call it bias but I'd think you'd have the Opens finals at the best venue regardless. Either way, SLC v MCA was at Runcorn last year and was being touted as a GF (bit too early as it turned out) so probably fair the game is at McMahon Oval this year.

Anyway, with limited crowds the home ground factor is diminished.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Word is that thanks to the virus out at the switch and impacting Eddies the chief medical officer is going to make a call on AIC sport going ahead this weekend. May be a non event.

ricky wong 21

Frank Row (1)
I think Villanova will have genuine First XV in a few years with the current 9A's being a very competitive team only losing to a much bigger Iona team by 1 point a few weeks ago. As well as keeping Lauries scoreless and rolling St Peters. Unfortunately, can't say the same for the current 10A's who have shown some improvement but lack size and team cohesion. Hopefully Villa's rugby program will be able to maintain some sort of competitiveness for the sake of AIC rugby now that the current year 12 cohort is graduating. So it's not just Marist, Lauries and Iona then everyone else playing for pride! The 2011 AIC competition was one of the closest ever, would be great to see AIC at that competitiveness again!

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Word is that thanks to the virus out at the switch and impacting Eddies the chief medical officer is going to make a call on AIC sport going ahead this weekend. May be a non event.
Would be a shame -Padua made the trek out to the switch amidst the wacol cluster - a little concerning that fixture wasn't cancelled actually.

thegoldandgreen

Frank Row (1)
Iona will be very hard to beat for the next few years. MCAs 11 cohort are ok but 9 and 10 not as strong. Year 8 cohort very strong with alot of these boys prob making 1XV in year 11 (and a couple like Tom Howard) in yr10.
In the late 1980s they had Grand Finals and they were always held at MCA due to the better facilities / grandstand. If I recall 1988 GF was SLC v Iona, held there.

dont know what you mean by the 10s being weaker, have been close if not equal to iona who have won the age group 5 times now just a matter of execution. iona in this age have alot of size and itll be close when it comes to first 2 years times. peters also seem to be a bit of a wild card in this age aswell along with padua and eddies who are also strong competitors. lots of depth to in this age group at mca, watched a few games this year of A's and it seems the mca backline very slick. forwards have size however are just being run like league players with no pick and drives and not much ruck presence. team maybe missing a few key forwards from injury as i havent seem them this year?

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Yet to be confirmed but if George St shuts down AIC this weekend (Due to the Eddies situation) that it will go to for and against. May have been part of the admin rules done at the re-start of covid sports season incase no GF...stay tuned....and fingers crossed not the case.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yet to be confirmed but if George St shuts down AIC this weekend (Due to the Eddies situation) that it will go to for and against. May have been part of the admin rules done at the re-start of covid sports season incase no GF.stay tuned..and fingers crossed not the case.

Oh FFS. MCA will NOT want to win like that. Just let the boys play.

I'm checking on how to emigrate to Sweden. THE only sensible country in the world it is starting to seem.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
Yet to be confirmed but if George St shuts down AIC this weekend (Due to the Eddies situation) that it will go to for and against. May have been part of the admin rules done at the re-start of covid sports season incase no GF.stay tuned..and fingers crossed not the case.

I would be very surprised if it were to be based on F/A especially when the AFL for example was not decided that way. The precedent has been set in other sports to share the premiership. But let's hope everyone gets to play, especially those in their final year.

AnthemX1

Stan Wickham (3)
That didn't appear to work. Take 2. This is on the AIC web site,

STATEMENT FROM THE AIC MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Posted September 10, 2020 in News.
The AIC Management Committee have released a statement today, having decided to cancel the remainder of all AIC sport for the remainder of this term. This includes the Track and Field pre-season meet tonight, Chess finals on Friday night at SLC, Rugby and Football finals on Saturday and the Rugby League competitions that were set for Sep 18 (Primary) and Sep 21 & 22 (Secondary).
The Management Committee understands that our community, in particular our senior students will be disappointed but the association has always put the welfare of students and staff at the forefront and believe today’s decision is the most the responsible action.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those in our community directly affected by COVID-19.
AIC Statement September 10 2020

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
I would be very surprised if it were to be based on F/A especially when the AFL for example was not decided that way. The precedent has been set in other sports to share the premiership. But let's hope everyone gets to play, especially those in their final year.

The tennis also didnt rely on a countback with a joint 1st place after the GF was rained out...resulting in SLC first tennis premiership in 25 odd years ...Its off and a real shame...I think its more to do with the solidarity than the actual threat...Eddies unable to train, Pats probably also...and the rest is history....

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
If both SLC and MCA were undefeated in their respective pools would a joint premiership be in order? Usually goes on points (wins) - will stand corrected though.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
They frame it as a responsible decision but it is a cop out. Soft. Like when it rains.

This will have more negative impacts than any protectionist measure they have rationalised in their heads.

I feel for all involved. But this is risk management gone mad.

Jonnolance

Frank Row (1)
What confuses me is how every other competition can go ahead but because one student at a school has it they completely call off the comp and the league comp in 2 weeks.