• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2021

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The issue is that the season don't line up. AIC has rugby in term 2 and GPS in term 3. There was a combined training between SLC and GT last year. Can't imagine that we'll see these games happen again in the future.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree , you are only going to get AIC teams at the end of their season playing against a trial squad from a GPS school.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
No chance of trials really as AIC end of season runs straight into AIC rugby league.. I wonder if any one school will ever win all 4 football codes in one year....SLC could do it this year

James Rooke

Frank Row (1)
Excited for this year as COVID-19 had obviously cut the season short last year. A shared premiership to Marist and Lauries would have felt a bit odd for them in the circumstances so this year will meant alot more to those schools if they can win it.

On another note, do any AIC schools play GPS schools in trials these days? I remember in the 2000s it wasn't uncommon to see Marist play Nudgee and Lauries play Terrace for example in trial matches. These days the AIC is more competitive so I would love to see other schools give some GPS schools a crack in trial matches. It seems that since the CIC was dissolved in 2014 there has been very little connection between the two competitions. I guess the GPS schools would not be as interested as AIC but it would be interesting to see. Could become an annual game for schools to look forward to with a cup involved, thoughts?

Seeing a cup coopetition between schools would be great. something in the term 2/3 holidays in a Ballymore cup style comp would provide more rugby for all the boys. More trial games for the GPS schools and a end of season comp for the AIC boys would fit a great mold. Provides scouts from pro teams to have a look at players in a different game sense. this would resemble to old AICvsGPS games, sure it would be a great watch.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
A valid point about the seasons not matching up, makes sense now however it is a shame. Maybe they could swap the league and union seasons around. I don't think AIC schools would say no to changing it. If anything the hype of First XV union season which is already the most hyped firsts premiership in the AIC calendar year would be bigger after the league season. Food for thought anyway.

I really do like how AIC has introduced rugby league and AFL as full time sports as well. Can only improve the overall attraction to AIC and bring in more talented students who may decide to play rugby union when they aren't playing their favourite type of football.

What games are people looking forward to the most this season? I'm looking forward to seeing the big crowds again at the local derbies and the premiership deciding games. It's good to see the crowds getting bigger and bigger each year with last year being the exception of course.

James Rooke

Frank Row (1)
A valid point about the seasons not matching up, makes sense now however it is a shame. Maybe they could swap the league and union seasons around. I don't think AIC schools would say no to changing it. If anything the hype of First XV union season which is already the most hyped firsts premiership in the AIC calendar year would be bigger after the league season. Food for thought anyway.

I really do like how AIC has introduced rugby league and AFL as full time sports as well. Can only improve the overall attraction to AIC and bring in more talented students who may decide to play rugby union when they aren't playing their favourite type of football.

What games are people looking forward to the most this season? I'm looking forward to seeing the big crowds again at the local derbies and the premiership deciding games. It's good to see the crowds getting bigger and bigger each year with last year being the exception of course.

Having the season to match up would be a dream for rugby lovers. The only problem is however is the reason they are not matched up is because of lack of referees. with close to 6 teams per strong GPS school from opens to year 5, there would be lack of referees for all the games.

Janes Tamou

Frank Row (1)
Any news on potential line-ups for Padua, seeing/hearing a lot of hype around them however not to sure where this is coming from considering they have always been quite poor in this year level coming through from what I have heard. Same goes for teams like Marist as they have seemingly been an easy beat in the younger years for this year level however things may have changed or they may just have a very strong grade 11 cohort.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thought that a bit harsh too TP. 2 years ago MCA were a missed last minute penalty goal against SLC away from an undefeated premiership in the 10A's. Didn't have a great year in year 9, but were the only team to beat Iona before being decimated by injuries. Were hardly easy beats though.

Expect Marist 1sts to have about 10 x year 12 starters and 5 from year 11 at full strength. About the same as last year. Some boys still out due to other sporting commitments or injury, but will all be back by round 1. Hopefully.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
That is the first time I have ever heard of a Marist team being easy beats..ever. .
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Marist have never finished below 4th in AIC First XV Rugby? Hardly easily beats and easily the benchmark in the comp. The last decade was not as dominant for them but they were always challenging when they didn't win the premiership.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Having the season to match up would be a dream for rugby lovers. The only problem is however is the reason they are not matched up is because of lack of referees. with close to 6 teams per strong GPS school from opens to year 5, there would be lack of referees for all the games.

lets be honest ,the top 4 GPS Schools would put a 60-80 points on the top AIC schools,not having a go,just there is alot more emphasis on rugby at the big GPS Schools.

Bluebag

Banned
lets be honest ,the top 4 GPS Schools would put a 60-80 points on the top AIC schools,not having a go,just there is alot more emphasis on rugby at the big GPS Schools.

true dat, maybe not that much but wouldn't be close. Maybe level up the playing field and all boys on rugby scholarships at GPS schools aren't permitted to play. Make it interesting don't you think?

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
MCA beat Padua 26-5 in a trial match today. Pretty scrappy affair from both teams.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Very scrappy game. MCA dominant but lacking the size and skill of the last few years. Next couple of years will be pretty even with a strong Iona and SLC.
The current year 9 MCA cohort is strong and looks the strongest prospect of locking in a rugby premiership.
Any other trial form?
In respect to GPS form v AIC Schools, a strong AIC XV premiership team may beat 2 of the GPS teams in any year. They are too strong in all positions. In the lower grades ie 5 - 10 much more even.
AIC sport needs to align with the GPS calendar. Larger AIC schools would then have the ability to play them in the lower grades and lower ranked teams. Its pathetic that some AIC schools can only field an A and or B team in certain sports or cant put a team in the A div comp. Should change the calendar and each school be required to field at least an A B and C team in each major sport.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
When I saw the MCA team list for today I half expected Padua to win.

I counted 5 guys who played First XV for MCA last year not playing today, and they would probably be the first 5 picked.

Padua might have been in the same boat, either way I wouldn’t use today’s game as much of a guide for the upcoming season.

Bledisloe

Herbert Moran (7)
Has there ever been any talk of Marist joining the GPS system and maybe bringing Ambrose Tracy into AIC?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Has there ever been any talk of Marist joining the GPS system and maybe bringing Ambrose Tracy into AIC?

Yes, and yes, but not in a related manner.

But please, I beg you, don't go down the 1980's rabbit hole involving MCA's possible admission to GPS in the 1980's, nothing good will come of it.....;)

Perhaps more importantly, since the last of two votes back in the 80's there's never been any further interest from either side and that's the way I would expect things to stay.

In my view, if the AIC membership was to change it would be far more likely that Ambrose Treacy would replace St Peter's. Pretty sure there's no love for SPLC among the other AIC sport departments, and certainly not at MCA.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes, and yes, but not in a related manner.

But please, I beg you, don't go down the 1980's rabbit hole involving MCA's possible admission to GPS in the 1980's, nothing good will come of it...;)

Perhaps more importantly, since the last of two votes back in the 80's there's never been any further interest from either side and that's the way I would expect things to stay.

In my view, if the AIC membership was to change it would be far more likely that Ambrose Treacy would replace St Peter's. Pretty sure there's no love for SPLC among the other AIC sport departments, and certainly not at MCA.
Why Ambrose Treacy College? They have only been around for 5 or 6 years? I think some of the more established schools with history would also have a good case for joining the AIC. Why not Downlands College or even a stronger school from TAS like John Paul College or old friends St Columban's College Caboolture or St Paul's School, Bald Hills?

Is the no love for SPLC because of their inability to field teams in the lower divisions for sports? I think AIC should expand to 9 schools to align with GPS.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Let’s not forget that St Peter’s dominates tennis and swimming. Undoubtedly the strongest swimming program in the country. They are also quickly becoming a solid athletics school and hold their own in basketball and volleyball. Granted it’s disappointing they can’t field lower grade teams in rugby and have very little depth. I’m sure they can even acknowledge that. However, there is a lot more to consider than just rugby. FYI I have no affiliation with St Peter’s whatsoever.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The other thing to take into account with SPLC is they are coed so half their cohorts can't participate in the AIC sport.