• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah I know Murray. Good thinking. I think the COVID stuff last year set back a lot of our set piece work while depth will take a few years to build. You’re right though - someone like Murray would be good to bring in to get some prop depth happening.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
There is probably a good case for ATC to join the AIC compared to GPS. GPS would not even allow Marist to join so why would ATC have a better chance? I personally would like to see AIC have 9 schools to align with GPS, move rugby to term 3 and have the schools on their bye round verse each other from both competitons. I'm probably dreaming but wouldn't that be awesome to see.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
..ahh no.you don't join..you get invited..and its not even on the horizon..GPS would prefer to only have 8 in the comp...no byes and with the terms being so short these days there is hardly time for the comp..let alone trials and byes

No, Asghrove applied 20 years ago. Unsuccessfully. Word is that Nudgee didn't want another Catholic boarding school in the mix.

Nigel Nesbit

Frank Row (1)
Good Afternoon AIC Rugby Lovers,

As usual I'm here to keep the forum updated on the reffing appointments and allows everyone to keep track of referee's names and faces out on the ground on Saturday's. Very excited to announce some fresh faces onto the scene to be officiating Round 2 of the AIC First XV fixtures.

Marist College Ashgrove vs St Edmunds: Roderick O'Callaghan
St Patricks vs Iona College: Ian Foster
Villanova College vs St Peters: Steve Leszczynski
Padua College: St Laurences: Nicholas Joseph
I wish everyone the best for the round 2 fixtures and hope your teams get up!!
Kindest of Regards,
Nig :)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
similar to why ATC weren't admitted into AIC a couple of years ago

I didn't know they applied, but then I haven't really paid much attention for many years. I would have thought ATC would be an asset to AIC as I imagine they have a similar philosophy to most of the other 8 schools. Aside from certain schools' self interest, the only other reasonable objection I could think of would be to the AIC being seen as a stepping stone to GPS.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
I didn't know they applied, but then I haven't really paid much attention for many years. I would have thought ATC would be an asset to AIC as I imagine they have a similar philosophy to most of the other 8 schools. Aside from certain schools' self interest, the only other reasonable objection I could think of would be to the AIC being seen as a stepping stone to GPS.
GPS is a closed shop. I am led to believe Downland is most likely to be admitted to the AIC and were very close to doing do a few years back.

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)
Good afternoon Gentlemen,
With round 2 coming up tomorrow I would like to address some changes in the 1st XV for Villanova.
With one of the star players Gus Godwin missing this weekends clash due to the shoulder injury he suffered in last weeks game, and Will Murphy out with a torn hamstring, some changes have been made in the Villa back line. Lachlan Reardon, the villanova flanker has been moved into the centres and he has really impressed me this season with his defense and attack. What concerns me is Hayden Smith has been moved up to play on the wing and could be opposing the big 11 from Peters (let me know what his name is). While I haven't been able to determine his skill level, I have witnessed his size and strength compared to the Villanova winger which will prove very dangerous. Smith will have to show a lot of heart as I can already envision 11 steamrolling him down the wing. If this is the case, I think Thomas Treyvon could step in to play Wing or even Lachlan Friedman (both extremely talented prospects).

I am intrigued to see how this clash will play out and definitely concerned for the welfare of Hayden Smith on that wing. Im excited to see how Peters hold up this wekeend.

Yours Truly,
Pete Dick.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Will be intrigued to see the make up of MCA's backline today.

Thought the coaches missed a trick last week persisting with the winger from 2019/20 at 15. He is a fantastic and dangerous player but was heavily marked by Lauries and they were smart enough to know how to stop him. And like the view of many other supporters I have spoken to, perhaps coming back from a prolonged injury break, he would have been better to return on the wing but given a roaming mission ?

Particularly, when the guy on the left wing (who was outstanding at 15 & 10 in the trials with his creativity) caught a cold with the lack of ball that came his way.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)

Thought the coaches missed a trick last week persisting with the winger from 2019/20 at 15. He is a fantastic and dangerous player but was heavily marked by Lauries and they were smart enough to know how to stop him. And like the view of many other supporters I have spoken to, perhaps coming back from a prolonged injury break, he would have been better to return on the wing but given a roaming mission ?

Particularly, when the guy on the left wing (who was outstanding at 15 & 10 in the trials with his creativity) caught a cold with the lack of ball that came his way.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)

Agreed. Combinations that had been worked on in the trials fell apart. He was well contained by Lauries. What was more confusing is why the coaches didn't admit their error and swap them at half time when it was clear it was not working.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Any other scores? Entertaining game at Banyo Laurie's prevailing over a much bigger Padua forward pack. Laurie's defence was excellent - Padua tried hard but beaten at the breakdown and lacking a clear game plan.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
St Peters 18 - Villanova 21
St Patrick’s 19 - Iona 17
Padua 5 - St Laurence’s 16
Ashgrove 34 - St Edmunds 5

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS is a closed shop. I am led to believe Downland is most likely to be admitted to the AIC and were very close to doing do a few years back.

lets be honest,Every AIC first XV this year would struggle to compete with the 15A s in the GPS Comp,there is not much size difference and the GPS teams are a lot more structured and better coached,taking nothing away from the quality of the AIC comp this year,but GPS is on a different level.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
lets be honest,Every AIC first XV this year would struggle to compete with the 15A s in the GPS Comp,there is not much size difference and the GPS teams are a lot more structured and better coached,taking nothing away from the quality of the AIC comp this year,but GPS is on a different level.

This cohort (17 years) has always been a bit light on at both AIC and GPS - not sure if it is a weaker age group overall or whether RL has most of the depth - I expect in both comps but particularly in GPS that 18 and 16 year olds will have a big influence this year and the GPS schools with fewer 18 years olds (think NOT NC and BBC) will not be as strong as the past few years - pretty much what we are seeing in AIC this year.