• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2021

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Half time in SLC vs Villa. 6-0 to SLC. My brief take - Lauries looking more threatening but lacking the polish to put the tries away. Villa grafting really hard and tough, looking a bit more focused. If Lauries settle a bit at halftime they should take this, but Villa ruck pressure is rattling them a bit.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Full time. 33-7 to SLC. The floodgates only opened in the later part of the second half - at one stage it was 9-7. But the Villa try seemed to put a rocket up SLC. The Lauries linebreaks and passes finally started to stick and they were pretty dominant from that point on. SLC 3, 8, 12, and 13 shone. Villa 4 or 5 (the captain) was good, and was impressed by Villa 10 too. Huge boot on him.

As a Lauries fan, yahoo! We roll on. Well played Villa, really commendable effort.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Enjoyable and tight game, but did have the feeling that Villa would run out of steam and Laurie’s would run out the score a little bit. Very impressed by both sides kicking in play both in positioning the ball and length, could teach a few of the reds backs a lesson or two!. Laurie’s backs very good and once they found their rhythm ran in some easy tries against a tired defence. Fantastic effort by the Villa forwards at the breakdown winning a fair few penalties. Massive improvement from Ashgrove where they were dominated at the breakdown.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Honestly amazed at the Villa parents and supporters on the far sideline chirping away at the ref and lauries team. Seems they might need to coach next year with their calls of hands when the backline caught a pass.

So many parents living through their kids!

Funniest call was "you have them scared villa" when there was 6 or 7 villa kids down from dominant tackles throughout the game.

SLC too big and skilfull.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Honestly amazed at the Villa parents and supporters on the far sideline chirping away at the ref and lauries team. Seems they might need to coach next year with their calls of hands when the backline caught a pass.

Funniest call was "you have them scared villa" when there was 6 or 7 villa kids down from dominant tackles throughout the game.

Expect worse at Curlew Park haha.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

the irony of this comment on this message board...

chris1950

Bob McCowan (2)
Good Morning Gents,

Here's my take on last nights clash.

Firstly, wow the stream was high quality and the recording team did a great job. Lauries were very well structured and impressive as always but it was a valiant effort from the villanova boys. I was on the edge of my rocking chair at the end of that first half. Moment of the match was definitely the villanova try, wow it was great to see all the young men celebrate after. Thought for a second the comeback was on at 9-7. Lauries regathered nicely and put the nail in the coffin in those last 15 minutes.

Lauries 11 (especially the goal kicking), 12 and 8 were impressive. The Villanova 3 was an absolute menace as always and threw the lauries 4 around like a couple weights in the gym eh. Villa 10, 12 and 15 were also impressive. Not sure about anyone else but I'm definitely a fan of these nightime games under the lights, provides a great excuse to empty the beer fridge on a weekday - wife wasn't happy (Am I right fellas eh?).

Nonetheless, one of those great games of rugby and look forward to the Padua v Eddies game this afternoon

Chris.

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
Morning Gentlemen,

Last night was a expectational game of rugby union. Fast paced game with plenty of big hits from both sides. SLC were heavy favorites going into the game but, after Villa's strong win over the previously undefeated Pats on the weekend. I was confident that Villa could cause the upset.

Villa's defense was valiant, keeping SLC out with only 13 men on the field. 0-6 at half it was anyone's game for the taking. SLC goal kicker was quality extending there lead to 0-9. But the Vila men fought back. A outstanding run from Villa's vice captain Gus Godwin, slicing through the SLC defense and placing the try on a platter for the dominate Bukowski. Brought the game to 9-7, while I was unable to attend the game, from the live stream the atmosphere seemed to be peaking around this moment.

SLC seemed go to another level after conceding, game finished 33-7 but villa showed plenty of heart. I am extremely impressed by there efforts. Villa's 4,15 and 12 and SLC 8, 12 and 9 were all impressive.

Regards,
Stavens

Will Rogers

Bob McCowan (2)
Good Morning Gents,

Here's my take on last nights clash.

Firstly, wow the stream was high quality and the recording team did a great job. Lauries were very well structured and impressive as always but it was a valiant effort from the villanova boys. I was on the edge of my rocking chair at the end of that first half. Moment of the match was definitely the villanova try, wow it was great to see all the young men celebrate after. Thought for a second the comeback was on at 9-7. Lauries regathered nicely and put the nail in the coffin in those last 15 minutes.

Lauries 11 (especially the goal kicking), 12 and 8 were impressive. The Villanova 3 was an absolute menace as always and threw the lauries 4 around like a couple weights in the gym eh. Villa 10, 12 and 15 were also impressive. Not sure about anyone else but I'm definitely a fan of these nightime games under the lights, provides a great excuse to empty the beer fridge on a weekday - wife wasn't happy (Am I right fellas eh?).

Nonetheless, one of those great games of rugby and look forward to the Padua v Eddies game this afternoon

Chris.

Yes just on that Chris.

One word for that game, WOW.

The Villa boys remained resilient and hungry and after having two players sent off for questionable yellow cards within 3 minutes I thought the flood gates would open. I was wrong, very wrong. Lauries had overlaps all over the park and being up 6-0 it was only a matter of time since one of the slick outside backs crashed over. However, two try saving tackles from Villa's number 9 and their hustle to get over the ball kept them in the game proving they were in it to win it. For a scoreline of 6-0 at the half Villa gave a courageous effort. Well done to them!

As the second half beckoned, and an early drop of the ball off the kick off from the classy Lauries 10 (Lachlan Marchant) and 15 players now back on the field for Villa, it was their time to play some footy. A knock on however stopped them from going over and Lauries kicked the ball down their end of the field. A swift pass from Villa's 11 (Jay Schlecht) to Villa's 15 (Gus Godwin) gave the chance to get his dancing feet moving and he blasted through the Lauries defence. He was quickly met with the Lauries defence coming to cover as he passed to ball to his inside centre (Cameron Bukowski). Watching him go over I thought Villa had a really good chance.

I did see an interesting play happen when Lauries 14 tackled Villa's 23 over the sideline and gave him some sort of gesture. Not sure what that was all about?A couple late tries from Lauries opened the flood gates and it was their game from then on with an end score of 33-7.

Congratulations Lauries!

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
the irony of this comment on this message board.

Having a crack at old rivals on a message board can be all in good spirit unless you mention scholarships /BBC or the courier mail in the other competition's thread.

I am sure Villa's firsts parent/supporter group isnt the worst (I just went to watch the game as I live close), I remember a few days at Shorncliffe that make this pale in comparison back in the early 2000s but it was still pretty funny as we generally hold higher expectations for Coorparoo.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Having a crack at old rivals on a message board can be all in good spirit unless you mention scholarships /BBC or the courier mail in the other competition's thread.

I am sure Villa's firsts parent/supporter group isnt the worst (I just went to watch the game as I live close), I remember a few days at Shorncliffe that make this pale in comparison back in the early 2000s but it was still pretty funny as we generally hold higher expectations for Coorparoo.

and an old boy?

chris1950

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes just on that Chris.

One word for that game, WOW.

The Villa boys remained resilient and hungry and after having two players sent off for questionable yellow cards within 3 minutes I thought the flood gates would open. I was wrong, very wrong. Lauries had overlaps all over the park and being up 6-0 it was only a matter of time since one of the slick outside backs crashed over. However, two try saving tackles from Villa's number 9 and their hustle to get over the ball kept them in the game proving they were in it to win it. For a scoreline of 6-0 at the half Villa gave a courageous effort. Well done to them!

As the second half beckoned, and an early drop of the ball off the kick off from the classy Lauries 10 (Lachlan Marchant) and 15 players now back on the field for Villa, it was their time to play some footy. A knock on however stopped them from going over and Lauries kicked the ball down their end of the field. A swift pass from Villa's 11 (Jay Schlecht) to Villa's 15 (Gus Godwin) gave the chance to get his dancing feet moving and he blasted through the Lauries defence. He was quickly met with the Lauries defence coming to cover as he passed to ball to his inside centre (Cameron Bukowski). Watching him go over I thought Villa had a really good chance.

I did see an interesting play happen when Lauries 14 tackled Villa's 23 over the sideline and gave him some sort of gesture. Not sure what that was all about?A couple late tries from Lauries opened the flood gates and it was their game from then on with an end score of 33-7.

Congratulations Lauries!

Yeah Will not sure what that little gesture was on the sideline, don't think he even knew what he was doing himself. Would call it a lack of sportsmanship but I personally love to see a bit of rivalry within the games eh. 14 has been a strong winger for the Lauries side however did miss out on the Met-East team due to his lack of speed/skill which maybe fueled him for the game last night.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Who are the AIC boys who made the Met teams? I'm aware of Tom Twaddell and Gus Godwin from Villa, any other schools represented?

chris1950

Bob McCowan (2)
Who are the AIC boys who made the Met teams? I'm aware of Tom Twaddell and Gus Godwin from Villa, any other schools represented?

Harry Grant-Smith and Tommy Lawrence from Villanova also,
Harry Holt (8) from Lauries
Padua definitely have a few but not too familiar with them.