• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2022

Afternoon Gentlemen,
Didn't stay long however Ionas backline seems very dangerous this year, the outside center was running circles around the brown dogs.
Forward pack seemed strong for Padua even with the similar size in packs. Anyone else got info?

LANCEALOT

Stan Wickham (3)
Afternoon Gentlemen,
Didn't stay long however Ionas backline seems very dangerous this year, the outside center was running circles around the brown dogs.
Forward pack seemed strong for Padua even with the similar size in packs. Anyone else got info?
Agree the Padua forwards looked good.....really put it to Iona IMO......I am pretty sure Iona thought that they were going to walk all over Padua in this trial.....however not sure what the Padua coaching staff were thinking putting a grade 10 kid (and its not his fault) on the wing....and the fullback looked like he was all of 40 kilos ringing wet.....this smells to me like the coaching staff have written this season off and are only really working towards the next couple of years as the next three grades below have gone through as premiers if I am not mistaken.....thoughts anyone!

Agree the Padua forwards looked good.....really put it to Iona IMO......I am pretty sure Iona thought that they were going to walk all over Padua in this trial.....however not sure what the Padua coaching staff were thinking putting a grade 10 kid (and its not his fault) on the wing....and the fullback looked like he was all of 40 kilos ringing wet.....this smells to me like the coaching staff have written this season off and are only really working towards the next couple of years as the next three grades below have gone through as premiers if I am not mistaken.....thoughts anyone!
Jeez rough assessment on Padua I had them in my top 4 this year and Iona are going to a strong team to beat. The likes of Andrew de jager and Mitch Ross will lead the padua forward pack definitely a very good chance to be a wildcard team this year and knock off schools such as Laurie’s and MCA

Jeez rough assessment on Padua I had them in my top 4 this year and Iona are going to a strong team to beat. The likes of Andrew de jager and Mitch Ross will lead the padua forward pack definitely a very good chance to be a wildcard team this year and knock off schools such as Laurie’s and MCA
Paduas pack seemed to be more dominant throughout the first half and the intensity brought was good signs. They looked hungrier than iona and seemed to treat the game as a championship. If this mindset is continued padua could be a real contender for top dog.

LANCEALOT

Stan Wickham (3)
Paduas pack seemed to be more dominant throughout the first half and the intensity brought was good signs. They looked hungrier than iona and seemed to treat the game as a championship. If this mindset is continued padua could be a real contender for top dog.
Lets hope this is the case Jim! Sadly i feel the defensive pattern (game plan) of having the no 8 and hooker defend next to the wingers will leak points......could you just imagine how excited a speedy outside center would be, looking up and seeing a tired 120kg no 8 hanging out on the wing.

Lets hope this is the case Jim! Sadly i feel the defensive pattern (game plan) of having the no 8 and hooker defend next to the wingers will leak points......could you just imagine how excited a speedy outside center would be, looking up and seeing a tired 120kg no 8 hanging out on the wing.
Who was this 120kg number 8 then?

LANCEALOT

Stan Wickham (3)
Who was this 120kg number 8 then?
Big strapping Polynesian lad that came on in the second half If I remember correctly. I would hate to try to stop him 2 meters from the line, but did look confused in defense after taking a few forward runs. I really do hope Padua cause some upsets especially against Marist.

Big strapping Polynesian lad that came on in the second half If I remember correctly. I would hate to try to stop him 2 meters from the line, but did look confused in defense after taking a few forward runs. I really do hope Padua cause some upsets especially against Marist.
Would be special however padua will need to do a bit more work with the whole team before that could occur.
How do we think Padua will perform against St Peters who are also a looking strong?

LANCEALOT

Stan Wickham (3)
Would be special however padua will need to do a bit more work with the whole team before that could occur.
How do we think Padua will perform against St Peters who are also a looking strong?
Yeah agree with that Jim! Where do you think the weak link is in the chocolate logs team Jim?
St Peters will be a hand full as that year group has been no push over. I understand they also had been involved in the pre season comp so plenty of time to perfect their moves. Any news on Padua pre season trial games apart from last week?

Richard Bennett

Frank Row (1)
Chats as dead as a door knob, any predicted line ups yet, what teams have been training already, who do we think the premiership race is between this year I’ve heard it’s a close age group.
You're right Analysis 101, been far too quiet. I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Will be an interesting year. Marist have quite a few boys returning, with strong contributors from this year Harry Gould in the front row, Pat Gavin in the 2nd row, and Condon, Barry and Tierney in the backs. 2nds won a premiership with quite a few year 11's, and some big improvers in the year 10 cohort. With Anthony Mathison in the coaching group will be a threat. Laurie's must start as favourites though. Good to see they have got their act together. Du Plessis will have them ready to go and many backing up from their premiership this year. Will miss Jackson. Goss and Holt in the forwards though. Nedanic backing up will have a lot of weight on his shoulders, but very impressive this year.

Iona have always been the strongest in this cohort but didn't look so good this year, really missed Quinn at Fullback. However, They did share a premiership in the 2nds with MCA (I don't care what the AIC website says, SLC BEAT Marist in the 1st round 27-5, NOT the other way around. Surprised this has not been mentioned before). Their 10 A's did seem to drop a bit, but I still expect them to be a strong contender.

Padua will be good too, but I need input from others. Not sure on those backing up but their head of rugby has been working hard to get a solid program together and it seems to be reaping dividends with premierships in 10A's, 9A's and 8A's. Watch this space.

Of the others expect Eddie's to keep improving on results this year. Better showing from the opens teams and a good if not great year 10 cohort. Peter's have 7 forwards returning, not sure on backs depth though. Can never tell who will rock up though so expect they will cover whatever weaknesses they need to. Expect a few new faces. Pat's and Villa are a bit vulnerable. Reasonable results from year 10 has them looking better for 2023.

Prediction;
1 SLC
2 MCA
3 Iona
4 Padua
5 Peters
6 Eddies
7 Pats
8 Villa

Gentlemen?
This is wrong in many ways, Iona and Villa are great teams in this competition Villa definitely top 4. With the shifty 10 in Larry Clark, Flankers in Ben Addley and Jackson Moloney, and great depth with a strong bench and 2nds backline.

Rugby tragic101

Bob McCowan (2)
Indeed Rich. Villa will be tested this week against a tough Iona backline featuring the likes of Trappet and the Hoad Twins. Villas backline shuffle has landed young Connor Moloney moving from 13 to 12 in place of the injured Bukowski, and he had a cracker against Ashgrove. Believe he’s in for a big one this weekend. Should be a good weekend of footy lads.
Regards
This is wrong in many ways, Iona and Villa are great teams in this competition Villa definitely top 4. With the shifty 10 in Larry Clark, Flankers in Ben Addley and Jackson Moloney, and great depth with a strong bench and 2nds backline.

LANCEALOT

Stan Wickham (3)
1651178904651.png

Fynn Gamer

Frank Row (1)
With the likes of the young connor jackson at 13, and the fully recovered jack saunders, without a dout villa of top 4 contenders even without broncos recuite Cameron Bukowski. I thoroughly believe Villa will be a conpetive side for 2022, not to mention their depth in the 2nds.

Joe Collins

Frank Row (1)
Hey Guys,
The season is due to kick off this Saturday and I still haven't had confirmation from AIC that they will be assisting schools on live streaming the games. This means we won't be able to use them to put up our HT and FT scores for the games and so I'm reaching out to hopefully find a couple of people from here to recruit for the season to help out.

Ideally we'd need one or two people from each school to send through HT and FT scores to our facebook messenger so that we can get them up quickly for everyone. If there are any of you lurking on here who plan on following your 1st XV all season, get in touch with us at our facebook page or on here, we are going to need all the help we can get this season.

Cheers!!
With the likes of the young connor jackson at 13, and the fully recovered jack saunders, without a dout villa of top 4 contenders even without broncos recuite Cameron Bukowski. I thoroughly believe Villa will be a conpetive side for 2022, not to mention their depth in the 2nds.
Considering the sheer strength of some of villanova’s players like Benjamin Addley “spads” and James Bruce Sullivan III “jubba” will present quite a challenge for the opposition. Not to mention the speed of Larry Clark. However, the Villanova 2nds also present a problem as their whole roster has the potential of moving to the firsts, quite specifically, Blake Bishop.