• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2022

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
What a way to kick off 2022. Ambrose Treacy have a massive foot in the door with an invitation to "Fill in" wherever schools have a non contest from another school. They might be playing all over the city on any given Saturday but this will surely end up being in the seconds in the St Peters round. Not a bad thing..plenty of rugby culture there.

Chats as dead as a door knob, any predicted line ups yet, what teams have been training already, who do we think the premiership race is between this year I’ve heard it’s a close age group.

Bluebag

Banned
You're right Analysis 101, been far too quiet. I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Will be an interesting year. Marist have quite a few boys returning, with strong contributors from this year Harry Gould in the front row, Pat Gavin in the 2nd row, and Condon, Barry and Tierney in the backs. 2nds won a premiership with quite a few year 11's, and some big improvers in the year 10 cohort. With Anthony Mathison in the coaching group will be a threat. Laurie's must start as favourites though. Good to see they have got their act together. Du Plessis will have them ready to go and many backing up from their premiership this year. Will miss Jackson. Goss and Holt in the forwards though. Nedanic backing up will have a lot of weight on his shoulders, but very impressive this year.

Iona have always been the strongest in this cohort but didn't look so good this year, really missed Quinn at Fullback. However, They did share a premiership in the 2nds with MCA (I don't care what the AIC website says, SLC BEAT Marist in the 1st round 27-5, NOT the other way around. Surprised this has not been mentioned before). Their 10 A's did seem to drop a bit, but I still expect them to be a strong contender.

Padua will be good too, but I need input from others. Not sure on those backing up but their head of rugby has been working hard to get a solid program together and it seems to be reaping dividends with premierships in 10A's, 9A's and 8A's. Watch this space.

Of the others expect Eddie's to keep improving on results this year. Better showing from the opens teams and a good if not great year 10 cohort. Peter's have 7 forwards returning, not sure on backs depth though. Can never tell who will rock up though so expect they will cover whatever weaknesses they need to. Expect a few new faces. Pat's and Villa are a bit vulnerable. Reasonable results from year 10 has them looking better for 2023.

Prediction;
1 SLC
2 MCA
3 Iona
4 Padua
5 Peters
6 Eddies
7 Pats
8 Villa

Gentlemen?

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Good post Bluebag. I can really only comment a bit on SLC - as you said some good players have graduated but I recall last year two of their best were the #12 and #13, who I’m pretty sure are back again this year as Year 12s. So that’s good from a combinations perspective. The #12 in particular had a storming 2021, so I’m keen to see how he goes in his final season.

Bluebag

Banned
Thanks Drewprint. Yep, Looking forward to that match up. I knew #12 Mikael Ibrahim was backing up. Wasn't sure about #13 Woods but cheers for the heads up. Both had cracking years this year, great combination and caused headaches for all teams they faced.

Tasman Barry will move from the wing to the centres and most likely will be joined by Sam Cheetham, Both in the 188-190cm and 95kg+ range and both played centres in the MCA 1st XIII league team this year. So will be a heavyweight clash in the centres.

Cannot wait to see that!

Padua can’t be underestimated aswell I feel as if they will go close but as I said earlier this age group is very hard to judge and bluebag’s ladder seemed like the most accurate result but we will have to wait and see what a year it will be. Anyone know what the tours will most likely be for the school, will be interested to see if some school opt out of ballymore cup to tour somewhere like Sydney ect.

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
You’d have to think the dark horses are Iona, strong across most grades, a handful of Mal M league players and a fair bit of size as well. I recall watching a pretty handy fullback and centre that will be in the team.

I think Kefu is the coaching director there so he will have a decent program set up.

Any Iona boys thoughts on this years team?

Well iona won it all the years I’m pretty sure from grade 5 and onwards except grade 10 where they shared with mca, so yes if anything they should be the favourites for premiers but now it seems as if Laurie’s have the strongest looking team

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to the 4 AIC boys from the class of 2020 who have been selected in the junior Wallabies squad.

Floyd Aubrey and Nick Baker (MCA)
John Bryant (SLC)
Keynan Tauakipulu (SPLC)

Well done lads.

Just have spoken to a few people I know around MCA they still do have a few options such as Gilbert Donaldson he played a few minutes for the firsts last year and also there’s a chance Toby Anderson could slide into the second row

I’m going to do a bit of an Analysis here on some players to watch for each team as I’ve been following this year/age group since about grade 8

Padua - Andrew de jagar currently with falcons in mal and if playing prop will be the fittest prop in aic for certain this year he is a lethal force in scrums on ball and runner so he’s a name to watch
Mitch Ross is a big human and easily one of the best loose fowards coming into this year. Strong in defence and great carrier. U don’t want to run at him

SLC- Mikael Ibrahim Probably aic best last year, signed with st George and in reds u18 he is a great runner and extremely strong in defence will be exciting to see him and woods in centres again this year will be deadly. joe nedaic Great 6 not sure if he will play 6 or 7 this year but great over ball and very fit. Strong aswell and great ball carrier and good in defence both him and mikael playing Mal together.

MCA- Pat Tierny had a huge season last year arguably one of the best fullbacks of the comp looks like he will be there again played in the under 16s Qld reds maroons team last year I’m sure he’s had a big pre season and ready for another big season. Harry gould made the team of the year last year at 1 one of props to watch this year very good scrummer and solid ball carry picking up a lot of post contact meters (has a 240kg squat) also made the Qld white team last year will be looking to improve on that.

SEC - Larry Siala class number 8 last year looks huge this year and is a man mountain currently signed by the Gold Coast titans and playing for the Ipswich jets in the mal meniga comp. Kids and a freak played the for the Qld under 16s maroon team
Tafito will be the halfback I think next year and is a class player. He is very illusive and carved up in the 10a last year and got some mins in firsts. He is exciting with his footwork and is a great 9 keen to see him carve up.

Villa- Cameron Bukowski kids a generational talent signed by the broncos more of a league player but don’t let that fool you will most likely play 10 or 12 where he did in a few games last year has excellent footwork and has put on a lot of size over off season I’ve heard.
Tom Lawrence, correct me if I’m wrong but am more than certain he is in year 12 this year. He was awesome for villa last year. Really stood up in the bigs games with his turnovers and run meters and was best on ground at many games. He is in for a big year

Iona- Jeremy trappet currently playing for Wynumm in the under 18s comp and has been named captain. Was the fullback of the season last year and is going to be looking to set that as hes bench mark again this season
Tarney is the man you want on year team. Missing last years season to injury he will be fired up for this year and the sheer size of him is incredible for his age. He is a monster in the rucks running and in defence and with colts 2 experience last year he will be a force to be wrecked with

PATS- Jett Daly, Jett is a loose foward and had a great season last year and was a true instrument to there success. He is great and pick and drives and his step is good causing him to break the line a fair bit last year. His ball work and defence is great aswell.
Ethan Travis had a good year aswell last year and has a similar playing style to Jett, they will work off the back of each other and am keen to seem spc this year.

SPLC- Splc I don’t know much about all I know is there are 11 year 11s from last year returning. The centre I am not sure of his name Kaylan kiyan not sure is very good and was shelved on wing for qld u18 he will be in for a big season he captained the side in year 11 aswell I belive Splc will be a big big force this year and have the potential to go all the way.

Very excited to see how this years seasons pans out with almost every team having a genuine shit at taking the premiership my bet is we see a shared premiership this year!