• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2022

theaicanalyse

Bob McCowan (2)
We all know the Iona is tipped to win the comp but I reckon Padua won't be too far behind. A good couple of debutants and returning players they’ll have a very strong side. Andrew De Jager last year’s rookie of the year and Taylor Rohl who is currently signed to the Redcliffe dolphins missed out last year due to injury are two players to keep a close eye on.

I’m going to do a bit of an Analysis here on some players to watch for each team as I’ve been following this year/age group since about grade 8

Padua - Andrew de jagar currently with falcons in mal and if playing prop will be the fittest prop in aic for certain this year he is a lethal force in scrums on ball and runner so he’s a name to watch
Mitch Ross is a big human and easily one of the best loose fowards coming into this year. Strong in defence and great carrier. U don’t want to run at him

SLC- Mikael Ibrahim Probably aic best last year, signed with st George and in reds u18 he is a great runner and extremely strong in defence will be exciting to see him and woods in centres again this year will be deadly. joe nedaic Great 6 not sure if he will play 6 or 7 this year but great over ball and very fit. Strong aswell and great ball carrier and good in defence both him and mikael playing Mal together.

MCA- Pat Tierny had a huge season last year arguably one of the best fullbacks of the comp looks like he will be there again played in the under 16s Qld reds maroons team last year I’m sure he’s had a big pre season and ready for another big season. Harry gould made the team of the year last year at 1 one of props to watch this year very good scrummer and solid ball carry picking up a lot of post contact meters (has a 240kg squat) also made the Qld white team last year will be looking to improve on that.

SEC - Larry Siala class number 8 last year looks huge this year and is a man mountain currently signed by the Gold Coast titans and playing for the Ipswich jets in the mal meniga comp. Kids and a freak played the for the Qld under 16s maroon team
Tafito will be the halfback I think next year and is a class player. He is very illusive and carved up in the 10a last year and got some mins in firsts. He is exciting with his footwork and is a great 9 keen to see him carve up.

Villa- Cameron Bukowski kids a generational talent signed by the broncos more of a league player but don’t let that fool you will most likely play 10 or 12 where he did in a few games last year has excellent footwork and has put on a lot of size over off season I’ve heard.
Tom Lawrence, correct me if I’m wrong but am more than certain he is in year 12 this year. He was awesome for villa last year. Really stood up in the bigs games with his turnovers and run meters and was best on ground at many games. He is in for a big year

Iona- Jeremy trappet currently playing for Wynumm in the under 18s comp and has been named captain. Was the fullback of the season last year and is going to be looking to set that as hes bench mark again this season
Tarney is the man you want on year team. Missing last years season to injury he will be fired up for this year and the sheer size of him is incredible for his age. He is a monster in the rucks running and in defence and with colts 2 experience last year he will be a force to be wrecked with

PATS- Jett Daly, Jett is a loose foward and had a great season last year and was a true instrument to there success. He is great and pick and drives and his step is good causing him to break the line a fair bit last year. His ball work and defence is great aswell.
Ethan Travis had a good year aswell last year and has a similar playing style to Jett, they will work off the back of each other and am keen to seem spc this year.

SPLC- Splc I don’t know much about all I know is there are 11 year 11s from last year returning. The centre I am not sure of his name Kaylan kiyan not sure is very good and was shelved on wing for qld u18 he will be in for a big season he captained the side in year 11 aswell I belive Splc will be a big big force this year and have the potential to go all the way.

Very excited to see how this years seasons pans out with almost every team having a genuine shit at taking the premiership my bet is we see a shared premiership this year!
really sad that the majority of these kids seem to have aligned themselves with League.

really sad that the majority of these kids seem to have aligned themselves with League.
I do think its because of the marketing behind it. Rugby union over the past few years has been pretty average in getting boys started at a young age. Every day you here about teenagers getting signed to big clubs and I believe kids want that reputation of 'He's signed to .....'
If we wanted to see a shift it has to come from the top. Heavier demand of development players would see great success in keeping these boys in union.

I do think its because of the marketing behind it. Rugby union over the past few years has been pretty average in getting boys started at a young age. Every day you here about teenagers getting signed to big clubs and I believe kids want that reputation of 'He's signed to .....'
If we wanted to see a shift it has to come from the top. Heavier demand of development players would see great success in keeping these boys in union.
Couldn’t agree more it’s definitely not a development thing every teams in my opinion have strong delvpoment squads just the fact kids play both league and union but they are always choosing league over union cause there’s more opportunities in juniors for league as there are 16 clubs with larger development squads

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
I’m going to do a bit of an Analysis here on some players to watch for each team as I’ve been following this year/age group since about grade 8

Padua - Andrew de jagar currently with falcons in mal and if playing prop will be the fittest prop in aic for certain this year he is a lethal force in scrums on ball and runner so he’s a name to watch
Mitch Ross is a big human and easily one of the best loose fowards coming into this year. Strong in defence and great carrier. U don’t want to run at him

SLC- Mikael Ibrahim Probably aic best last year, signed with st George and in reds u18 he is a great runner and extremely strong in defence will be exciting to see him and woods in centres again this year will be deadly. joe nedaic Great 6 not sure if he will play 6 or 7 this year but great over ball and very fit. Strong aswell and great ball carrier and good in defence both him and mikael playing Mal together.

MCA- Pat Tierny had a huge season last year arguably one of the best fullbacks of the comp looks like he will be there again played in the under 16s Qld reds maroons team last year I’m sure he’s had a big pre season and ready for another big season. Harry gould made the team of the year last year at 1 one of props to watch this year very good scrummer and solid ball carry picking up a lot of post contact meters (has a 240kg squat) also made the Qld white team last year will be looking to improve on that.

SEC - Larry Siala class number 8 last year looks huge this year and is a man mountain currently signed by the Gold Coast titans and playing for the Ipswich jets in the mal meniga comp. Kids and a freak played the for the Qld under 16s maroon team
Tafito will be the halfback I think next year and is a class player. He is very illusive and carved up in the 10a last year and got some mins in firsts. He is exciting with his footwork and is a great 9 keen to see him carve up.

Villa- Cameron Bukowski kids a generational talent signed by the broncos more of a league player but don’t let that fool you will most likely play 10 or 12 where he did in a few games last year has excellent footwork and has put on a lot of size over off season I’ve heard.
Tom Lawrence, correct me if I’m wrong but am more than certain he is in year 12 this year. He was awesome for villa last year. Really stood up in the bigs games with his turnovers and run meters and was best on ground at many games. He is in for a big year

Iona- Jeremy trappet currently playing for Wynumm in the under 18s comp and has been named captain. Was the fullback of the season last year and is going to be looking to set that as hes bench mark again this season
Tarney is the man you want on year team. Missing last years season to injury he will be fired up for this year and the sheer size of him is incredible for his age. He is a monster in the rucks running and in defence and with colts 2 experience last year he will be a force to be wrecked with

PATS- Jett Daly, Jett is a loose foward and had a great season last year and was a true instrument to there success. He is great and pick and drives and his step is good causing him to break the line a fair bit last year. His ball work and defence is great aswell.
Ethan Travis had a good year aswell last year and has a similar playing style to Jett, they will work off the back of each other and am keen to seem spc this year.

SPLC- Splc I don’t know much about all I know is there are 11 year 11s from last year returning. The centre I am not sure of his name Kaylan kiyan not sure is very good and was shelved on wing for qld u18 he will be in for a big season he captained the side in year 11 aswell I belive Splc will be a big big force this year and have the potential to go all the way.

Very excited to see how this years seasons pans out with almost every team having a genuine shit at taking the premiership my bet is we see a shared premiership this year!

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
I am pretty sure someone wouldn't be signed to a rugby league team,and be in the Reds Acadamy,but great story on the lauries boys....

TheLopsidedLurker

Stan Wickham (3)
School kids are back posting.
Just wanted to put this out there, the 'Isaac Gay' comment is actually real... kid played second row in the Seconds for MCA last year as a 200cm-205cm agile ball runner. Although I will add he needs to put some meat on them bones before going against those bigger players from other schools, such as Padua's prop John Steinmetz who has experience in the 2nds with players such as Mitch Ross and Andrew De Jager. He is also now clocking in at 120kg after a big preseason... will be quite interesting to see how they utilise him.

Just wanted to put this out there, the 'Isaac Gay' comment is actually real... kid played second row in the Seconds for MCA last year as a 200cm-205cm agile ball runner. Although I will add he needs to put some meat on them bones before going against those bigger players from other schools, such as Padua's prop John Steinmetz who has experience in the 2nds with players such as Mitch Ross and Andrew De Jager. He is also now clocking in at 120kg after a big preseason... will be quite interesting to see how they utilise him.
No he didn’t I spoke to school teachers I know there, although he is in there top 30 squad for this year apparently

I am pretty sure someone wouldn't be signed to a rugby league team,and be in the Reds Acadamy,but great story on the lauries boys....
Well I thought this aswell but then read on courier mail that he was with st George and a few weeks later saw a Facebook post from Laurie’s congratulating him for signing with reds u18

Andrew Johns

Bob McCowan (2)
With many teams with upcoming trials, here are some of teams I believe will have some players to watch out for with some Rookies on the come up:

Marist Isaac gay making his way into the 30 man squad for Marist he is force to be reckoned with, another one being Tom Perin with him rising up the ranks to make it also in the 30 man squad, with both set to make there debut for them through trials they will be exciting to watch these too pair up as they used to play together along side, both progressing through the ranks to the higher teams, with both being in the c's in grade 10 they have been working hard to reach the top.

Padua colleges Sebastian Heselden and Jonah walker also pairing up in Padua's first xv squad for 2022 they have both been putting in the hard work week in week out, with both playing for brothers in prior years they are looking to link up in the first this year with Jonah being an upcoming 9 although with a fair bit of coemption too within the team, also Sebastian looking to rank from thirds to firsts through a hard preseason last year and getting cut short of making a first debut of the bench he still managed to carve up in the seconds and thirds playing flanker, now moving into the front row with other team members.

St pat's With Ben Murphy also putting on a great season in the seconds and also playing off the utility in the Confro team too, he's looking to move up to firsts most likely on either the wing or maybe centres if he can put on some size, another being

St Laurie's having Callum Reidy also being on the verge of playing firsts too as he playing firsts of the bench last year he is looking to cement a position in the firsts this year either being a utility hooker or slotting in at halfback.

With many teams with upcoming trials, here are some of teams I believe will have some players to watch out for with some Rookies on the come up:

Marist Isaac gay making his way into the 30 man squad for Marist he is force to be reckoned with, another one being Tom Perin with him rising up the ranks to make it also in the 30 man squad, with both set to make there debut for them through trials they will be exciting to watch these too pair up as they used to play together along side, both progressing through the ranks to the higher teams, with both being in the c's in grade 10 they have been working hard to reach the top.

Padua colleges Sebastian Heselden and Jonah walker also pairing up in Padua's first xv squad for 2022 they have both been putting in the hard work week in week out, with both playing for brothers in prior years they are looking to link up in the first this year with Jonah being an upcoming 9 although with a fair bit of coemption too within the team, also Sebastian looking to rank from thirds to firsts through a hard preseason last year and getting cut short of making a first debut of the bench he still managed to carve up in the seconds and thirds playing flanker, now moving into the front row with other team members.

St pat's With Ben Murphy also putting on a great season in the seconds and also playing off the utility in the Confro team too, he's looking to move up to firsts most likely on either the wing or maybe centres if he can put on some size, another being

St Laurie's having Callum Reidy also being on the verge of playing firsts too as he playing firsts of the bench last year he is looking to cement a position in the firsts this year either being a utility hooker or slotting in at halfback.
How is one a "utility hooker or slotting in at halfback" two very different positions with very different skill sets? Or does this mean Lauries are incredibly weak?

Andrew Johns

Bob McCowan (2)
How is one a "utility hooker or slotting in at halfback" two very different positions with very different skill sets? Or does this mean Lauries are incredibly weak?
With in the past years him being a good hooker and having a decent throw on him in a line out it set him in at hooker, although being the build of a 9 can still slot in there, it has happened before an example being the iona hooker last year for union then played as a play maker 9 when it came to league.

With in the past years him being a good hooker and having a decent throw on him in a line out it set him in at hooker, although being the build of a 9 can still slot in there, it has happened before an example being the iona hooker last year for union then played as a play maker 9 when it came to league.
should be noted Reidy played BJRU as a starting hooker then moved to 9 in the second half. He would then do kick offs and occasionally conversions.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I thought this aswell but then read on courier mail that he was with st George and a few weeks later saw a Facebook post from Laurie’s congratulating him for signing with reds u18
I doubt the QLD reds have anyone signed under the age of 18,id say he would be in the reds academy,which is generally for kids who are not in a solid rugby program,to try and enhance there skill level.

should be noted Reidy played BJRU as a starting hooker then moved to 9 in the second half. He would then do kick offs and occasionally conversions.
A tight head prop seeing a halfback at hooker would froth over that the likes of Andrew de jager and harry Gould would dominate him in the scrums

TheLopsidedLurker

Stan Wickham (3)
I would just like to put it out there that Padua will unfortunately not have their outside centre, Aiden Hunter, after he signed a deal with a union rugby squad over in Japan and is currently training there instead and is unable to be in the 30 man squad... He also suffered an ACL injury early last year, which put him out for the 2021 season, but apparently was a "force" in the 10A's alongside Noah Harney in the centres. Also, Mitch Ney, who played a few games in the 1sts of 2021 (he even broke a MCA kid's ribs in the trial when playing 2nds) for Padua, was a wrecking ball running forward when playing alongside Aiden in the 10A's and they really gelled well together as an 8/12 combo. Padua will have to look elsewhere to the likes of Fraser Pye, who recently joined the college and has the fastest 100m sprint of the entire squad... Or even putting Will Adams in the centres?

Attached is what the Water Gush (the team Aiden Hunter signed to) posted in mid-December after signing the young star.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited: