• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just out of interest, did any non kiwis from this forum watch the Japan test?

Yeah I did, had to get my fix somehow. I was impressed with the Japanese, their defence in their first half was great. Unfair in the 2nd half as you blokes went to globetrotters mode.

Also thought you have some great talent coming through, Looks like Richie is much more suited to this level. And Bridge will be a mainstay for a while.

It reminded me of when I played a Japanese schools side a while back. We billeted them and they stayed with us for a few nights prior to the game. We thought it would be a complete walk over because they were half the size of us.

But they were surprisingly tenacious and incredibly well drilled. Despite their size their tackling was impeccable and their rucking was accurate. After the game they told us that they trained nearly 11 months of the year (compared to our like 6 months).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What does Laumape have to do to get into the top 23? I'd have him over SBW eight days a week.

Laumape has become almost late-career Nonu-like in a very short space of time plus appears able to kick off either foot. I'd say SBW is running outta time to prove he's still the guy who can do this:

1541444289046.jpg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Laumape has become almost late-career Nonu-like in a very short space of time plus appears able to kick off either foot. I'd say SBW is running outta time to prove he's still the guy who can do this:

Laumape seems to find the try line better than anyone else, scores 2+ tries pretty regularly. You could do worse than a long-term midfield combination of Laumape and Goodhue.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ once Crotty finishes, absolutely. The challenge then will be keeping hold of AL-B as the more-or-less permanent 22 who gets the odd start at 12 or 13. That's a big ask given there's not too many guys out there who're almost equally adept at both which is bound to have the Brit, French & Japanese clubs sniffing around.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I reckon Laumape's main work on is his defence. His defence has been exposed this year at times and was even the case against Japan on the weekend. He got bumped off for one Japanese try and then in another he got overpowered for a try.

Meanwhile SBW i'm not convinced meshes with Beauden at 10. I don't think it's a coincidence his best test performance this year came when Beauden wasn't at 10.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Karl T would have already been in the 23 already - he will go from bench to starting loosehead with Ofa T probably coming into the 23 on the bench.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is the AB team for the England test apparently.

All Blacks: Damian McKenzie, Ben Smith, Jack Goodhue, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (capt), Ardie Savea, Liam Squire, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Karl Tu'inukuafe. Reserves: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Nepo Laulala, Scott Barrett, Matt Todd, TJ Perenara, Richie Mo'unga, Ryan Crotty

Status
Not open for further replies.