• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So following another season of growing personal indignity about anything rugby from over the ditch I REALLY thought I would be barracking for the POMS here.

Nup. Emotion just grabs, forget your head, heart simply dictates.

Look, awesome game England - close (but no cigar). Congratulations to the Black, kicking northern rugby in the arse, apparently I really like seeing this. Well done.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Well I had a great day of rugby. Woke up at 4am for the ABs. Followed it up by Australia v Wales (though I listened to last half online while walking the hounds). Then watched South Africa do their best to lose to France. Even snuck in a bit of Maori All Blacks as well.

Part of me wonders if the ABs were simply trying to see if a kicking game is a way to beat the rush defence. Strange it took them so long to switch plans. They certainly looked dangerous when they kept the pill and started smashing it up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SBW's injury was apparently a Grade 1 AC so defo won't play v Oirland & possibly/ probably not v Italy either. In the normal course of events that would leave him needing to play the house down in Super Rugby to earn a RWC spot but this being SBW such may not be the case. I've never really bought into the hype around him, while always seeing why the hype exists, but surely he now goes into the "must earn a place" category.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
England were robbed for me with that TMO decision - but that was one of three pivotal moments for me - the other two being England's decision in wet conditions to turn down shot for goal and instead go for the line and then Retallick winning key England lineout with England in strong attacking position close to AB line.

One of the worst TMO involvments we've seen. And apparently also not in accordance with the WR (World Rugby) protocols on TMO involvement issued on the 3rd of October 2018.

Guiding principles
• The TMO is a tool to help referees and assistant referees. The referee should not be subservient to the system. The referee is responsible for managing the TMO process
• The referee is the decision-maker and must remain in charge of the game
• Any relevant information taken into consideration must be CLEAR and OBVIOUS and in the context of materiality
• The application of the TMO system must be credible and consistent, protecting the image of the game

2.5 In reviewing the potential offence, the TMO must use the criterion on each occasion that the infringement must be clear and obvious if he is to advise the referee not to award a try. If there is any doubt as to whether an offence has occurred or not the TMO must advise that an offence has not occurred.

file:///C:/Users/Paul/Downloads/TMO_Protocol_Nov_18_Tier1_Hosted_Matches_EN.pdf

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of the worst TMO involvments we've seen. And apparently also not in accordance with the WR (World Rugby) protocols on TMO involvement issued on the 3rd of October 2018.

World Rugby have said that the protocols were followed; that Garces, who couldn't see much on the screen due to the weather, was right to go with Jonkers' view of the incident; and that the correct decision was made.

For once I agree with Sir Clive that the reason England lost was twice turning down a relatively easy three when leading 15-13.

Those saying "they was robbed" is also making the assumption that had the Lawes try stood AB wouldn't have been able to win it at the death, something they've become rather good at in recent years (Dublin 2013, Brisbane 2014, Pretoria 2018, for example).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I won’t say they were robbed but that wasn’t offside - certainly not obviously.
The image supporting the offside call is a bit biased.
Lawes was behind the back foot the whole way. At the moment that TJ picks up the ball, the NZ. Rucker steps through the ruck. It’s that image you see - lawes compared to the forward moving foot of the NZ Rucker as TJ picks up the ball.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lawes was behind the back foot the whole way. At the moment that TJ picks up the ball, the NZ. Rucker steps through the ruck. It’s that image you see - lawes compared to the forward moving foot of the NZ Rucker as TJ picks up the ball.

I still have no idea, mind you I like the rest of you don't get all the angles the TMO does, I was quite happy for try to be awarded or not as TMO and/or ref saw it. It old story, we only notice these decisions at end of game anyway, sure if we looked hard enough we could try and argue a few decisions during any test!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
World Rugby have said that the protocols were followed; that Garces, who couldn't see much on the screen due to the weather, was right to go with Jonkers' view of the incident; and that the correct decision was made.

For once I agree with Sir Clive that the reason England lost was twice turning down a relatively easy three when leading 15-13.

Those saying "they was robbed" is also making the assumption that had the Lawes try stood AB wouldn't have been able to win it at the death, something they've become rather good at in recent years (Dublin 2013, Brisbane 2014, Pretoria 2018, for example).

I'm not so sure that the correct decision was made, and certainly wasn't "clear and obvious" as the new protocols state. The fact that we needed multiple replays of the incident to try to work out whether or not he advanced before the half cleared the ball attests to this.

I prefer the O'Keefe response in the Wallabies game where he went with his own call and didn't involve the TMO in the late tackle on Halfpenny.

I agree that the ABs could still have won and the examples that you provide are persuasive. They simply know how to win the close ones better than anyone else in world rugby at the moment.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I still have no idea, mind you I like the rest of you don't get all the angles the TMO does, I was quite happy for try to be awarded or not as TMO and/or ref saw it. It old story, we only notice these decisions at end of game anyway, sure if we looked hard enough we could try and argue a few decisions during any test!

I'd much rather we stay with the refs on-field decision and I'm happy to live with 50/50 calls made by the ref. I'm philosophically opposed to TMO involvement in anything other than the actual act of grounding the ball and blatant foul play. WR (World Rugby) seem to be trying to wind back TMO involvement, they just need to wind it back a bit more.

I've made the same arguement when the Wallabies have been favoured by TMO involvement.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Twickers was KRead's 100th Test victory, a mark previously reached only by McCaw, Mealamu & Woodcock:
wouldnt mind wallowing in that old stat sheet showing the Top 20 alltime test rugby winning %s among players.... with about 18 AB's dominating the list. I think Conrad Smith/Crockett were at the top a couple years ago when I saw it. Mightve been 30 test minimum or something.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I'm pretty much with Dan54 on this one: had the try not been reviewed, or reviewed & allowed to stand, it wouldn't have bothered me too much & if we'd lost I'd be pointing the finger at Beaugan & others for kicking way too much & too inaccurately for that first 30-odd minutes.

BUT....

There was a really good screen-grab on The Breakdown last night & it was fairly obvious that the Ringinland backs were "flat" at best & Lawes had a decent head-start on them even before the ruck lurched forward as TJP was in the act of picking the ball up.

As I've noted above in reply to Quick Hands, WR (World Rugby) have said the protocols were followed; Garces had cause to take Jonkers advice (Garces being barely able to see the screen); and, most importantly, that the correct decision was made.

EDIT: this isn't the screen-grab I'm talking about but it's pretty close:

DrqCLlXVsAAlqxV.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks: 1. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 2. Codie Taylor, 3. Owen Franks, 4. Sam Whitelock, 5. Brodie Retallick, 6. Liam Squire, 7. Ardie Savea, 8. Kieran Read, 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Beauden Barrett, 11. Rieko Ioane, 12. Ryan Crotty, 13. Jack Goodhue, 14. Ben Smith, 15. Damian McKenzie
Reserves: 16. Dane Coles, 17. Ofa Tuungafasi, 18. Nepo Laulala, 19. Scott Barrett, 20. Matt Todd, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Richie Mo'unga, 23. Anton Lienert-Brown

Coupla milestones in there with ASmith overtaking JMarshall as our most-capped 9 & the Lurch-SWhitelock combo making their 50th start together (RBrooke & I Jones made 46 plus one or the other came off the bench on three other occasions).

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...l-blacks-make-just-one-change-for-dublin-test

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...m-whitelock-about-to-crack-50-starts-together

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
oh man, so awesome, I love that thing.

Wow penalty magnet Crockett still alltime #1 at 66 and 3. Have to wonder though, of his 70 odd tests, how many he's played even a whole half of

First Aussie Eales at 77.9%. W66 L18 still sounds great. But so many AB's with freakish 48 and 4 type numbers you end up just taking them for granted

Status
Not open for further replies.