• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm pretty much with Dan54 on this one: had the try not been reviewed, or reviewed & allowed to stand, it wouldn't have bothered me too much & if we'd lost I'd be pointing the finger at Beaugan & others for kicking way too much & too inaccurately for that first 30-odd minutes.

BUT..

There was a really good screen-grab on The Breakdown last night & it was fairly obvious that the Ringinland backs were "flat" at best & Lawes had a decent head-start on them even before the ruck lurched forward as TJP was in the act of picking the ball up.

As I've noted above in reply to Quick Hands, WR (World Rugby) have said the protocols were followed; Garces had cause to take Jonkers advice (Garces being barely able to see the screen); and, most importantly, that the correct decision was made.

EDIT: this isn't the screen-grab I'm talking about but it's pretty close:

View attachment 10353

The ball is clearly out of the ruck in that screen shot.

Don't know who put the red line there, but the offside line at a ruck is the hindmost foot of the England team in the ruck, as opposed to a pile of bodies lying on the ground.

IIRC the scrum half had the ball in his hands in that very position for a little bit of time - you'll note that he already has clear possession of the ball and is looking at the defensive line, and most importantly the ball is well and truly clear of the ruck and thus out and able to be played by anyone.

I've yet to see any evidence that the player was offside at all, let alone "clear and obvious" needed to change a decision. Clear and obvious implies to me that one replay would all that would be required because the original decision was so obviously wrong, but we saw the TMO view the incident in ultra slow motion time after time before making a decision. Why replay it so often if it's "clear and obvious"? The only logical reason for repeated replays is not being sure, and with every replay surely the degree of doubt increases.

Get the TMO out of these type of calls. Garces might not have been able to see the screen, but have a look at where he is standing and where he is looking. If he can't tell from there whether White 20 is offside or onside then he shouldn't be refereeing. I would be happy to live with Garces calling him offside right there and then, and happy for it to be play on and an England try. At best it's a 50/50 call. What I don't like is play being allowed to go on, and all the spectator emotion that comes with a tight finish to be interfered with by the TMO.

But let's agree to disagree.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
..... had to have a look at the other end too. the 20% winning percentages. All Italians. Weird to see a few top Argies like Lobbe and Lavanini slinking down the %'s due to getting touched up in the Rugby Championship every year.

"Worst" AB? Beegee Williams at 23 and 12 for 64%

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
More importantly, I'm looking forward to NZ v Ireland this week. Let's hope for another great game of test match rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
IRELAND: Rob Kearney, Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale, Jonathan Sexton, Kieran Marmion; CJ Stander, Dan Leavy, Peter O'Mahony, James Ryan, Devin Toner, Tadhg Furlong, Rory Best (captain), Cian Healy. Reserves: Sean Cronin, Jack McGrath, Andrew Porter, Iain Henderson, Josh van der Flier, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Jordan Larmour.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ke-three-changes-for-showdown-with-all-blacks

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant Referees: Mathieu Raynal (France), Marius Mitrea (Italy)
TMO: Rowan Kit (England)

The usual bs article about Barnes' appointment:

"The All Blacks fans' memories are a little longer and many refuse to forgive or forget Barnes."

Really? I know an AB fan or three & no-one giv sca shit about what happened 11years ago.

But wait there's a twist as Oirland are only 5/14 with him as ref, incl the time he Red-carded their 8 in New Plymouth last time they toured here:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...es-ireland-as-much-as-he-does-all-blacks-fans

Odd how these kind of articles never seem to have a by-line.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That's not a bad Ireland team at all. They got a bloody good scrum etc, so I suspect the loose ball battle is going to be REAL important.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
IRELAND: Rob Kearney, Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale, Jonathan Sexton, Kieran Marmion; CJ Stander, Dan Leavy, Peter O'Mahony, James Ryan, Devin Toner, Tadhg Furlong, Rory Best (captain), Cian Healy. Reserves: Sean Cronin, Jack McGrath, Andrew Porter, Iain Henderson, Josh van der Flier, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Jordan Larmour.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ke-three-changes-for-showdown-with-all-blacks

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant Referees: Mathieu Raynal (France), Marius Mitrea (Italy)
TMO: Rowan Kit (England)

The usual bs article about Barnes' appointment:

"The All Blacks fans' memories are a little longer and many refuse to forgive or forget Barnes."

Really? I know an AB fan or three & no-one giv sca shit about what happened 11years ago.

But wait there's a twist as Oirland are only 5/14 with him as ref, incl the time he Red-carded their 8 in New Plymouth last time they toured here:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...es-ireland-as-much-as-he-does-all-blacks-fans

Odd how these kind of articles never seem to have a by-line.

Barnes is the best in the world at the moment.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
In the period since first being ref'd by Barnes (RWC 2007) Oirland are 72/125 (~58%) without him as ref & 5/14 (~35%) with him as ref.

I've also been doing a highly unscientific survey of collegues & customers re: Barnes & have yet to have anyone mention Cardiff.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Without the soul searching and shake up that occurred after Cardiff, would the All Blacks have won the next 2 World Cups? I think NZ rugby owes Wayne Barnes a lot.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Barnes is the best in the world at the moment.

Think it hard to argue with that QH, Barnes, Owens, and perhaps Gus seem to be up around the top, mind you I think there are a lot more real good refs than rugby boredies give credit too. I actually don't think a lot of people really understand the laws of rugby, and so well you know if he treats my team well he's pretty good!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
At the risk of being Captain Obvious we can't afford to give Oirland the head start we gave Ringinland last week, or Sethfricka in Wellywood & Pretoria.

What I'm looking for Sunday morning is 30-odd minutes of CruSadists-style grind: make your exits, play it at their end & make them try to carry it back 2-3 metres at a time.

Sure, if they happen to drop it cold or there's a breakdown turnover then by all means have a crack but leave the fancy pants shit for the last 30 & FFS take each & every three on offer.

(Nek minnit Beaugan kick-passes to Reiko inside his 22 with 0:07 gone & he scores under the bar :))

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think it hard to argue with that QH, Barnes, Owens, and perhaps Gus seem to be up around the top, mind you I think there are a lot more real good refs than rugby boredies give credit too.

Barnes is always calm and unflustered and speaks to the players calmly and respectfully. I' sure he makes the odd mistake, but they're few and far between and generally 50/50 calls or he's obscured. Not a show pony like Nigel.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
A rare loss for the NZ women:

France 30 (Julie Duval, Maelle Filopon, Romane Menager, Caroline Drouin tries; Drouin 2 con, 2 pen) Black Ferns 27 (Stacey Waaka, Fiao'o Faamausili, Selica Winiata tries; Kendra Cocksedge 3 con, 2 pen) HT: 19-14

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/b...ns-17month-unbeaten-streak-as-series-is-drawn

Caught some of the second half on replay & French women looked to be playing like their men used to!

Maori AB v Chile starts at same time as AB v Ireland which is a little disappointing. As you'd expect there's a coupla newbies in the MAB:

http://www.allblacks.com/News/33448/maori-all-blacks-named-to-face-chile

zer0

John Thornett (49)
What a sh*t show that was.

> Picks two running play makers
> Kicks the ball away at just about every opportunity
> Has about 4% possession
> Leaves the best turnover producer on the bench for 75 minutes
> Loose forward captain is having a meh game
> Pulls the best loose forward instead
> Has the best defensive lineout in the world
> Doesn't use it until the final few mintues

Yeah. Real coaching GOAT stuff there, Jabba. About the only good substitution he made was enforced by the anonymous Squire's injury.

In saying all that, I actually enjoyed that test much more than the England one.

EDIT: On the plus side, Schmidt will now, surely, be the AB's post-2019 coach, and Ireland might well have NY Jet-ed themselves.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Superb game won by the better team....Ireland's discipline, workrate and defence were just superb. I agree with Hansen that rankings mean nothing as anyone kiwi thinking the All Blacks after the game against England and now Ireland are the clear number one team in the world are kidding themselves. On that performance Ireland certainly have the bragging rights leading into next years World Cup.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What a sh*t show that was.

> Picks two running play makers

> Kicks the ball away at just about every opportunity

> Has about 4% possession

> Leaves the best turnover producer on the bench for 75 minutes

> Loose forward captain is having a meh game

> Pulls the best loose forward instead

> Has the best defensive lineout in the world

> Doesn't use it until the final few mintues

Yeah. Real coaching GOAT stuff there, Jabba. About the only good substitution he made was enforced by the anonymous Squire's injury.

In saying all that, I actually enjoyed that test much more than the England one.

Mate not a shit show as best drilled game I have seen from any team this year by Ireland....fact......

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I was referring to the AB's, not Ireland, who, once again, just did what they do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.