• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Argentina, 17th July, 2015, AMI stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Agreed. Mauls just seem like a low risk high probability chance of scoring.
Some help needs to be given to the defensive side.

I would allow pulling it down within the 10m line.

G

galumay

AB'S looked good, bonus point as expected. Still looks to be daylight between them and the rest of the teams. they will be happy with that start to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shag will empty the bench shortly & things will get a bit shapeless. Still AB by 20ish, tho.
Didn't expect Hanson to run the bench on so early but i guess the match was won. It's a challenge for coaches to balance the need to see different combinations against the need to build combinations.

And WOB, please try to be more accurate when you're tipping the margin, that was just sloppy :)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone pick up what Richie was penalised for in the scrum just about at the end there?

I had the TV on mute and the description given on screen was "Kicking the ball out of the scrum" which seems very odd.

Joubert seemed to have a few strange interpretations.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agreed. Mauls just seem like a low risk high probability chance of scoring.
Some help needs to be given to the defensive side.

I would allow pulling it down within the 10m line.

Needs to be very strict on the attackers, defenders have to come back around if they swim to the side, so should the attackers.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone pick up what Richie was penalised for in the scrum just about at the end there?

I had the TV on mute and the description given on screen was "Kicking the ball out of the scrum" which seems very odd.

Joubert seemed to have a few strange interpretations.
Well I'd have penalised him for not being bound, but when the scrum disintegrates players get a fair bit of leeway. But, yes, that seems an unusual description. Perhaps a referee will pop in and provide some insight.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not to bad I thought. Maybe didn't answer too many selection quandaries, as I thought Dagg, Piutau and Naholo all went well, SBW went pretty well as well so a few unlucky players coming up when WC named. Gotta say Kevvie probably did enough to stay in squad, Laulala looks like he could put some pressure on to get a spot as well. TJP certainly would of calmed a lot of nerves re A Smith getting injured.

G

galumay

ABs scored one, if you count that as a maul. Otherwise it's 2/2, doesn't change the point

Oh, ok. Wasnt a maul though. Agreed it doenst change the point, which is that if its executed as well as the Argies did, (and defended as poorly as the AB's did) - it will score points.

Like any strategy in the game it needs accuracy and skill to implement, if it were as easy as you are suggesting wouldnt all tries be scored by mauls? Why would you bother trying to use a harder method to score!?

Seriously though, I dont disagree that the rules need to be applied, and applied consistently. That doesnt appear to be happening, despite the discussions about doing so for the WC.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Well I'd have penalised him for not being bound, but when the scrum disintegrates players get a fair bit of leeway. But, yes, that seems an unusual description. Perhaps a referee will pop in and provide some insight.
Had a quick look at the law book and there's a law against anyone but the front rowers playing the ball in the tunnel (20.9 f).

Might have been that?

Anyway thought it was really good to see the Argies respect the scrum enough to keep it up even as they were being pushed off their own feed. Not many teams are prepared to do that.

That AB scrum is a scary sight for a Wallabies fan though

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thoughts on Argies' 2nd try from a maul resulting from a lineout win using an outside arm only?

Seems Joubert didn't pick that up!

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thoughts on Argies' 2nd try from a maul resulting from a lineout win using an outside arm only?

I see that quite alot in professional games and never seen it pinged.
I guess it is something they have a silent agreenment to let go if it doesnt affect the play

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)

It was also a fairly clear case of the 'changing lanes' that got called a few times Super Rugby - the pod that broke off wasn't in contact with any defender when they separated from the back of the maul, which means it's obstruction.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Something has to change, mauls are too powerful.

I reckon every try from a maul should be referred upstairs to check if anyone joined in front, changing lanes etc. The attacking side gets a real advantage by being able to get the ball to the back where it can't be contested, the refs should make sure they don't infringe on top of that advantage.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I reckon Dagg has had a good game, whether it's enough is another thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing to remember is that Dagg's not really competing against Smith, he's competing against Piutau, Naholo, Jane etc. If Dagg is playing competently, they'll put him at the back and play Smith on the wing (where he's just as good). I thought Dagg was excellent tonight. Naholo was good for a guy on debut, dropped a few but made some good runs. Piutau was ok, when the ball came his way but overall Dagg shaded him.

Status
Not open for further replies.