• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Poms - 3rd test

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Conrad Smith out for a month with a fractured thumb.

Malakai Fekitoa to probably get the start. Should be an interesting match-up against Tuilagi.

I am hoping Barrett gets the start.
Unsure if they will give Read another week to rest an possibly move Jerome Kaino to 6.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Conrad Smith out for a month with a fractured thumb.

Malakai Fekitoa to probably get the start. Should be an interesting match-up against Tuilagi.

I am hoping Barrett gets the start.
Unsure if they will give Read another week to rest an possibly move Jerome Kaino to 6.

Conrad Smith's injury makes things interesting.

I doubt Tuilagi will move back to 13, Burell at 13 and him on wing worked well for England. I think their problem lays further in at 12.

It would be insane not to start Barret, not even Cruden's staunchest supporter would argue he's better enough than Barret to bar him from even getting a crack at the starting jersey.

M

Muttonbird

Listening to Steve Hansen on the radio, I think Crotty will start. He was talking about Crotty having been there before and that they were undecided about Fekitoa being ready to start, of which came into the decision. Didn't want to let England know though.

I don't think Read will play.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Conrad Smith's injury makes things interesting.

I doubt Tuilagi will move back to 13, Burell at 13 and him on wing worked well for England. I think their problem lays further in at 12.

It would be insane not to start Barret, not even Cruden's staunchest supporter would argue he's better enough than Barret to bar him from even getting a crack at the starting jersey.

Disagree. Burrell was totally outplayed in the 2nd test and Tuilagi was far more damaging playing at center in the first test.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, so our longest winning streak is 17 from 3rd Test v SA 1965 to 2nd v Wales 1969 (for some reason I've long had it in my head that it was 19) & we've now got to 16 for the 3rd time since, previous runs being ended in HK 2010 & Twickenham 2012. Meaning that IF we beat the Poms on Saturday we go level with ourselves & Mallett's late-90's 'boks; & IF WE THEN best the Wobblies in Bledisloe1 the record for most consecutive Test wins for a Tier 1 nation will have been secured & we can go after the all comers record which I believe is currently 30-odd by Cyprus.

Conrad will be a huge loss as much for his organisation of the D as what he brings as a player. Non'u for all his strengths just isn't an organiser & Crotty or Fekitoa will have very big shoes to fill, my guess is it'll be Crotty as Fekitoa's a bit of a Non'u-in-progress IMO.

Shag has promised that KR will start, in which case Kaino to 6. Scrum went better on Saturday, may have even been dominant a coupla times, so gotta give Woody & Franks the start & trust they can back it up. Jane had a shocking 1st half but was better in e 2nd (& Tbh couldn't have been worse) so also worth giving another start.

Bogan, though, absolutely MUST start. Cruden for mine just didn't mix it up enough when the Poms were up in our back line: no chips, no grubbers, no darts, just shovelled it on & put his outsides under more pressure than necessary. IMO had the Poms stuck with the umbrella D of the 1st half they'd likely have won, still don't understand why they abandoned it at HT.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
England are painfully learning what Aus has long known as a basis for their repetitive losing in NZ: the ABs are better at exploiting England's errors than England are at finishing off their own opportunities. It's the ancient rule.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bogan, though, absolutely MUST start. Cruden for mine just didn't mix it up enough when the Poms were up in our back line: no chips, no grubbers, no darts, just shovelled it on & put his outsides under more pressure than necessary. IMO had the Poms stuck with the umbrella D of the 1st half they'd likely have won, still don't understand why they abandoned it at HT.

Geez and you thought Barrett went better than Cruden when he came on, I think Cruden was alright, and as our forwards got their act together he was running it nicely, we were well on top when Beauden came on. Not sure which one should start, just not sure that Cruden isn't copping the wrong end of the stick from a few people.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any inside info on the Crusaders v England match this afternoon?

Team lists found there: http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/match/208051.html

Looks like England has had brought over a large squad to NZ

Well the Saders have never played that midfield combination before. Tom Taylor at fullback doesn't fill me with great confidence, he's not a counter attacking player. He's a very good 2nd 5 that is adept at playing 1st 5. He's not a 1st5/fullback type.

Plenty of toil in the back and front rows. Tupou has been getting game time off the bench and Everson is an ITM Cup player for Canterbury who gets his real first big game today.

The met service says its a balmy 13 degrees in Christchurch today

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geez and you thought Barrett went better than Cruden when he came on, I think Cruden was alright, and as our forwards got their act together he was running it nicely, we were well on top when Beauden came on. Not sure which one should start, just not sure that Cruden isn't copping the wrong end of the stick from a few people.

If both were 100% I'd start Cruden but he's clearly still finding his way back to full fitness & IMO it's shown in both games to date. Assuming the Poms at least start with the in-your-face umbrella D (again, can't understand why they went away from it as it was working well for them) I'd like to see us try a few things such as the afore-mentioned chips, grubbers & darts, things that Cruden doesn't seem to have the confidence to try just yet when the D is as flat (offside) as it's been. And in that scenario Bogan likely has a so-so 50-60 min shift & Cruden gets to shine in the final 20-30.

@Nusudan they brought 30 initially & 16 after the Aviva final, not sure how many they've lost to injury other than Farrell but they'd have had up to 45 to choose from today.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Understand where you coming from Waiopehu, but suspect with Conrad out they may just stick with Cruden. I maybe wrong (I was once, but that wasn't my fault anyway), just have an inkling that the Zoo still don't see Barrett as starter, especially with an no Conrad out a bit wider, but am comfortable with whoever they select. Hell wouldn't overly worry me if Slade got a look in!!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
England looked good against the Crusaders. I know, I know before all manner of people jump down my throat saying "it wasn't a full strength crusaders team" etc etc, but you can only play what's in front of you and the England squaddies looked strong, entertaining and full of skill.

They really are a bloody good team and Lancaster has done quite an amazing job getting the squad up to speed and not only playing good rugby but looking like they are enjoying good rugby. Hats off to Lancaster.

Regardless of what happens this weekend, I think they have done something which a lot of teams struggle to do - earned the respect of the NZ rugby public and media. They really are a genuine world cup contender, if not favourite.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
According to the sky rugby programme from last night, Fekitoa has been doing most of the running at 13 at training, perhaps the Zoo will drop him in deep end??

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England have a big decision to make in the locks. Do they bring in Lawes and drop Parling back to the bench who has been super impressive? Just quietly what about their lock depth? Scary stuff, they have Launchbury, Lawes, Parling, Attwood and Slater. Hopefully they put out a team similar to this

1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Wilson
4. Lawes
5. Launchbury
6. Wood
7. Robshaw
8. Vunipola
9. Care
10. Cipriani
11. Yarde
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Brown

16. Webber
17. Mullan
18. Thomas
19. Parling
20. Morganhttp://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/player/27763.html
21. Youngs
22. Twelvetrees
23. Foden

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kieran's back!!!

ALL BLACKS: Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Malakai Fekitoa, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Liam Messam, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Ryan Crotty.

England side will be named later today.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Kieran's back!!!

ALL BLACKS: Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Malakai Fekitoa, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Liam Messam, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Ryan Crotty.

England side will be named later today.

Like the look of this team, albeit predictable. Congrats to Fekitoa for his first test start. Hopefully he will neutralise any possible return to the centres from Tuilagi. Read's back-woohoo! Hard on Messam, but no shame in coming off the bench (same for Crotty).

Status
Not open for further replies.