• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke @ Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm glad you asked. Most people will know that Kiwis are a normal, friendly bunch in most circumstances but change into unspeakable arse-holes when the conversation turns to rugby. This is because an All Black loss to a Kiwi is a feeling worse than than kick square in the nuts.

The mood of the nation changes significantly, and to a Kiwi an ABs' loss can make the future can look bleaker than a nuclear winter, so what would happen if a general election were held seven days after such a loss as is the case with this match?

Carnage for the government, that's what.

All rational thought will be thrown out the door and the NZ public will turn on and punish whoever is in charge at the time.
Didnt the same thing caused that fantastic Bok tour to NZ in 1981? National Party?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yes but by all accounts Meyer sees him as his no 2 jumper.
he got this right. Etsebet is fantastic in nr2, poached many balls. I think we'll probably see the best from the old age homers this weekend. They need motivation and Jean playing in his 100th plus All Blacks away, cant get better then this as a challenge.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, SA would be much better on dry track. New Zealand's handling is better and would be less affected by the wet weather and their back three are better chasing and handling kicks.

Best shot is dry track where we can carry the ball up with our forwards against a NZ missing a couple of locks and blindsides.

You cannot be serious. On a dry night in Perth the Wobs would've put 20 on your blokes, on a dry night in Wellington you're in for a hiding.

Reactions: BDA

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You cannot be serious. On a dry night in Perth the Wobs would've put 20 on your blokes, on a dry night in Wellington you're in for a hiding.
weather.JPG

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yeah, seen that but I've lived there & let me tell ya, trying to predict the wet day between two dryish ones ain't easy. Just as likely to piss down Friday & be good as gold Saturday, or be good as gold Saturday & piss down Sunday.

Also Westpac isn't Athletic Park (thank God) so for it to be really, really wet it'd have to be something approaching AB v Wobs 1996 material. Always possible, of course, but I'd suggest conditions are likely to be closer to Eden Park 3 weeks ago than McLean Park 3 days ago.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bokke are pretty useless at the moment. Wallabies by 50. easily, can get worse.

Etsebet is a good line out option. Expect him to poach many at 2.

Still Wallabies by 50.

Boet, don't these posts go some way to explaining why @Waiopehu Oldboy thinks that the Bokke will be beaten by many points this weekend?

Or was cagey old Oom up to his old tricks again with his predictions of doom in Perth? ;)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt the weather makes that much of a difference.

For the Boks, i just think if they are going to play the simple 2007 game plan (which they are traditionally great at) they have to do it better than they currently are. The game plan requires them to dominate the physicality and more pressure in defence. Last week the wallabies pack seemed to handle the physicality pretty well, that should be a sign that they are not at the level they want to be at.

Getting rid of Matfield might be a good start. They'll have a strong line-out without him. Bring back BDP too for god sake.

EDIT: personally I'd like to see Meyer tweak the game plan a bit and mix it up

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Please explain this?

Wobs kept you in the game with poor execution of the basics, some of which was due to the conditions. Wouldn't have happened to the same extent in dry conditions. Same goes in Wellington: if it's wet AB may try to still play dry weather footy as they did in Sydney & with similar results execution-wise. Or they'll play wet weather footy which almost always means a tight game. Either leaves them vulnerable to, say, an 80m Hendriks or Habana special & Morne's boot.

I dont think it'll be anywhere near 50, but given fair to middling conditions you're in for a sound beating, somewhere in the order of 15+.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally don't think either team has advantage re weather. Both teams are carrying enough experienced players to adapt to whatever conditions they get I think. Regardless of weather teams have to do basics right, and with balls etc players get these days they should be pretty capable of donig it. Only difference is if ground a little slippery, but geez players should use brains and change boots accordingly.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Guess who didn't see the Bulls' transformation from 0 wins in 2002 to first SA Super rugby winners in 2007. Even 2009 and 2010 was still built on his foundations.
Dewald, if we keep kicking the ball away we will never be able to beat the AB's. Go back to the Aus game and count how many kicks were effective. The AB's will punish us more than the Wobs did.
Add to that we are not as dominant in the forwards as we have been and it starts to look bleak.
If it was not for individuals in the team who are able to create scoring opportunities from nothing we would be at the bottom of the ladder.
That said I know we will be fired up for this game because in any game against the AB's we always lift, but I cant see it being enough to get us over the line.

M

Muttonbird

Didnt the same thing caused that fantastic Bok tour to NZ in 1981? National Party?

Yep PB. National won the 1981 election in late November (3rd test was mid September) with a majority of one. This year's election was called early and right in the middle of the Rugby Championship, for reasons unknown.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Redsman, this is the one I like. Its a pity we have to go back to the black and white days (I will leave the puns alone in that statement)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep PB. National won the 1981 election in late November (3rd test was mid September) with a majority of one. This year's election was called early and right in the middle of the Rugby Championship, for reasons unknown.

There's no games next week though, so election will have clear air.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Redsman, this is the one I like. Its a pity we have to go back to the black and white days (I will leave the puns alone in that statement)

That is a fantastic legitimate tackle, unlike the illegal forearm (armguard) smash to Kelleher's temple in the other video by Matfield. That was pure thuggery.

Meyer on Pollard - ''He's a different type of player, but you have to do something different if you want to beat New Zealand. We want to evolve and play some attractive rugby so hopefully it's a dry field and we can play some attacking rugby.''

Bismarck will be a great impact player.

Springboks – 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Marcel van der Merwe, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Warren Whiteley, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Damian de Allende

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the ABs lose the 'mood of the electorate' will go something like this:

No Carter, no Kaino, no Whitelock, no Messam, ABs were missing grunt; Sure there will be the regular talk back stuff, but then come Sunday afternoon people will get over it as they think that we haven't been going to bad of late

If we lose, Hansen's record will be played 35, won 31, lost 2. Not sure that's the sort of record in the modern game that an incumbent NZ Government would be worrying about unsetlling the masses....

Status
Not open for further replies.