• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

And to Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok so a depleted Wales?
15 Mitchell
14 Turner
13 Mortlock
12 Gits
11 Lote (or Digby)
10 Cooper
9 Cords
8 Palu
7 Pocock
6 Mumm
5 MMM
4 Sharpe
3 Dunning
2 Moore
1 Kepu

16 TPN
17 Alexander
18 Chis (Kimlin?)
19 Waugh
20 Sheehan
21 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Cross
22 O'Connor

R

rugbywhisperer

1 Kepu
2 Moore
3 Baxter
4 Sharpe
5 MMM
6 Mumm
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Cordingly (Burgess to rehab)
10 Cooper
11 Digby (another good solid game - must be rewarded - no need for Lote - we have new boys ready to take it up)
12 Gits
13 Mortlock
14 Hynes (great game against France)
15 Mitchell (where he should be)

16 TPN
17 Alexander
18 Kimlin
19 Waugh
20 Sheehan
21 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Cross
22 O'Connor (must get game time)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is Robinson injured (must have missed this news) otherwise he must play? Also Smith at 7 (why would you drop him?) , maybe Chisolm at 5 but otherwise agree with RWs side pretty much. I would give O'Connor game time IF we've won it already. No need to get the 18 year old on just cos he's there. I want a win.

R

rugbywhisperer

I thought Smith was ineffectual today. You are right about O'Connor but I would really like to see what he can do.
Reminds me of the EOYT way back about 1974/5 when Bob templeton was coach and poor old Mick Mathers only got the one game all tour - and it was a big EOYT.
Once the game is looking safe and early in the second half - get O'Connor on. I think he will go well against the Welsh.

S

Spook

I thought Smith was really good but anyway...

For Wales, I'd play:

15. Mitchell
14. Hynes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Mortlock
11. Ioane
10. Gits
9. Cordingly
8. 3M
7. Smith
6. Mumm
5. Sharpe
4. Chisolm
3. Baxter
2. Moore
1. Robinson

16. TPN
17. Dunning
18. Palu
19. Pocock
20. Burgess
21. Cooper
22. Tuquiri (Turner if injured)

I think Palu is a genuine impact player.

I'm still tempted to try Cooper at 10 as well with Gits to 12. Morty to 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 11 and Ioane to the bench. Gits is bloody dangerous out wide with big Morty running on his shoulder.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Smith was nowhere near his usual standard - not much support from his forwards against a French pack playing generall good blanket rugby. Interesting move having MMM at 8 - something I'd considered too but decided to stick with Cliff for now to give him a workout :)

I'd make a couple of changes in the pack to freshen legs but that backline looked alright:

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Baxter
4 Sharpe
5 Chisholm
6 Mumm
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Giteau
11 Ioane
12 Mortlock
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Hynes
15 Mitchell

16 TPN
17 Dunning
18 MMM
19 Smith
20 Cordingley
21 Cooper
22 Turner

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
Smith was nowhere near his usual standard - not much support from his forwards against a French pack playing generall good blanket rugby. Interesting move having MMM at 8 - something I'd considered too but decided to stick with Cliff for now to give him a workout :)

I'd make a couple of changes in the pack to freshen legs but that backline looked alright:

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Baxter
4 Sharpe
5 Chisholm
6 Mumm
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Giteau
11 Ioane
12 Mortlock
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Hynes
15 Mitchell

16 TPN
17 Dunning
18 MMM
19 Smith
20 Cordingley
21 Cooper
22 Turner

Exactly. How much better did AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) look at 13 than 15? Makes Cross look a bit pedestrian. Liked the wing combo too.

T

TOCC

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Sharpe
5. Chisolm
6. McMenimen
7. Pocock
8. Brown
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Gits
13. Mortlock
14. Hynes
15. Mitchell

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Sharpe
5. Chisolm
6. Mumm
7. Smith
8. Brown
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Gits
13. Mortlock
14. Hynes
15. Mitchell

We should have learnt from today that MMM still cant lock a scrum. Burgess will play for Oz again, Cords wont. We need to give Burgess game time. Palu is only ready for impact play. Ioane deserves his start. If he starts with Cooper play Morty at 13. If not, play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Morty at 12. Please give up the kicking game.

Baxter probably wont start again (he played the full game against the French I think), but he is still our best 3.

Its lucky the Welsh will be weakened because they would be a good chance of turning us over otherwise.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't wait to see Ioane get the ball in some space, his turn of pace is electric, and he keeps his feet well. The only way we are going to see the likes of him and Mitchell get some space is by having Cooper at 10 and Gits at 12.

Baxter deserves a rest so Dunning should come in. Moore also deserves a rest, but that is too risky against Wales. Pocock to get his first start ahead of Smith. I'd give Stirling a rest too and hand the captaincy to Sharpe. We don't lose much with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there. Mitchell is clearly the better option at fullback.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Dunning
4. Chisholm
5. Sharpe
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
13. Ashley Cooper
14. Hynes
15. Mitchell

Kepu, TPN, MMM, Smith, Coordingly, Mortlock, Tuqiri

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm with most of you on starting Pocock this weekend, why are Wales weakend for this match, are most back on club duty??

15.Mitchell
14.Hynes
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12.Mortlock
11.Ioane
10.Giteau
9.Burgess
8.Brown (If fit)
7.Pocock
6.MMM
5.Kimlin
4.Chisolm
3.Baxter
2.Moore
1.Robinson

16.TPN 17.Dunning 18.Mumm 19.Palu 20.Cords 21.Cooper 22.Cross

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought Lote was on the bench against Italy.

Disco have you deliberately left Sharpe out of the 22 to start a rookie that has never played a test match and hasnt played a game at all for probably close to 3 months?

S

Spook

Cutter said:

Disco have you deliberately left Sharpe out of the 22 to start a rookie that has never played a test match and hasnt played a game at all for probably close to 3 months?

Same can be said for Pocock.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Spook said:
Cutter said:

Pocock has been in the matchday 22 of every test so far, hasn't been carrying an injury and got game time against both Italy and the Poms, so not really.

I think it's time he gets a start.

T

TOCC

Cutter said:

Tuqiri wasnt on the bench for Italy, the back reserves were Giteau, Cooper and O'Connor

I think he was on the bench for the French match after Cross was ruled out, but thats because O'Connor is also carrying a groin injury and there arent any other backs left in the squad.

I think Tuqiri can play if they really need him to, but he still has a niggling injury and they would rather him not play

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There might also be the possibility that they are not playing Tuqiri for mental rather than physical reason. See how frustrated and fired up they can get him to want to work hard and gain his place again next year.

R

rugbywhisperer

I think Deans realises where the future is.
I do not believe Lote will be there come next RWC and if I were coaching I would be developing the younger players.
The growth in maturity and ability of Hynes on this tour is astounding, Digby has also developed and I wouldn't bother with someone who wasn't going to be in the mix in years to come - ala Dunning.
Avoid the 'Gregan protocol' wherever and whenever possible.

S

Spook

Grandmaster Flash said:
Spook said:
Cutter said:

Pocock has been in the matchday 22 of every test so far, hasn't been carrying an injury and got game time against both Italy and the Poms, so not really.

I think it's time he gets a start.

Sorry it is the same. Pocock hasn't started a test and hasn't played a game for 3 months or more even. Deans will play him if he's ready and not beforehand. If he's ready it'll be great for Oz. Pocock is going to be world class.

Status
Not open for further replies.