• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

And to Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
NTA said:
Smith was nowhere near his usual standard - not much support from his forwards against a French pack playing generall good blanket rugby. Interesting move having MMM at 8 - something I'd considered too but decided to stick with Cliff for now to give him a workout :)

I'd make a couple of changes in the pack to freshen legs but that backline looked alright:

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Baxter
4 Sharpe
5 Chisholm
6 Mumm
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Giteau
11 Ioane
12 Mortlock
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Hynes
15 Mitchell

16 TPN
17 Dunning
18 MMM
19 Smith
20 Cordingley
21 Cooper
22 Turner

That's the one, except Smith to start, Pocock to run on for exactly the reasons Spook just said.

There's still a chance at a clean sweep in Europe and Wales proved they could play a damn good half of footy on the weekend. There shouldn't be any gambles on young guns - Cooper, O'Connor, Pocock.

Re-learning how to win far more important than game time for greenhorns on this tour.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think having Smith there on the bench gives us a good backup and a chance for Smith to dominate in the second half after Pocock is let off the chain for 40-50 minutes. This game is outside the international window so the Welsh won't have a few top-liners by the looks of things. I shudder to think what the ABs are going to do to England for the same reasons...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Smith was fine, he was hamstrung at the scrum because the French were so dominant. (1/4 turns kept him away from the ball)

The side will be the same as it has been barring injury and the usual rotation of forwards.

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Dunning
4 Sharpe
5 Chisholm
6 Mumm
7 Smith
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Giteau
11 Mitchel
12 Mortlock
13 Cross
14 Hynes
15 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16 Nau
17 Baxter
18 MMM
19 Brown/Pocock
20 Cordingley
21 Cooper
22 Ioane

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
NTA said:
I think having Smith there on the bench gives us a good backup and a chance for Smith to dominate in the second half after Pocock is let off the chain for 40-50 minutes. This game is outside the international window so the Welsh won't have a few top-liners by the looks of things. I shudder to think what the ABs are going to do to England for the same reasons...

Here's from the guy who runs Wesh Rugby Blog on Welsh availability

Peel won't be able to make it because of club duties but the WRU have managed to negotiate Gareth Cooper being available. the worry was we would have neither of them and rely on a scrum half in his rookie season as a starter at regional level never mind international. everyone else in the squad is wales based so no major issues beyond Ian Evans being added to the growing list of injuries - all of which are from the Ospreys which is very disappointing for me!

should have a good side out though so hopefully will make it a good game

if you could arrange for Matt Giteau and Sharpe to catch man-flu that would be useful!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That's the one, except Smith to start, Pocock to run on for exactly the reasons Spook just said.

There's still a chance at a clean sweep in Europe and Wales proved they could play a damn good half of footy on the weekend. There shouldn't be any gambles on young guns - Cooper, O'Connor, Pocock.

Re-learning how to win far more important than game time for greenhorns on this tour.

I understand the sentiment regarding learning to win, but I don't think it is the be all and end all for this tour. Developing a strong squad with back-ups in each position and improving the style of play that Deans wants is just as important. I think we are kidding ourselves if we are believe that our mental fortitude won the game for us on the weekend anymore than the french lost the game for themselves.

If we have not improved our play from what we've seen over the last few weeks, and don't have a quality squad, then we will have the same result in the 3N next that we did this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans lets Burgess blunder pass

November 25, 2008
An expensive error in Paris won't cost NSW halfback his Wallabies spot, writes Greg Growden in Cardiff.

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans has stressed his confidence in Test halfback Luke Burgess, believing he has all the makings of a standout international player.

Burgess's own confidence has been hit by some costly mistakes on the northern hemisphere tour - none more so than a wild pass into the in-goal during the Test in Paris on Saturday night, which put the Wallabies under enormous pressure. The French scored through a penalty try just a minute later.

While Burgess's high skill level and willingness to seize the initiative have won him an abundance of supporters, the Waratahs No.9 has sometimes been caught short when making snipes from the breakdown, while his service from the scrumbase has occasionally put five-eighth Matt Giteau under pressure.

The pass to Giteau at the Stade de France looped nearly a metre above the pivot's head, and it was as if Burgess was handing out presents to the crowd. On another day, the mistake might even have cost the Wallabies the Test, since the ensuing penalty try - from a Wallabies scrum collapse - put France back in the match at 10-7. Thankfully for Burgess, he and his teammates rallied in the second half to record their first win on French soil in eight years.

As the Wallabies left Paris amid a snowstorm for Cardiff and Saturday's international against Wales, Deans said he was not concerned by Burgess's blemishes. The coach argued that they were just part of the learning curve for the youngster in his first season of Test football. "We have total confidence and faith in him, and we will continue to have," he said.

The coach said Burgess could have easily been rattled by his error, "but it was important that he wasn't. It wasn't distracting him." When questioned about the number of times Burgess has been caught close to the scrumbase, or been hindered by running into teammates, Deans said: "He needs guidance from outside.

"There's a lot going on. He's got a lot to deal with, and the greatest advantage is to have an idea in mind before you get your hands on the ball, because you don't get a lot of time and space.

"We've done a bit of work on that, and we will continue to. You will see him master that area. And I tell you what, when he does, he is going to pose some serious questions."

Burgess admitted there was no one to blame but himself for the wild pass. "There was a fair bit of pressure on that scrum, and I probably lacked composure," he said. "I dived out and I think [the ball] was too close to my body, and as I extended my arm ? well - no excuses."

Burgess, like his coach, insisted he had not been affected by the lapse. "I let it go straight away, because it is selfish if you worry about your own mistakes. If you make a mistake, you have to move on."

Deans also emphasised that, for the third Test running, the Wallabies had succeeded in rebounding after losing the lead, which showed that the self-belief and self-confidence of the tour squad was improving.

"It's just a reality of international rugby that it never totally goes all your own way," Deans said. "There are things which happen which aren't under your control that you have to deal with, cope with and keep going.

"So we are pretty pleased with their improvement, and I'm seeing a lot more of the elements we are looking for. We have just got to keep adding to them."

Deans is expected to play several fringe players against Wales, with Ryan Cross among those scheduled to return after being a late withdrawal from the French Test as he was suffering from a stomach virus on the day of the game.

S

Spook

If Deans thinks they are good enough then so be it. I just really want to win this but it's always exciting seeing young blokes come through.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
apparently both Palu and Brown are struggling.

Fringe players hey? Well I guess the team will be announced around Thursday, meaning we'll know who's in the team by reading tomorrow's paper.

R

rugbywhisperer

Robbie Deans is really starting to impress me.
Any other coach would have flicked any number of players by now but he is sticking by them through thick and thin and that is a wonderful thing to have - a coach that offers that level of support to developing players is a gift and he sees things that we mere mortals obviously don't.
Obviously the same courtesty is not extended toplayers he thinks are on the fringe or on the way out - Dunning for example and again I applaud his desicion to build and develop rather that go for more obvious outright win - which in liklihood will happen - but with developing players rather than player who won't be there in the medium to long term.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Deans is now in a position to pick two teams for the remaining games: his best team for Wales and the rest for the Baabaas on Tuesday Wednesday. The only criteria to be used to alter the selection of the best team is the need for rotation and rest. My best team is:

15. Mitchell
14. Hynes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Mortlock
11. Ioane
10. Giteau
9. Burgess
8. Palu
7. Smith
6. Mumm
5. Chisholm
4. Sharpe
3. Baxter
2. Moore
1. Robinson

Considering rest and rotation, I'd have this as my run on team against Wales.

15. Mitchell
14. Hynes
12. Mortlock
11. Ioane
10. Giteau
9. Burgess
8. Palu
7. Pocock
6. Mumm
5. Chisholm
4. Sharpe
3. Dunning
2. Freier
1. Robinson

For the Baabaas, I'd run on:

15. O'Connor (but only if he pulls his socks up)
14. Turner
12. Cross
11. Tuqiri (or Ioane)
10. Cooper
9. Cordingley
8. Brown
7. Waugh
6. MMM
5. Kimlin
4. Chisholm
3. Kepu
2. TPN
1. Alexander

Sheehan, Smith, Baxter and Moore to be reserves for both matches.

Fixed

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
have I missed something?
Did the rabbit do something we haven't heard of?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer,

good post. I hadn't realised the Baabaas was a midweeker.

That's exactly what he will do. Still the strongest v Wales and the dirt trackers v the baabaas.

Excellent. So its on Thursday morning, Ch 10 @ 6am.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Lindommer said:
Have I missed something? Did the rabbit do something we haven't heard of?

You looking for a metaphor, RW? I'll give it to you: Rabbit regularly does an Egerton.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Lindommer said:
Have I missed something? Did the rabbit do something we haven't heard of?
You looking for a metaphor, RW? I'll give it to you: Rabbit regularly does an Egerton.
Sorry, too long in Queensland away from the action. Oh how I miss the woods.
I am aware of Rob but what is an Egerton?

R

rugbywhisperer

Thwak, thump.
Oh I get it. Had to go through graphic memories of that snatched ball out of the AB wingers hands (Kirwin I believe).
Cheers

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Disco have you deliberately left Sharpe out of the 22 to start a rookie that has never played a test match and hasnt played a game at all for probably close to 3 months?

Cutter,
Not on purpose I just want to see Kimlin have a run & get a test cap.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Wallabies have revealed their blueprint for stopping Welsh wizard Shane Williams in Saturday's Test in Cardiff - and it's not rocket science.

The Wallabies' simple plan for the newly-crowned world player of the year is to "get in his face" according to Drew Mitchell, who opposed Williams in Australia's 24-22 loss to Wales at Millennium Stadium in 2005.

"He stood me up pretty clean," Mitchell recalled on Monday.

With Mitchell to play fullback this Saturday, Peter Hynes will have the unenviable task of marking the wing king this time around.

Williams has bagged 14 tries in his past 13 Tests, including six during Wales's march to this year's Six Nations title, and Mitchell admits stopping the 31-year-old flyer is no easy feat.

"It's just his footwork. It's not just his stepping. It's his acceleration out of the step," Mitchell said.

"So where some guys might beat you with the step initially and then don't quite accelerate out of it, then you can recover a little bit, there's just no time for recovery when you're opposing Shane and you don't quite read his footwork too well.

"That's one thing. But the other thing is that he's quite hard to tackle because he's such a small guy and he's actually quite strong as well.

"So unless you get a good shot on him, he's quite hard to bring down."

But the Wallabies hope the new defensive style coach Robbie Deans has introduced this season will work well enough to contain the elusive Williams.

"As a backline, defensively our policies have probably changed somewhat this season," Mitchell said.

"We're aligning from set piece and also from phase so that we've got that opportunity to try to close (the opposition attack) down.

"And I guess that's the key against a guy like Shane Williams, to not give him too much space and get in his face as soon as you can so that he doesn't get that opportunity to step too much.

"You're almost hitting him as he gets the ball."

Although he won't be directly marking Williams, Mitchell still has a key role to play in stopping him.

It involves good communication with Hynes, which shouldn't be too difficult given they have been playing together since their university days in Queensland.

"For us, when I was playing on the wing, it's just knowing and having the confidence that your fullback is going to get that last guy," Mitchell said.

"We're in a position now that we can take care of our man and know that the last man has been taken care of by the fullback.

"It's different to what we've been used to. At the start of the year, there were a few errors here and there because it wasn't second nature to us.

"But having played it for quite a while and trained it every day, it's becoming pretty familiar."

The one certain thing the Wallabies must avoid is showing Williams the sideline.

"I don't know that there are too many wingers in world rugby you'd want to show the sideline to too much," Mitchell said.

"Shane Williams, you've just got to get in his face as quickly as you can and hopefully you don't show him anything, let alone the sideline."

So Mitchell's at 15 and Hynes on one wing.

Apparently Cross is back so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) dumped or on the other wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.