• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Robbie ruling out Quade? Okay, he doesn't say exactlyyy that but it's not far off.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans appears set to overlook Quade Cooper for the upcoming British and Irish Lions series with James O'Connor favoured to play five-eighth.

Cooper still looks on the outer with Deans as the controversial playmaker will not be among a 30-man Wallabies squad to gather for a two-day administration camp in Sydney on Sunday.

Even with incumbent Kurtley Beale currently out of the picture due to his indefinite suspension over alcohol issues, Cooper will stay in Brisbane as other No.10 contenders meet with Deans and the rest of the extended squad.

While he upset Deans and teammates with claims of a toxic Wallabies environment last season, the 38-Test five-eighth's omission remains a surprise.

Former Test coach Eddie Jones last week rated Cooper's electric attacking game and X-factor as the best No.10 option to beat the Lions, while backline great Tim Horan has praised his recent form.

Earlier this season, Deans said Cooper would begin the year with a clean slate but also underlined he would select players who teammates could rely upon under pressure.

The 24-year-old endured a mixed start to 2013 but has bounced back into form with the Queensland Reds following the recent return of Wallabies halfback Will Genia from his knee reconstruction.

Cooper confirmed to AAP on Wednesday he wasn't invited to the Sydney camp but was unfazed by the omission and focused on continuing his positive progress with the Reds.

He isn't the only regular Wallabies player to miss the last of three logistics camps held during the Super Rugby season as Melbourne Rebels halfback Nick Phipps has been usurped by Brumbies No.9 Nic White as Genia's back-up.

With Beale currently out of the picture and injury-plagued Waratah Berrick Barnes sidelined, O'Connor appears set to regain the No.10 jersey he wore with distinction in the 2011 end-of-year tour.

Uncapped Brumbies playmaker Christian Lealiifano is seen as the next cab off the rank but he has played the bulk of 2013 at inside centre.

Despite the NSW Waratahs' rocky start to 2013, they will still boast most of the players - including a full forward pack - currently among the country's top 30.

Deans will name his initial 25-man squad for the three-Test Lions series on June 2, while five more will be added following the next weekend's round of Super Rugby matches.

Cooper and others outside the current 30 can work their way into Test squad over the next eight rounds of Super Rugby, and he has a prime chance to show his worth on Saturday against the defending champion Chiefs.

Reds mentor Ewen McKenzie's decision to position Cooper at fullback in defence has not helped his Wallabies' cause but the coach has stressed it's best for the Reds' kick-return attack, rather than an indictment on his tackling.

"People say he's been up and down. I think he's been getting better every week," McKenzie said on Wednesday morning.

"I think he's been more mature this year. There's no doubt the partnership he's got with Will is a great partnership and you get confidence out of that."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...-out-of-wallabies-picture-20130410-2hl57.html

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Quade out!
WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans appears set to overlook Quade Cooper for the upcoming British and Irish Lions series with James O'Connor favoured to play five-eighth.
Cooper still looks on the outer with Deans as the controversial playmaker will not be among a 30-man Wallabies squad to gather for a two-day administration camp in Sydney on Sunday.​
Even with incumbent Kurtley Beale currently out of the picture due to his indefinite suspension over alcohol issues, Cooper will stay in Brisbane as other No.10 contenders meet with Deans and the rest of the extended squad.​
.....​
He isn't the only regular Wallabies player to miss the last of three logistics camps held during the Super Rugby season as Melbourne Rebels halfback Nick Phipps has been usurped by Brumbies No.9 Nic White as Genia's back-up.​
With Beale currently out of the picture and injury-plagued Waratah Berrick Barnes sidelined, O'Connor appears set to regain the No.10 jersey he wore with distinction in the 2011 end-of-year tour.​
Uncapped Brumbies playmaker Christian Lealiifano is seen as the next cab off the rank but he has played the bulk of 2013 at inside centre. .....​
Read More: link

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You just beat me there, Dumbledore!

So I suppose the question is, who are the 30 in the squad?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quade out!
WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans appears set to overlook Quade Cooper for the upcoming British and Irish Lions series with James O'Connor favoured to play five-eighth.
Cooper still looks on the outer with Deans as the controversial playmaker will not be among a 30-man Wallabies squad to gather for a two-day administration camp in Sydney on Sunday.​
Even with incumbent Kurtley Beale currently out of the picture due to his indefinite suspension over alcohol issues, Cooper will stay in Brisbane as other No.10 contenders meet with Deans and the rest of the extended squad.​
...​
He isn't the only regular Wallabies player to miss the last of three logistics camps held during the Super Rugby season as Melbourne Rebels halfback Nick Phipps has been usurped by Brumbies No.9 Nic White as Genia's back-up.​
With Beale currently out of the picture and injury-plagued Waratah Berrick Barnes sidelined, O'Connor appears set to regain the No.10 jersey he wore with distinction in the 2011 end-of-year tour.​
Uncapped Brumbies playmaker Christian Lealiifano is seen as the next cab off the rank but he has played the bulk of 2013 at inside centre. ...​
Read More: link
No real surprises, QC (Quade Cooper) would have had to have been on fire all season to get back in after the events of last year and that hasn't happened.

White is miles ahead of Phipps and thoroughly deserves to be Genia's back-up on form.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure JOC (James O'Connor) is the man the Wallabies should have at 10 to beat the Lions. Cooper, Lilo, Barnes and Beale (pending sobriety) are all better options, and JOC (James O'Connor) is probably the best winger the Wobs have.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hear there is a "fair bit" of friction between Deans and KB (Kurtley Beale).
If he is considering JOC (James O'Connor) it may be because he is the only experienced test player left standing with whom Deans can deal.
Lover or hate QC (Quade Cooper) & KB (Kurtley Beale) its ridiculous that it has come to this: I dont blame Deans, either.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
my guess at the 30

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Timani
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Alexander
10. Moore
11. Slipper
12. Simmons
13. Horwill
14. Gill
15. Mowen
16. Higginbotham
17. Genia
18. White
19. O'Connor
20. Lealiifano
21. Tapuai
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
23. Mitchell
24. Horne
25. A Fainga'a
26. Hanson
27. Tomane
28. Palmer
29. Ioane
30. Mogg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think our results over the past 5 seasons indicate that it is Deans who we don't need.

Surely this is just a motivational ploy though.
The 3 "top picks" for 10 are fully paid up members of the FIGJAM club as a result of which they are impossible to deal with.
How is that Deans fault.
His failing was in not dropping JOC (James O'Connor) for the RWC when he failed to front for the photo call.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely this is just a motivational ploy though.

Initially I thought wtf, JOC (James O'Connor) has never played played 5/8 regularly in tests or Super Rugby. Then I thought that this will be a gee up for Quade. I am looking forward to weeks of brilliant rugby from him now aided by Genia as he shows he is up to it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His failing was in not dropping JOC (James O'Connor) for the RWC when he failed to front for the photo call.

You wanted JOC (James O'Connor) dropped for the entire RWC for sleeping in? Unlike Quade and to a lesser extent Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) always has a great attitude and plays well when in gold.

Initially I thought wtf, JOC (James O'Connor) has never played played 5/8 regularly in tests or Super Rugby. Then I thought that this will be a gee up for Quade. I am looking forward to weeks of brilliant rugby from him now aided by Genia as he shows he is up to it.

I don't think it matters how good Quade plays Super Rugby. He ain't getting picked.

Earlier this season, Deans said Cooper would begin the year with a clean slate but also underlined he would select players who teammates could rely upon under pressure.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think it matters how good Quade plays Super Rugby. He ain't getting picked.

Yeah, I worry this will be the case and when we get smoked in the first test and Quade gets brought in to fix everything then gets blamed for losing the series when we get smoked in the second.

Deans will screw up the selections in more than one position I would hazard a guess at.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The fact is that Deans has lost the faith of a vast number of Rugby fans. He is expected to make glaring clangers in selection and half baked tactical plans. The loss of faith has gone that far with many that even if a selection is reasonable and based on sound facts it is questioned heatedly and with great passion, simply because of that lack of faith.

I actually agree more today with what Quade said last year about the camp than I did then. He may well have been speaking only about his own experience and its impact on him personally, but I firmly believe if other players felt their convictions as firmly as QC (Quade Cooper) they too would have spoken out. That Deans is and was more than likely, on the odds, going to be confirmed again as the Wallabies coach just meant they those players just swallowed their thoughts in the hope of continuing their test careers so that they would have the opportunity to play in a Lions series and the 2015 RWC.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
My title was better!

Not really surprised to be honest, Quade would have to be absolutely slaying to earn a spot I reckon. I find it genuinely encouraging that he's looking at Lilo and White. Still waiting for the inevitable moment when Dennis, Ma'afood, Kepu et al. are picked though.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Gotta love the fact that the 2 likely 10s in that 30 (Lilo and JOC (James O'Connor)) haven't played 5 games between them at 10 this year.

They should be fresh then ;) Remember the standard of play from 2001 and the pressure the Wallabies endured and how tough we had to be to win it. This is not a time for our team to be in any way divided. This is so much more than 3 test matches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wonder if Servo watches any rugby? If he is happy to sit back and believe whatever Deans spins his way on selections/game plan without seeing for himself or getting other opinions then Deans is odds on to go around again.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You wanted JOC (James O'Connor) dropped for the entire RWC for sleeping in? Unlike Quade and to a lesser extent Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) always has a great attitude and plays well when in gold.

Sure.
Send a frigging message to these spoilt brats

Status
Not open for further replies.