• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
More shit journalism that tries to make the news and not report it. Love how there's no mention of how the Reds will be in New Zealand the night before the camp is supposed to start and you know, how that may be a factor here. Wouldn't be surprised is this camp is entirely Brumbies/Tahs/Rebels simply based on the fact that the Reds will be in NZ and the Force will still be in Perth on Saturday night. It's the first of several preliminary camps anyway so isn't really of indication of anything at all in regards to the actual Lions selections.

Really sick of the sensationalist journalism surrounding this tour already.
I understand where you are coming from but as it's said in the article, the training camp runs for two days so not sure why the Reds contingent of the Wallabies can't be involved on Monday, unless the decision to omit Cooper was deliberate (hard to know because they haven't named the whole squad and Genia could be there).

But then again, this is one of many camps.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
unless the decision to omit Cooper was deliberate (hard to know because they haven't named the whole squad and Genia could be there).

But then again, this is one of many camps.

Both of these things, exactly.

They would probably just be better off writing about how the apocalypse is clearly imminent as the sky was unusually overcast this morning.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would preface this by saying I would probably pick Cooper at 10.

But I can actually see where Deans is coming from (again, not that I agree with it). Cooper faultered under pressure at the RWC. Now the failings weren't just his, but he definitely cracked when they needed him. Then he comes back and is OK in Bled 2, but stinks it up against Argentina on the GC.

So clearly he doesn't trust him to perform in gold. Now if we were playing Scotland or Ireland to warm up then maybe he could give him another chance. But maybe he doesn't want to take the risk of throwing him straight in to play the Lions, especially when there are a few viable alternatives out there who are much the same as Cooper.

Just trying to put myself in RD's shoes.
I not only think you're right but i also think this is an entirely justifiable approach from Deans.
At one level Deans is relying on QC (Quade Cooper) to keep his own job - so unless you think he has a death wish for either or both himself and the Wallabies his interests align with ours.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Name one other international coach who would go into a series against the Lions with his two first choice 10's having both been played in different positions all year?

Picking players out of position and in positions they dont play for their clubs/states, and states/clubs refusing to play players in the position the national coach is considering them for, has been going on in Australian rugby since before Deans was born.

We do not have the cattle. The cattle we have are divided in 2 herds - those with BSE who think the game owes them a living and those who play their hearts out with limited skill sets.
One group of supporters forgive the BSE infected all their sins and call for their selection irrespective of their on and off field atrocities.
The other group of supporters bag the FIGJAM club members and call for reliability and honour as the guding principle justifying selection.
But all of our problems come back to the tiny gene pool from which we draw our test players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I put a post in the Wallaby Watch thread suggesting that looking at how the Wobs played / practiced playing the Lions against the Welsh we can extrapolate who is likely to be selected

Few new units and a side that has/will be committed to that conservative game plan.

I can see why a attack minded, weak defensively unit may not be a priority when we will be playing a tight defence based game

Deans will be happy to see the Wobs win two tests by a point playing dire rugby, I would prefer to see us have a go

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fp, that's an interesting trade-off isn't it. Would a series win playing unwatchable rugby bring new fans to the game? Or would, for instance, a close loss in the third game playing expansive exciting rugby do more?

My personal feeling is the latter. It's easy to love a team that has you on the edge of your seat but falls a little short than one that puts you to sleep.

Of course, Deans is coaching for his job, not the good of Australian rugby.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
My only questions is why can't Deans try and picked a balanced squad that can both attack and defend? Why does it have to be either or? These things aren't mutually exclusive, unless you're running the system Deans has seemingly put into place I guess. How does even he think that a watered down version of the 2003-2007 era England/Springbok strategy would ever work in this day and age and with our playing pool? Feels like he's smashing his head against the door trying to get the knob to turn.

Too many Waratahs AGAIN

It's the first of a lot of camps and two of the teams will effectively be out of reach for at least half of this camp. I know all of the journalists so far have conveniently ignored this fact to sensationalize the shit out of everything but this camp won't be the 'end all be all' of Lions selections. I'd much rather him bring in some fringe guys to these early camps just on the small chance we may unearth a player who wasn't the best at his Super Rugby franchise but for whatever reasons has exceptional chemistry within the Wallaby playing group/has a talent for the systems currently being run within the Wallabies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
"Earlier this season, Deans said Cooper would begin the year with a clean slate but also underlined he would select players who teammates could rely upon under pressure."

Wait, so what does that mean for the entire team who didn't turn up for either of the Ireland pool game and Semi-Final against the Kiwis? Were they not pressure games? Did anyone really stand up and take it to either team?

While Cooper had a poor year or so and brought the "Enemy No. 1" on himself, I didn't see any team mates showing that they excelled under pressure.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Where's the list of invitees again?

It isn't even out yet. Sport journalism just seems to be swirling the drain in terms of quality right now. Don't worry though ESPN is giving Growden air-time so he can explain to us all why Kurtley will be the starting 10. I'm not even sure if I'm angrier at Growden for being such shit or Deans for making me half-believe Growden could be right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I hear there is a "fair bit" of friction between Deans and KB (Kurtley Beale).
If he is considering JOC (James O'Connor) it may be because he is the only experienced test player left standing with whom Deans can deal.
Lover or hate QC (Quade Cooper) & KB (Kurtley Beale) its ridiculous that it has come to this: I dont blame Deans, either.
If JO'C is the only experienced 10 left and therefore has to be picked there, who is the experienced 15 left who will have to be picked? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Maybe Mogg of Izzy will make the team after all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If JO'C is the only experienced 10 left and therefore has to be picked there, who is the experienced 15 left who will have to be picked? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Maybe Mogg of Izzy will make the team after all.

I still think Barnes will play 15 in the Lions series.

If he comes back and plays four games for the Tahs before the squad is selected and is fit enough, I think he'll be the first choice 15.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

You say Mogg OR Izzy like both have an even chance of making it. I think both are not yet ready for the Lions, and roughly of equal ability, but in reality one is on a significant ARU contract, and one isn't. One is thinking about returning to League, and one isn't.

I think we all know who will wear the 15 shirt in that toss-up. But I agree with BH that it will probably be Barnes.

I hope my cynicism is misplaced though.

Status
Not open for further replies.