• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes but the implied assertion (as I read it anyway) was that Cooper is the rightful 10.

Either way it's a messy situation. I am just as unhappy about it as you are. I would pick Quade but am not so sure that he is the answer as some here- his record when the heat is on in gold is at best patchy.

KB (Kurtley Beale), Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) I don't think would be terrible- all are good players who have proved themselves at one point or another. Let's not paint this as a massive crisis.

The crisis is in the lack of logic, process or ability of our national coach. This is just an example that highlights the underlying issue.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There's a lot more sense in this squad, taken as a whole, than others Deans has selected. We'll know a helluva lot more when the 25-man basic squad is announced in May.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
haven't checked if its been addressed, but to me, Link's comments to Cully re Cooper are ridiculous.
he says criticism of cooper's defense is outrageous as cooper isn't hidden in defense, rather he's there for counter attacking purposes and thus people attacking his inability to defend have unfounded claims. but watch him try to defend. he goes in way to high, falls off, rarely sticks a tackle.
i personally thought his comments were a bit of a joke? anyone else? i respect cooper's attacking ability, but he is absolutely woeful on d.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Hypothetically, if the wallabies were going to go with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, who would you have at full back?

Keeping in mind they have to be an excellent defender both in the line and at the back, good under the highball and able to inject themselves out wide.

In the past I would have said barnes, but I he hasn't played in too long. Ideally you'd have Beale, but his defence is suspect and his heads in the wrong place at the moment. Lance is the most consistent but lacks the brilliance of beale. O'Connor maybe an option?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
haven't checked if its been addressed, but to me, Link's comments to Cully re Cooper are ridiculous.
he says criticism of cooper's defense is outrageous as cooper isn't hidden in defense, rather he's there for counter attacking purposes and thus people attacking his inability to defend have unfounded claims. but watch him try to defend. he goes in way to high, falls off, rarely sticks a tackle.
i personally thought his comments were a bit of a joke? anyone else? i respect cooper's attacking ability, but he is absolutely woeful on d.

His comment is obviously aimed at Deans playing Cooper at 10 in defence in test matches. No one denies Cooper is not a strong defender.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
O'Connor will need a lot more work at 10 before you could consider him a first choice there for the Wobs.

After tonight, you would have to favour SNK over JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, and that's not saying much.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
not comparing v JOC (James O'Connor). but yes it has improved but QC (Quade Cooper) is still woeful in defense. his technique is shocking for a super 15 player.
i'll have to watch the rebs game on recording, as to be honest, JOC (James O'Connor) didn't look too bad live at the game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hypothetically, if the wallabies were going to go with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, who would you have at full back?

Keeping in mind they have to be an excellent defender both in the line and at the back, good under the highball and able to inject themselves out wide.

In the past I would have said barnes, but I he hasn't played in too long. Ideally you'd have Beale, but his defence is suspect and his heads in the wrong place at the moment. Lance is the most consistent but lacks the brilliance of beale. O'Connor maybe an option?
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at Fullback, Horne at 13? Both are solid defenders.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I don't think he actually said the criticism of his defense was ridiculous, just constant moaning for him to defend at 10 was ridiculous.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

JOC (James O'Connor) is the clear choice for me.

Extra playmaker out wide, great runner (especially in the 13 channel), strong enough defender, good kicker. Always plays up a level for the wallabies.

With JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 you could even get away with two defensive centres if you really wanted.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at Fullback, Horne at 13? Both are solid defenders.

Taking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of 13 is a huge fucking mistake I'd like to see the Wallabies selectors stop repeating. He is a shadow of himself in any other position and has proven this so many times before. Yes he is a good 15 at test level, but he is much much better at 13. Also, people complain enough about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not passing, imagine if a guy like Horne was there.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
agree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the best 13 in australia by a long shot and he is playing the best he has in awhile at the moment.
have to keep him there. just a question of what style of 12 you want, a playmaker or a bash n barge or that middle ground with tapuai.

who plays 10 and 15 is fast becoming a big question mark....especially 10 but that filters into 15.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I have to say I completely agree with Scotty about JOC (James O'Connor) at 15. He has everything you would want (with or without Cooper) and he's been playing back there most of this season. The only thing I'd even question would be his security under the high ball.

Having a purely bash-and-barge 12 rarely works unless you've built your entire structure around a power game (think how Gatland ran the Welsh setup). You need that balance because having a one-dimensional 12 is like admitting you don't expect the other team to adapt. They will. You will not have a good day when they do.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Can't see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback, not because he can't do a good job but because we need a strong 13 much more desperately. There's 4 players who can do a job that falls between good and great for us in fullback at test level, five if you counted Folau which is starting to look a possibility as an impact player.

I'd go so far as to say that other than settling our flyhalf we're pretty good in the backs. Stark reminder just how bad it was last year. Touch wood.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Moggy deserves a spot but pounds to peanuts he doesn't make the 22.
We need a tough, uncomromising, high work load bunch of forwards to combat the Lions - mainly Brums and Reds - they have current form
Not too many Tahs forwards should get a berth

P

Paradox

Taking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of 13 is a huge fucking mistake I'd like to see the Wallabies selectors stop repeating. He is a shadow of himself in any other position and has proven this so many times before. Yes he is a good 15 at test level, but he is much much better at 13. Also, people complain enough about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not passing, imagine if a guy like Horne was there.

There's noone else either other than A Fainga'a. I think Tomane will be a great 13 in the future but not this year.

I don't mind JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 either. IMO Barnes or JOC (James O'Connor) will play either 15 or 10 and both will be in the starting XV. If this is the case, Oz is going to only field one kicking player in the back 3. Does this mean Deans is going to play a running game? I can't see Mogg starting on the wing.

I reckon we might see:

9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Ioane
12. Taps
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. Barnes

/** All Uncapped **/
20. White
21. Folau
22. Lilo

T

TOCC

I have to say I completely agree with Scotty about JOC (James O'Connor) at 15. He has everything you would want (with or without Cooper) and he's been playing back there most of this season. The only thing I'd even question would be his security under the high ball.

security under the highball is one of the most important parts of a fullbacks game at test level..... I don't give a shit if JOC (James O'Connor) does have a good step or strong in contact, if he is under pressure and can't take the highball then those attributes are useless...

P

Paradox

security under the highball is one of the most important parts of a fullbacks game at test level... I don't give a shit if JOC (James O'Connor) does have a good step or strong in contact, if he is under pressure and can't take the highball then those attributes are useless.

Agreed, Deans has selected Folau and Tomane on the wings probably for the same reason. Fortunately both are awesome under the high ball. I think that's why Tomane edged out Mitchell and his defense is possibly better as well. Ioane isn't as good under the bomb but he goes alright generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.