• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Are the Brumbies up the Creek..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Fantastic result. Jake managed to be a prick for a couple weeks, then by coming to his senses he can capitalise upon his loyalty.

Whatever else went on, this is a great decision and great for the Brums. Good on ya Aussie Jake!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Jake has a lot left in coach his coaching life yet (only 48, could still coach another 20 years if he wants) he'll get another chance to coach at a world cup if he wants.

Yeah, anything could happen. There may be a national coaching job available late 2013 which will based be a lot closer than England. So who knows? ;)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
It was certainly an interesting afternoon with Jake White. First off it appeared he was going to refuse any media opportunity as Ben Mowen fronted up first to discuss the situation. Normally all the media is done first and then they take to the field.

The Brumbies went in to have their meeting and White emerged to announce to the waiting media that he had just informed the squad that he was staying at the Brumbies.

So an eventful afternoon - just another day really.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
'Tempted' White staying with ACT
Chris Dutton
March 10, 2012
LI-art-wide-white_20120309211409860596-420x0.jpg
Coach Jake White speaks to the media. Photo: Stuart Walmsley

Jake White insists he is committed to his four-year deal with the ACT Brumbies after ending three days of confusion by withdrawing from the race to be England's new coach yesterday.

Despite admitting he was tempted by the opportunity to apply for the position and possibly chase a second World Cup triumph, White is confident he has ''200 per cent'' support from the entire Brumbies squad.

While he considered leaving the Brumbies just one-game into his tenure, White said his contract was not a ''jail sentence'' and he wanted to show loyalty to his players.

''I'm committed and I see the bigger picture here at the Brumbies and my four years isn't a jail sentence,'' White told The Canberra Times.

''I want to be here, I want to be a part of it and the decisive thing in me as a coach was that it was a moral stance within.

''There's no use talking the talk if you can't walk the walk.

''I've asked the players to be committed here and to buy into things, I'm doing the same.

''I can't ask the players to put their bodies on the line and be committed and disciplined if I don't have the same values.''

White unexpectedly addressed his players - and then the media - just minutes before the team's captain's run at Canberra Stadium last night.

It was a simple message in his brief address to the players in the changeroom - I'm here to stay.

It came three days after The Canberra Times revealed White was considering walking out on his deal with the Brumbies to return to international coaching.

But after an internal ''tough debate'', the South African broke his silence and said he decided to pull out of the search for England's new boss.

There was confusion surrounding White's future until after 6pm yesterday.

He was due to front the media before training, but did not want to until he had spoken to his team.

Captain Ben Mowen said in a press conference at 5.50pm it was unlikely the issue of White's interest in coaching England would be talked about before the Brumbies clash with the Free State Cheetahs today.

Moments later the team went into the Canberra Stadium changerooms to have a meeting and when White emerged 15 minutes later, he detailed his decision to not pursue the chance to be in charge of England.

''There has been a lot of negative stuff, but I have also had a lot of positive comments about the opportunity which was before me,'' White said.

''Everything in life is about timing … The bottom line is simple, I'm committed to the Brumbies, I've signed on the dotted line and you have to judge people by their actions.

''I've said to the players I'm here, we've got something going and I need the changeroom to understand that.

''Coaching is a very volatile world, the same people that praise you are the same people who want you out when you're not winning.

''That's the nature of the beast. I was tapped on the shoulder [by England] and I said it was something I would look at in the future.

''But there's no uncertainty, I've committed myself to four years with the Brumbies.''

White met with Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan and chairman Sean Hammond on Wednesday to tell them he had been approached about applying for the job.

He said he told them to be upfront and prepare them for the speculation which followed.

Despite being just one game into his four-year contract, White strongly considered taking the job.

He said he did not front the media on Thursday because he didn't know what his decision would be.

The opportunity to be closer to his two sons - who are still based in South Africa - was a major factor in his final decision.

White hasn't seen his sons since July 2 last year and the chance to coach England could have allowed him to visit them regularly.

''I would have been closer to home [in England].

''My boys are 20 and 16 years old, I had to get away on Thursday to reflect and look at things from all perspectives.

''One of the things you look at as a dad is being able to go home every now and then to see my boys. This is a new environment for me and now I've got a job to do.''

White hoped informing his players would eliminate any chance his uncertain future had of distracting them ahead of their match against the Cheetahs.

The timing of the coaching drama was one year and a week after Andy Friend was sacked after two games into last season.

White acknowledged the history of last year made his situation more sensitive and said he needed to be honest with his players.

''What has happened in the past and the baggage of last year means there's a bit of sensitivity,'' White said.

''I understand that, but I can't be held liable for the past.

''I probably have got more confidence now from the players because they know in their hearts [the chance in England] was a massive opportunity … they are mindful of the fact it is a very tempting proposition.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tempted-white-staying-with-act-20120309-1uqa9.html#ixzz1ocoQJqt7

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If he's now 'morally committed' to the Brumbies, one really wonders why on earth he put them through a mini-nightmare of cruel ambivalence, undermining rumors, and legitimate fear for their futures if White was to walk after just a few games.

I'm very glad for Aus rugby and the Brumbies that he's staying, but this wound may not completely heal for some considerable time, and there'll be residual mistrust for quite a period yet.

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Well that certainly doesn't read very well in my opinion
Thats is great for the Brums and Oz rugby. Hopefully it is not just because he has looked at his contract and can't get out of it.
It does really sound like that. Ok, he's missing his kids but how well did he think through his decision to move to Canberra. Jesus Jake how old are you!?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That'll shut Hoiles' bitter mouth...
Funny Hoiles talking of double standards. I distinctly remember him appearing on the rugby club after friend got the boot and saying the players will be responsible and accountable from what happens now on. Well we know what happened from then on and Hoiles was nowhere to be seen. I don't blame anybody for thinking that Hoiles has the conviction of a vegitarian shark.

If white does take the England job, he has to be booted out immediatly. Fisher to coach the season out as he has the experience.

I hope either way it works out well for the Brumbies. That is what is best for rugby in general.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If white does take the England job, he has to be booted out immediatly. Fisher to coach the season out as he has the experience.

I hope either way it works out well for the Brumbies. That is what is best for rugby in general.

White is staying...

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Two games into a four year contract the most important cog in your Super 15 club talks about leaving?

Surely you STFU until you are offered the job. It's what most people in the real world do.

And the stuff about now being "committed to the Brumbies"- well as Jake said "you have to judge people by their actions."

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Is there any coach in the super15 who wouldn't consider taking the England job if the opportunity came up?

Good on Jake White for staying with the Brumbies, this is great for them.

R

rugbyj

i disagree good on him for staying, should be good for the brumbies

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes the ones that have current contracts

Jeez in this day and age why are people so shocked that Jake White would walk out on a contract? If the players don't uphold them then why should the coaches? It's just the way of the world now.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Doesn't mean it isn't shit though, does it? And a coach arguably has far more impact on the structures, composition and orientation of a team than any player would ever have.

I think this is compounded by the new team, new era rhetoric coming out of Canberra since White signed on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Oh look it would be terrible, no arguments here. But I find the idea that Jake would be constricted from moving purely because he had signed a contract a bit naive. These days contracts mean two thirds of fuck all. Is that a good thing? Of course not. But it is sadly the way of the sporting world.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh look it would be terrible, no arguments here. But I find the idea that Jake would be constricted from moving purely because he had signed a contract a bit naive. These days contracts mean two thirds of fuck all. Is that a good thing? Of course not. But it is sadly the way of the sporting world.

Depends on how the contract is written. I would be interested in seeing the 'standard' players and coaches contract. I know employment contracts I have seen have some clauses in them that goven when they can and can not be broken. If I was throwing that much money at a coach in an effort to 'rebuild' I would be making it bloody hard for said coach to leave. On the contract note - Why do you think SBW is not back in Oz this year playing NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.