• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia Sun, 7/8/2022, 5:10 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paisami was excellent. Got over the gain line all game and had some good touches. Very sad for Quade. I wonder if JOC (James O'Connor) comes into contention for next week?
The Wallabies second half was dominant and hopefully will come out firing next week from the kick off.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) man of the match for mine.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A mixed performance I thought..

White and Quade were controlling the game really poorly in the first half I thought, up until the injury of course. Some poor execution and discipline across the entire team and were lucky to go into the half with the score they did. Much better performance in the second half by the entire team. The players off the bench made a big impact.

The Argies were attacking the halves channel very heavily. Not sure on the D set up but it seems an issue when the halves make more tackles in a game than the locks. What is interesting is that the stats show the WBs dominated territory in both halves, but 9 and 10 still did not seem to have a lot of room. A lot of time in the first half was gifting distance on penalties. I thought they could do better but I'm not calling it poor.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Or they can be like sitting with a group of mates at a game bantering
Hey we've all got our preferences. Nothing wrong with RugbyReg liking to watch his games like this. ;) :p

DCsKxjRXUAA3AzF.jpg

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Tell you what, McReight and Hodge just proved why the Aus A program needs to be run. Both thrust into the 23 with weeks of being out and absolutely executed.

If I was a player on either team, I'd be so confused at what the ruck interpretation was. Went from pedantic to free for all in the end.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Tell you what, McReight and Hodge just proved why the Aus A program needs to be run. Both thrust into the 23 with weeks of being out and absolutely executed.

If I was a player on either team, I'd be so confused at what the ruck interpretation was. Went from pedantic to free fall all in the end.
Hodge deserves an apology, everyone loves to hate him but the poor prick turns up every time.

lovely penalty kick from him to take us into the lead, felt like if we missed that momentum could’ve not swung.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we should have taken the three points at the end to close it out rather than chase that bonus point.

Hodge always shows up. Hes a great asset for Oz rugby to have.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

If I was a player on either team, I'd be so confused at what the ruck interpretation was. Went from pedantic to free fall all in the end.

The injury tolls we're occurring are horrid, but the upside is come RWC next year, we have genuine depth. Players like Frost getting serious minutes. Who would have thought a player like Gibbon was due to be capped this year. Time to see if Wright is a genuine 15 option. Testing Hodge again as a viable backup 10, even McReight getting a run.

But yes, the Aus A's needs to be embedded if we're going to develop that next rung of cohesion and give the fringe or up and coming players real experience. I wonder if NZ would consider a NZ A's team. Be great to run some games in parallel with the Rugby Championships... or even have a team tour later this year when the Nov Internationals are occurring.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Hodge deserves an apology, everyone loves to hate him but the poor prick turns up every time.

lovely penalty kick from him to take us into the lead, felt like if we missed that momentum could’ve not swung.
At one stage in defence he was on the open side when a ruck was formed, saw we were short on the blind, hustled to the blind and helped shut down what could’ve been a dangerous situation. Sure he can be clunky at times, but it’s effort plays like that that show why he’s still picked.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Paisami was excellent. Got over the gain line all game and had some good touches. Very sad for Quade. I wonder if JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) comes into contention for next week?
The Wallabies second half was dominant and hopefully will come out firing next week from the kick off.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) man of the match for mine.
I think I’d much rather Hodge stay there TBH. JOC (James O'Connor) would make a good sideline interviewer I reckon.

Go back to a 5:3 bench next week and bring Noah and Foketi in.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I also liked Wright at fb, think his mix of ball playing and running game can keep opposition defenders guessing. Will need some consistent performances there, but good showing today. Wish he’d lose the niggly aspect of his game though

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm with the Hodge apologists. After the third test in Sydney I would've recommended Hodge never be picked for Australia again. After this morning's match I'd suggest he be in every 23 for the forseeable future.

Sorry, Reece. Good thing I'm not a selector.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Feel very sorry for Quade. An injury like that at his ‘old’ age will take some coming back from. I’m still not sure who our next best option at 5/8 is.

Noah is heading in the right direction but I feel he is still a little green. I also think he the beneficiary of playing Super rugby behind a strong Brumbies pack. That probably got him international exposure before his time.

JOC (James O'Connor) I think is past his best unfortunately. Flat out stringing 3 games together. A bit like Quade and probably getting a bit long in the tooth. He might yet prove me wrong.

Hodge is always an option in any position in the backline but I feel his flexibility is probably his own worst enemy. IMHO he is better suited to the bench where he can fill any position at any time. Super reliable even when the stakes are down, and can kick goals.

Ben Donaldson is probably next in line of the young 5/8’s about given his game time in the Aussie A games. I think he has great potential and could possibly be our 5/8 long term but I don’t think he is ready to be thrown to the lions against the AB’s and Boks.

Edmed (who I didn’t really rate before this year), Pajistoa (Force bloke who’s name I am sure I misspelt) and C Gordon are probably the next cabs off the rank that I hope we will not need to draw upon.

Thoughts?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great to win, a lot to like about the way it was achieved. Holloway had a good debut, Leota did well when he came on also. Paisami had a good game although his misread left the hole for Matera to run through and score. Unlucky for Quade, i doubt we will see him again if it is a tendon. Time for Lolesio to be trusted. FF (Folau Fainga'a) certainly had the best game ive seen him play.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Bloody happy to win that game and it was about time Wallabies had some luck in the end.

I feel for Quade, he's such a good footballer and even looked a real running threat for the first time in a while. Flyhalf is a bit of a concern though, neither Lolesio nor Hodge are good enough for us to be consistently winning games against top tier opposition, and like the England series our attack will likely revert to being clunky and White overplaying his hand.

I thought the back three played pretty well too apart but Koribete's skill execution let him down a few times.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
We also need to sort out the discipline issues that we constantly have in the first quarter of games. The guys are enthusiastic but some of the decision-making is absolutely woeful especially by the forward pack.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah it was good watching them come from behind, stay in touch and then have the nous in the end to push for a good win.

So many times we've been close but let the game go

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of the old Quade in this match, a lot of unnecessary offloads putting teammates under pressure.

Still, miles better than Lolesio running a backline however. Big loss.

Loved some of the boys standing up to the niggly Argies who get a push in needlessly. Fainga'a and Holloway especially. Fuck Mike Adamson for not calling out the Argies for always starting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.