• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia Sun, 7/8/2022, 5:10 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is the first season you have seen it!
Some of us saw it and then watched it fade as he disappeared into the row. You burn a lot of energy in the row and to expect someone to showcase their natural BR talent from that position is a huge ask. He was all but lost as we farted around with an average backrow that struggled to bend or break the line let alone do everything else an 8 is expected to do.

I reckon I have watched every single game Jed Holloway has played for the Waratahs and the overwhelming majority of the home ones live.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've always rated Holloway, right from when I saw him running around at eight for Souths. I'm glad he's got his game to a point where he was in the discussion for a test call up and for mine he repaid the faith. We need a gnarly six (who is also disciplined -- looking at you Lachie) and he could be it. I'd like to see Jed get an extended run in the position to see if he could be the one.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He was pretty honest recently about not doing enough to earn a Wallabies cap. He was just doing enough to be a pro but has now done the extras that push you to the next level and I'm sure he's really cherishing it. Had a great debut with much more in front of him.
He was never going to make it as a lock and therefore did enough to be a pro lock but never a wallaby. What would you have done if they said something like 'play in the row or there isn't a place for you? This has been the fate of several good 8's who were big enough and skilled enough but the team was short of timber in the row?
He was just lucky that Rennie saw the potential in him away from lock.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've always rated Holloway, right from when I saw him running around at eight for Souths. I'm glad he's got his game to a point where he was in the discussion for a test call up and for mine he repaid the faith. We need a gnarly six (who is also disciplined -- looking at you Lachie) and he could be it. I'd like to see Jed get an extended run in the position to see if he could be the one.
Agree with you but would swap him and Valentini as I think V could be a great 6 and Holloway a great 8. That leaves just 7 to complete a great backrow and I would love to see that!
BTW I believe he has always had the game but hard to show it from 4/5

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He seemed to hide his phone pretty quickly when the camera caught him.

Probably wasn't supposed to be on it.

Most leagues around the world have a phone ban on any players, coaches and staff actively involved in the game being played, that includes players who get injured.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given he wasn’t even in the Aus A’s, I’d say the only way he goes to the RWC is if he somehow carries the Rebels to a Super Rugby title next year all on his own.
Trueish, but I'd like to see a talented 5/8 in the Wallabies as we have had good tradesmen for a while and nothing outstanding getting a look in.
I was surprised that Lolesio was chosen at 10 from the successful U20's team where he played 12 and was good in that position but Harrison was an excellent 10 in that team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Then you cannot have had much faith in him as an 8?

He had some good form in the past at various points but also suffered a lot of injuries.

In 2016 he was picked at number 8 a fair bit.

By 2017 he was often the bench number 8 behind Michael Wells.

In 2018 he started getting selected at lock and started a fair bit although half of that was off the bench.

2018 was the only season he made it through without injury causing him to miss a significant chunk of the season.

I think he would have had a fair chance at higher honours at number 8 if he'd had a couple of seasons without injury in there to really get some consistency but it didn't happen.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Trueish, but I'd like to see a talented 5/8 in the Wallabies as we have had good tradesmen for a while and nothing outstanding getting a look in.
I was surprised that Lolesio was chosen at 10 from the successful U20's team where he played 12 and was good in that position but Harrison was an excellent 10 in that team.

Lolesio had also been playing 10 for Vikings in club rugby and in the NRC...

Alex Ross (28)
Lolesio wasn’t chosen at 10 for the Wallabies over Harrison because of u20’s. it was because of Super Rugby in 2020 where he played 10 all year for the much more successful Brumbies.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Impressive work from Swain to still be running around at the 85th minute, I'm excited to see what Rennie can do with him, I doubt he's close to his ceiling.
Definitely staked his claim and played well, but he was pretty lucky to get away with dropping a shoulder into the Argentinian player chasing a kick. Following on from the incident with England, you hope it isn't a bit of hotheadedness/impulsivity creeping in.

Also lovely to see Petaia get 85 minutes of nice footy without limping off.
Surprised no one's really mentioned him yet - had a really solid game, got involved when he could (while letting Ikitau and Paisami do their thing infield), made a few good tackles, and had a lot of work to do for his first try. Great to see

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Definitely staked his claim and played well, but he was pretty lucky to get away with dropping a shoulder into the Argentinian player chasing a kick. Following on from the incident with England, you hope it isn't a bit of hotheadedness/impulsivity creeping in.

Surprised no one's really mentioned him yet - had a really solid game, got involved when he could (while letting Ikitau and Paisami do their thing infield), made a few good tackles, and had a lot of work to do for his first try. Great to see
Yeah I was surprised that Swain incident wasn't pulled up, from the corner of the screen looked like he changed angle, bit of a hot head.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yeah, he was definitely lucky there.

At first I thought there wasn't much in it but on replay you could easily get yellow carded for that. At the bare minimum it was a penalty.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Do we just roll on with the same 23 next week? Lolesio only change?
I'd probably be going back to a 5-3 bench as well, not sure who between O'Connor, Vunivalu or Foketi I'd bring in though. Vunivalu if they are committed to giving him game time, otherwise it might depend on how everyone has pulled up fitness wise.

Maybe bring in Arnold as well to take a look at him, but I'm not sure I can really justify dropping one of our locks.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, he was definitely lucky there.

At first I thought there wasn't much in it but on replay you could easily get yellow carded for that. At the bare minimum it was a penalty.
I think Merhts mentioned it at the time on the commentary and he was surprised it didn't get called back

Status
Not open for further replies.