• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Governance Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
organistaions/groups/people never relinquish power without some sort of guarantees that it will be in the best interests. Given that QLD and NSW are the biggest unions in the country they do stand to lose the most, thus they will want to ensure that the ARU has a system/structure in place..

Their are still some significant barriers to overcome, this process will take over 12months..

I would be interested to know how the AFL and ARL commission have operated, particularly on start up, in regards to their respective big union/bodies (VFL, WAFL, NSWRL, QRL etc).

T

TOCC

Well it took the ARLC almost 2 years of deliberating with the relative bodies in rugby league before it came into fruition.... I can't remember the AFL one

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I would be interested to know how the AFL and ARL commission have operated, particularly on start up, in regards to their respective big union/bodies (VFL, WAFL, NSWRL, QRL etc).

The AFL Commission didn't directly involve the other bodies. It formed in 1985 out of the VFL, as the league was about to expand into WA and Queensland. The semi-equivalent body at the time, the Australian National Football Council, was disbanded in 1993 once Adelaide joined the league, and all of the major bodies had AFL representation.

Each of the (now) 18 clubs has a vote on the make-up of the commission, with the major interstate bodies having a say through the control of their club licences. The Tasmanian and NT leagues are administered by the Commission, until such a time as they have an entrant in the AFL.

In terms of the Commission's make-up:

Mike Fitzpatrick - Chairman - WA
Andrew Demetriou - CEO - VIC
Bill Kelty - VIC
Chris Langford - VIC
Sam Mostyn - NSW
Justice Linda Dessau - VIC
Christopher Lynch - VIC
Richard Goyder - WA
Paul Bassat - VIC

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Big ARU announcement 2pm today with Hawker and Cosgrove in attendance
It may give the reasons behind the Club review stitchup. The whole thing was designed to manipulate a result. Report and criteria released after the review which makes it easy to cement the result they want.
The interesting thing is the 4 top tier clubs represent and interesting geographic foot print of 4 clubs. Not sure how many they have in QLD, but if you put 4 Sydney, 4 Brisbane, 1 ACT, 1 Vic..... get the picture? Then you take all the money they give the existing clubs and give it to the few what do you have?
Add the timing of O'Neils departure.
If it happens the ARU are nothing but liars as they all stated at the start and all through the process they were not interested in a new 3rd Tier.
I hope I am only being parranoid, but something smells in St Leonards.

T

TOCC

It may give the reasons behind the Club review stitchup. The whole thing was designed to manipulate a result. Report and criteria released after the review which makes it easy to cement the result they want.
The interesting thing is the 4 top tier clubs represent and interesting geographic foot print of 4 clubs. Not sure how many they have in QLD, but if you put 4 Sydney, 4 Brisbane, 1 ACT, 1 Vic... get the picture? Then you take all the money they give the existing clubs and give it to the few what do you have?
Add the timing of O'Neils departure.
If it happens the ARU are nothing but liars as they all stated at the start and all through the process they were not interested in a new 3rd Tier.
I hope I am only being parranoid, but something smells in St Leonards.

This post is rather confusing...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Key recommendations from the report are:

· Establish an Independent Board of Directors,
· Promote greater accountability and transparency,
· Reform the Membership of ARU to better reflect the contribution of the Super Rugby teams and RUPA and rebalance the voting entitlements of Members,
· Promote greater understanding and coordination of the roles and responsibilities of organisations throughout the Rugby community; and
· Protecting and enhancing the game’s future.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All 45 pages here http://myrugby.rugby.com.au/myrugby/images/docs/Gov/Details.pdf

Summary of Recommendations
Recommendation 1: That the State and Territory Unions continue to be acknowledged as Members of ARU and remain responsible for growing the Game in their own jurisdiction.

Recommendation 2: That the Australian Super Rugby teams be recognised as also having a key role in the Game, with each current Team (and any future Teams) acknowledged as Members of ARU in their own right.

Recommendation 3: That Members agree to new voting rights determined on the following basis:
- one vote for each Member Union
- one vote for each Super Rugby team as a condition of their licence
- one additional vote for each Member Union with more than 50,000 registered players (for a maximum of one additional vote)
- one vote for the Rugby Union Players’ Association.

Recommendation 4: That ARU adopt a skills-based Board comprised of up to eight Independent (non-executive) Directors.

Recommendation 5: That the following process be adopted for electing and appointing new Directors:
- a four person nomination committee to be formed each year comprising the ARU Chair and another representative selected by the Board and two representatives selected by the Members
- the committee assesses candidates based on their skills and experience and the Board’s requirements and makes recommendations on a unanimous basis to Members at the AGM for the election of up to six Directors
- the nominees are put to the Members of ARU at an AGM for approval on a two-thirds vote
- in addition to the elected directors, the Directors may appoint up to two other Directors to the Board
- that all Directors be appointed for three years and be eligible to serve a maximum of three terms in line with the current terms for the Directors appointed by the Member Unions
- that the Chair of ARU be appointed by the Board with the position to be formally reconsidered every three years.

Recommendation 6: That the CEO sit on the Board as an Executive Director while retaining his or her position as CEO on an ex officio basis.

Recommendation 7: That the Chair of the Board preside as Chair at AGMs and exercise a casting vote and that the President have no automatic entitlement to attend meetings of Directors.

Recommendation 8: That the positions of President and Vice-President be amended so each serves for a single term of one year.

Recommendation 9: That ARU adopt the practice of reporting against ASX Best Practice Recommendations.

Recommendation 10: That ARU form a joint Board and management stakeholder committee to help manage communications and interactions with key stakeholders including Member Unions, Super Rugby Franchises, sponsors and government.

Recommendation 11: That ARU continue to pursue the initiative of the current Chair to bring the Chairs of the Super Rugby teams together with CEOs and members of the ARU Board, to provide strategic as well as operational focus to the Super Rugby Commission.

Recommendation 12: That ARU work in collaboration with Member Unions and Super Rugby teams to develop a National Charter for Australian Rugby which outlines the roles and responsibilities of all organisations at all levels of Rugby.
Australian Rugby Union should also link the payment of financial Grants to the Member Unions to specific and measureable outcomes under the National Charter.

Recommendation 13: That ARU be acknowledged as the ‘keeper of the code’ for Rugby in Australia from the grassroots to the elite level and that this role is reflected in a newly drawn up ARU constitution.

Recommendations 14: That Member Unions also adopt ‘best practice’ governance structures, including an independent skills-based Board.

Recommendation 15: That ARU, through the joint Board and management stakeholder committee, actively identify and pursue those opportunities where the objectives of Rugby align with the goals of government.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Some major changes to the running of rugby in this country if it's adopted.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Good news that it has been released quickly. I wonder how recommendation 1 - state unions being responsible for growing the game in their jurisdiction - will line up with 13 - the ARU is the keeper of the code from grassroots to elite level?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some motherhood statements there, with the devil to be discovered in the detail

There is a lot more work to go.

I like recommendation #13 That ARU be acknowledged as the ‘keeper of the code’ for Rugby in Australia from the grassroots to the elite level and that this role is reflected in a newly drawn up ARU constitution.

A New Constitution - Yippee.

ARU is the "Keeper of the Code" from GRASSROOTS to elite - Yippee - recognition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good news that it has been released quickly. I wonder how recommendation 1 - state unions being responsible for growing the game in their jurisdiction - will line up with 13 - the ARU is the keeper of the code from grassroots to elite level?

Crikey. I guess it means that both ARU and Member unions will need to work together in a cooperative and communicative manner. I'd like to see that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ARU board has concurred with all recommendations less these (along with their comment):

Recommendation 5:
The Board concurs with this recommendation subject to the following amendments:
- a four person Nomination Committee to be formed each year comprising the ARU Chair, another representative selected by the Board and two representatives selected by the Members. These selected representatives must have no formal association with a Rugby organisation
- committee members have a tenure of four years
- the Committee assesses candidates based on their skills and experience and the Board’s requirements and makes recommendations to Members at the AGM for the election of six Directors
- one objective of the Committee should be to promote the maintenance of a strong rugby culture on the Board
- the nominees are put to the Members of ARU at an AGM for approval on a two-thirds vote
- in addition to the elected directors, the Directors may appoint up to two other Directors to the Board
- that the Chair of ARU be appointed by the Board with the position to be formally reconsidered every three years. The Chair would have a maximum of two terms, with the capacity to extend the Chair’s maximum term as an ARU Director to complete two terms as a Chair
NB: No change to the required implementation.

Recommendation 8:
The Board did not concur with this Recommendation. Instead, the Board supported amendments to the constitution that delivered the following system:
- That the ARU adopt a President, Senior Vice President and Junior Vice President model.
- Office holders progress through offices each two years.
NB: No change to the required implementation.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Recommendation 3, so is that:

NSWRU 2
Waratahs 1
QLDRU 2
Reds 1
ACTRU 1
Brumbies 1
VICRU 1
Rebs 1
WARU 1
Force 1
SARU 1
TASRU 1
NTRU 1
Players 1
Total 16

So, for example, NSW interests now have only 3/16 votes. QLD and NSW together have 6/16.

That's a major change, I suppose. The rest looks a little like rearranging the decks on the Titanic, but maybe I'm being cynical.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm concerned especially that this structure will deliver a board and membership with a short-term focus.

Abandoning the game at school and club level takes about 10 years to flow through to international level.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm concerned especially that this structure will deliver a board and membership with a short-term focus.

Abandoning the game at school and club level takes about 10 years to flow through to international level.
Why will it have a short term focus?

Compared that to he NSW centric system we have now I don’t see how that structure can be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.