• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Apologies. I thought I had read that it was at Sylvania HS.

For those resident in Wicks and Beasts Land, JGC training at Woollahra oval is a pleasant commute.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^ Apologies. I thought I had read that it was at Sylvania HS.

For those resident in Wicks and Beasts Land, JGC training at Woollahra oval is a pleasant commute.
Only the first "session" was - that session turned out to be information and gear only and the announcement of 1 day per week training. Last week was lifestyle guidance, I gather.
All very late in the year: still, if Pulver doesn't know if the 3rd tier has 8 or 10 teams in it for 2014 what's a few months between rusted on devotees of heaven's game?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Tough draw for WA - 5 games in 7 days with pool games in Rockhampton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Lismore and Brisbane again. There will be some tired and battered boys on the flight home.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tough draw for WA - 5 games in 7 days with pool games in Rockhampton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Lismore and Brisbane again. There will be some tired and battered boys on the flight home.

Similar for South Australia - I suppose it is a good idea to save on travel costs by only making the trip once.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I'm not sure if the source is reliable but I'll put this out there and see if anyone has heard anything or can confirm the statement.
"The JGC will become the only pathway for junior rugby, that is the ARU's view"
One i would like to see that, two there would need to be a massive change across the board for it to happen, three it would need to be extended to include the 18-21 age group.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not sure if the source is reliable but I'll put this out there and see if anyone has heard anything or can confirm the statement.
One i would like to see that, two there would need to be a massive change across the board for it to happen, three it would need to be extended to include the 18-21 age group.
Boy, I can see some noses out of joint if that ever came to pass - but come to pass it must for the good of the game in this country.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As much as I'd like to see it, I can't see that happening. It is far too simplistic, and ignores offshoots like Rugby 7's, Girls/Womens rugby, and as @S'up mentioned leaves gaping holes at the Yr12 and Colts into Academies.

The rest of the rugby world seems to have moved or be moving toward a setup where Under 18 and Under 20 rugby are seen as the major stepping stones on their "pathways". Our development model/pathway must feed into those. U17 JGC is technically a good preparation vehicle to identify and filter kids into the U18 programme (rather than a Aust Schoolboys programme), where some serious development effort can be applied to the squad members.

There needs to be an entry point for those late developers, or code changers post Under 17's if we are to be seriously competitive at Under 18 and Under 20 level.

Hopefully this is stage 2 of the JGC revolution.

There will need to be some egos broken to rationalise the various schools and junior club representative programmes. Good luck there.

Some serious though needs to go into the Academies Programme as well, because it all seems rather ad hoc and subject to fairly regular fundamental changes.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
maybe they continue with the current pathway i.e. schools and club but it stops before the national 16's and 17's and transfers to the JGC. IF JGC starts where the nationals would have been they can still hold a trial to catch the quality that slips through the cracks to fill the vacancies for the 120 (Sydney) spots available. Then from 17's on Mr Pulver could start his 2nd or 3rd tier (whatever they are calling it) which could the 18 -21 space, it would be good if that competition ran along similar lines to Under 21 soccer at the olympics. i.e each side is allowed 3 over age players.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

Could you expand on that a bit S'UP for the dummies like me? I'm very interested, but very knowledgeable in this area. What would be the advantages of it and what is the current pathway, and what could it look like if the JGC was the only pathway? Thanks mate.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the u17 age group is a hard group to begin with. There has been several players who have pulled out to concentrate on making Australian Schools (which for the time being is the pinnacle for this age group). It is also an age group where several regional areas have been weakened by scholarships being offered and taken by the best players. I suspect the Sydney and Brisbane teams with their zone teams will be far too good. The idea of JGC being the sole pathway would be tremendous, the u16 system I'm NSW was a joke last year but I cant see the Schools backing down any time soon. NZ and Queensland use schools as the only pathway from 16s to 18s and it seems to work OK for them. Resources could then be diverted to Sups call for 18-21 comp. Just my thoughts. Also the timing is curious. Isn't Rugby a winter sport? I don't envy the boys running out in the heat of March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
i don't know why any boy would pull out to make aust schoolboys that isn't chosen until after the school season starts and that is after jgc finishes. i'd have thought any boy with higher aspirations would increase their chances by playing in this comp. i also think it is a far more representative and inclusive pathway than schools. i've seen a lot of talented young players force their way into the jgc zone sides especially from non private schools who may otherwise have been overlooked. it is way past time to stop the stranglehold of gps on aust schoolboys.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
True knock on, but I think the schools might have a bigger say than the boys. My son is in a State school so it's not a problem and he's in JGC. Cricket, rowing, basketball and athletics commitments might be part of the issue, but I suspect there is a power struggle in play. The timing and cost need to be addressed in order to make the JGC a success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
true there certainly is a power struggle i know of at least one gps head who warned boys not to play jgc but the boys selected are doing it anyway and they will all be better for it. the school will win by having a fitter, more skillful and match hardened players when the season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.