• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Here's the team list from the 2006 game against England(their biggest game on tour!)
1. Chris Lawrence
2. Shannon Walker
3. Joel Thompson
4. Israel Folua
5. Obadiah Geia
6. Mitchell Pearce
7. Chris Sandow
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Nathan Strudwick
10. Tim Mannah
11. Tim Robinson
12. Kevin Proctor
13. Joseph Paulo

14. Joel Brown
15. Will Matthews
16. David Hala
17. Luke Muttdon
Which demonstrates to me at least,a Schoolboy jumper is nice,but is not even close,to ensuring a career in the game.
I'll bet you London to a brick,they all had good managers as well.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Umm u must be missing something according to this list the overwhelming majority have had pro careers and many have gone on to higher rep honours origin and australia. So I don't get your point at all.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Umm u must be missing something according to this list the overwhelming majority have had pro careers and many have gone on to higher rep honours origin and australia. So I don't get your point at all.
Don't get me wrong,I'm not suggesting these honours mean nothing,or that the selections were not on merit.
You would expect that most senior rep players would also feature in this side.
There are actually more regular first graders in this list than I would have anticipated.
However, 9 or 10 of 17 is not an overwhelming majority, and demonstrates a Schoolboy jersey is no guarantee of a long pro career.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
[quote="I
However, 9 or 10 of 17 is not an overwhelming majority, and demonstrates a Schoolboy jersey is no guarantee of a long pro career.[/quote]

I would think that 9 or 10 fairly solid to outstanding first grade and rep careers from 17 is a great result given there would be various reasons such as further education and career opportunities why the other fellas have not featured also. Looking at how many of the best rugby juniors end in up professional RL is the concern here and is good reason to ensure the success and continued development of the JGC.
Personally I would think receiving the honour of pulling on a Australian School Boys jersey would be more than nice and should be considered with a bit more respect, the quality of some of the players and their achievements on that list is outstanding.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
With respect,I think you are missing the point I was making.
No one is attempting to decry the achievement of making any Schoolboy National side.
Its the rationale that a selection in the Oz Schoolboys (in either code) ensures long term financial security,that I oppose.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
[quote="I
However, 9 or 10 of 17 is not an overwhelming majority, and demonstrates a Schoolboy jersey is no guarantee of a long pro career.

I would think that 9 or 10 fairly solid to outstanding first grade and rep careers from 17 is a great result given there would be various reasons such as further education and career opportunities why the other fellas have not featured also. Looking at how many of the best rugby juniors end in up professional RL is the concern here and is good reason to ensure the success and continued development of the JGC.
Personally I would think receiving the honour of pulling on a Australian School Boys jersey would be more than nice and should be considered with a bit more respect, the quality of some of the players and their achievements on that list is outstanding.[/quote]

Well Said Boof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australia_Schoolboy_rugby_league_team_players

F

fireball

I think we can all get too far ahead of ourselves. Just celebrate the fact that some young boys through talent, dedication or just plain desire have a great time and achieve their goals as schoolboy rugby players. If they go in from there fine but there are others who won't have that ambition. What JGC offers is a good pathway and a heathy option for their teenage years instead of mindless video games, boozing or wasting time. More power to the boys involved.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
To keep the discussion on rugby and the League pathway is an excellent yard stick here is the Australian Schoolboys team that played Samoa in 2006. Given Rugby only has 5 teams to play in (Super Rugby) it isn't a bad represenation. It is a difficult comparison between league and Union due to the structure, Rugby only judge performance based on super rugby not Club (NRL), SoO and internationals like league does.

BEN McCALMAN NSW
ROBERT SIMMONS QLD
JAMES WATERMAN QLD.
ROBERT HORNE NSW
ALBERT ANAE QLD
PETER BETHAM NSW
ADAM CAMPBELL NSW
PATRICK RYAN NSW
MICHAEL UOKA VIC
ALFRED MAFI NSW
QUADE COOPER QLD
ANDREW BARRETT NSW
SEILALA LAM ACT
ROWAN KELLAM NSW
LUKE EVANS QLD
JEREMY SU’A NSW
RODNEY DAVIES QLD
NATHAN CHARLES NSW,
PATRICK RITCHIE QLD
BARRY FA’AMAUSILI VIC
KANE HOLLINGSWORTH QLD
KURTLEY BEALE (Captain, NSW)
RODNEY MA’A NSW

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
As for the 2006 schoolboys league team 15 of the 17 played nrl at some point. Most are still playing some have gone on to higher league rep honours and others like Folau and walker have made their mark in Union Folau in wallabies and walker in 7s others like Nathan strudwick also have fantastic academic and business careers. Pretty good argument that outstanding schoolboys become successful senior players and successful in life in general. It is a lesson I give my boy success starts early and the boy you are is the man you will become.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Pretty good argument that outstanding schoolboys become successful senior players and successful in life in general. It is a lesson I give my boy success starts early and the boy you are is the man you will become.
while I don't disagree the numbers are impressive however as has been stated on this and many other threads it is a very small percentage of boy who make Aust School boys in both codes but there are plenty of spots still available, there are 500+ NRL players and 250+ super rugby players plenty of opprotunity for boys who don't make these teams. which brings us back to selection is it reputation or ability or both that gets you through as a junior?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
With respect,I think you are missing the point I was making.
No one is attempting to decry the achievement of making any Schoolboy National side.
Its the rationale that a selection in the Oz Schoolboys (in either code) ensures long term financial security,that I oppose.

Sorry but I just don't get the point you are making particularly from that list maybe a different list would be better for your point as the list of players you put up proves quite the opposite to what you are saying.
Only a fool would believe or tell their boy that " meal tickets " even exists, rather than the prospects of a solid contract gained thru talent, hard work, commitment and luck ! which doesn't stop once you get a gold jersey.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I am not sure if this is the right thread but are you aware that the new U15 and U17 championships kick off in about 5 weeks on Feb 14 in Wollongong? There are also games in Sydney on Feb 16.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry but I just don't get the point you are making particularly from that list maybe a different list would be better for your point as the list of players you put up proves quite the opposite to what you are saying.
Only a fool would believe or tell their boy that " meal tickets " even exists, rather than the prospects of a solid contract gained thru talent, hard work, commitment and luck ! which doesn't stop once you get a gold jersey.
Ok this thread headed down the direction of Oz Schoolboys means NRL career means financial security.
I gave a list of guys who have been out of School 7 years,to demonstrate that your future is not guaranteed.
There are a few that are financially secure,the same number never made it,and the majority are a mix of earning good money and journeymen.
These were the best 17 Schoolboy players,and now there are 1,000's of guys the same age earning similar or more money than they earn.
The difference being,these thousands will continue to improve their earning potential, whilst these talented Schoolboy footballers will have to start again from the bottom and learn new skills.
How does a 25 or 26 yo support himself on first year apprentice wages?
A Schoolboy jumper is nice,but it's not the holy grail.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone know the 4 Brisbane teams yet? I saw the announcement of the combined squad but haven't seen the make up of the individual teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surpisingly, it looks like the sponsorship model for reducing the cost didn't quite work out (from facebook)
Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 8.16.17 am.png

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
any word on the venues of games in the gold cup

I'm putting up a blog on the comp tomorrow, and it will have these details in it.

60 games of U17s and the same for U15s. Wow.

Good hustle ARU.

Surpisingly, it looks like the sponsorship model for reducing the cost didn't quite work out

Each team is carrying out these activities to reduce the levy locally.

Does anyone know the 4 Brisbane teams yet? I saw the announcement of the combined squad but haven't seen the make up of the individual teams.

I'm guessing that they would be training the guys and looking at them to mix and match.

PS - Let's stop talking about the league guys—we get the picture already.

Status
Not open for further replies.