• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sydney North beat both Western NSW teams on Saturday at Forshaw. The 15s won in a landslide. The 17s won 22-10. It was closer than that on the field, though. Western got a case of the dropsies and messed up some opportunities that would make it closer.

Today, at TG Milner, Sydney West beat both Western teams. Western 15s were in front until Sydney West came back late to win. The Western 17s couldn't match it physically with SW and the score ended up a lot to not many. The 2.5 hour wait to play didn't help them, but I don't think it would have made nearly that much difference.

Having watched the game thanks to the BARTV broadcast it noted that an incident had been edited out and was awaiting match review. I really hope it wasn't anything violent.

As for the game, the WS boys were just so much physically bigger and used it. The 22 who came on in the 2nd half really sparked things up.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Unfortunately, the piece that was edited out is unpleasant and caused a player significant injury. However, the NSWRU staff are well and truly onto it.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Really hoping we can get some rugby in Qld this weekend.
Any idea if they'd have make up games?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It mainly effects group C and in particular NQ.
After the weekend of the 14th you have the conference final, then the national final, followed by Easter which is the QLD v NSW game.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
I've heard that melb and act train three days a week as one town or state teams doesn't that give them a massive advantage? And defeat the point of discovering the most talented as opposed the most trained from top coaches ?????

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I've heard that melb and act train three days a week as one town or state teams doesn't that give them a massive advantage? And defeat the point of discovering the most talented as opposed the most trained from top coaches ?????
I think it's great that the unions in those two areas are taking the development of their kids seriously enough to devote the time and effort suggested. Judging by the early results they are going to be the teams to beat.
Personally, I'm disappointed with the effort the QRU Brisbane counterparts have put into date. Although Logan and GC seem to be taking it seriously.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I wasn't going to comment as I'm a parent of a Western player and know the injured player well. I didn't want to show bias.

What Rugbyfan 1246 says is pretty accurate. I will say I've seen the video evidence on something other than the back of a camera now and it wasn't punches. It was shoulder or similar.

For the record, the injured player has been cleared of serious injury.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
I wasn't going to comment as I'm a parent of a Western player and know the injured player well. I didn't want to show bias.

What Rugbyfan 1246 says is pretty accurate. I will say I've seen the video evidence on something other than the back of a camera now and it wasn't punches. It was shoulder or similar.

For the record, the injured player has been cleared of serious injury.

Glad to here he's ok!

sidelined

Frank Row (1)

The ACT teams draw from the whole of southern NSW and the ACT. Some boys have to travel 4-5 hours to train. Don't be mistaken it is a one town team. What you hear is incorrect, they are with the coaches twice a week. The local ACT boys are in the gym the other day.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Think you might be stretching it a bit considering the 15s squad only lists 3 from outside the Town. At best with 150km being the longest to travel.
Two coaching sessions and gym session still equates to 3 sessions.
Good luck to them, just makes it a bit silly when other sides only train once a week or for true regional teams twice in total before game day.
They should win with that amount of extra training and coaching. Good luck to them.

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
Think you might be stretching it a bit considering the 15s squad only lists 3 from outside the Town. At best with 150km being the longest to travel.
Two coaching sessions and gym session still equates to 3 sessions.
Good luck to them, just makes it a bit silly when other sides only train once a week or for true regional teams twice in total before game day.
They should win with that amount of extra training and coaching. Good luck to them.

The Brumbies side have been dominant at state champs for the past 3 years and correct me if I'm wrong, it's largely the same side at JGC. There's plenty of talent there and they are very well coached. I don't think their success can just be put down to a few weeks of three sessions a week over summer.

It seems obvious that ACT and Melbourne have very good programs that start much earlier and that they don't seem to struggle to attract and retain talent. If teams are only getting to train and play together a few times before they kick off into this comp it's probably indicative of a shoddy pathway, a new program and some challenges around logistics etc. Other codes seem to effectively harvest talent from the country... maybe we should be looking at them for ideas rather than throwing together teams that then get thumped every week.... having said that, I would have thought that regardless, all kids in the program have gained plenty from the coaching, mateship, camaraderie etc...

Coaching wise, my observations are the coaches are under-resourced on a huge scale in Sydney (is it the same around NSW?) - they're doing their best, but basic gear seems to be missing and has had to be begged, borrowed or gone without.... I don't think that's good enough for a program at this level... interested in other people's thoughts.

Animal

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree 100% with Thomo77. You can't fault a team or players for training harder than others. It could be argued that QLD and NSW have a massive advantage in terms of the pool of players available plus the advantage of drawn out schedules and home games. Some visiting teams play 5 games over a 7 day period.

I also cant see how you are able to select a squad of 25 players to represent your state (first time selection so there is no track record) and only get them to train once or twice prior to the comp. You may as well pick teams on the day or send your local club/school championship winners and have a barbarians rugby festival.

We must remember that these boys are playing in the own "RWC" and I don't think they are even worried about these issues. They just want to play rugby, have fun and win as many games as possible. All fair and square.

Best of luck to all teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.