• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU take over the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The basis of a very good team was seen in the Force in the last 20 minutes that I got to see of the Highlanders game. Even though they had no attack structures worth speaking about their application in defence and effort were outstanding. They deserve to be well coached, and it is a very great pity that Foley didn't sit back and learn the lessons that were there to be learnt after the Tahs debacle with Hickey. He has made the changes two years to late and the team is struggling to get up to the required skill levels.

With the Rebels being "bought" for the princely sum of -$6M in case you missed it that is a negative $6M paid for the team the Force could be rightly up in arms for anybody to make an sort of financially rationalisation argument for them to be moved in an attempt at sustainability. Mr Pulver has thrown that out the window totally. What TBH or Moonoo need to do is photocopy the new Rebel owner's business plan and submit it to the ARU with a purchase contract for -$8M ($2M distance and living in the place of sand and wind subsidy).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Fisher's at the Reds next year. (I wish)

Styles would be fine. Need to ditch MOC though I'm thinking and bring in somebody to run a backline development program, maybe Style's assistant at whatever NRC team he runs. Nothing wrong with your piggies and that is Fischer's big strength.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but my experience growing up in WA was that there's far more antagonism/rivalry directed at Victoria than Sydney or Queensland. Kind of in a similar vein to Australia/England relations.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok here is my plan:

1. Sack Michael Foley. I don't actually think he's a horrible coach, but he's had four years now and there has been no discernible progress. Let's move on.

2. Appoint Laurie Fisher. Give him the ability to build a team of coaches and build a world class program.

3. Look to recruit a promising young 10- there are a few around.

4. Give it a year or so to build, put an attractive style on the field and see if you can make some progress.

5. Help DHP, Godwin and Coleman develop into first choice Wallabies.

6. Hope this fresh new style can attract crowds, and more importantly sponsors.

It's all fairly speculative, and may involve a bit of cash to get Fisher. But that seems to me to be a half-decent broad strategy to get things moving.

Though I am typing this from the bus after a few beers, so I acknowledge it could be complete gibberish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You missed:

ARU to fund the coaching team and back office at the Force to reduce costs.

Fisher is also used as Wallabies forwards and scrum coach.

Cheika and Wallabies coaching team etc assist with some player and local development programs especially with the young promising 10!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but my experience growing up in WA was that there's far more antagonism/rivalry directed at Victoria than Sydney or Queensland. Kind of in a similar vein to Australia/England relations.

No antagonism towards Queensland. More pity. Definitely Victoria is more wanktastic than NSW.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the Wallabies already have a superior technical scrum coach in Ledesma....

Fisher is more of an all round forwards coach.

Maybe. Interestingly though until he dropped in on Cheika, no one in the Northern Hemisphere wanted him once he was sacked, and the Argies didn't want him involved.

M

Moono75

So here we are 16 pages into the discussion and despite the fact the ARU is still bailing out the Rebels and their private ownership model ($2.6 Mil) we are still hammering the Force. And yet we are still tagged as being introverted, having a chip on our shoulder against those in the East. We are pilloried in the media but can you blame us for our misgivings?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe. Interestingly though until he dropped in on Cheika, no one in the Northern Hemisphere wanted him once he was sacked, and the Argies didn't want him involved.

I can only go by results, and there can be no doubt that Ledesma would appear to be a greater scrummaging coach.............

M

Moono75

Have a read of this from the Australian (2 April) over your morning coffee: This is why you piss us off!
And why is there such a rush to be rid of the Force? Has there ever been a major sporting franchise set up in Australia with so little support from the governing body? Until this year, the Force hadn’t received one cent of assistance money from the ARU.

When finally they did ask for help in January, the ARU didn’t just give them the money — the way it had the Waratahs and Reds when it bailed them out. No, the Force were made to sell them their intellectual property.

In reality, it’s a meaningless gesture. In which case, why do it, other than to placate the endless critics who believe that any money sent to Perth could have been better spent in the heartland? So the ARU went ahead and demanded something in return. In practical terms, this means the ARU have the right to change the Force’s jersey, if they feel so inclined.

The ARU also finds itself on the defensive for basically ensuring that the private entrepreneur who took the Rebels off their hands, Andrew Cox, doesn’t fall over financially by giving him $6.2 million over five years.
Assuming the venture works — and presumably the ARU and Cox both have done their sums — why wouldn’t the ARU pay that money over five years when the Rebels have been losing, on average, $3.5m a season? After the five years is up, the club gets no extra help, aside from what all the other franchises receive.

When the AFL decided to set up Greater Western Sydney or the Gold Coast Suns, when it established the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane Lions, it took the long-term view and realised it would be paying out a lot of money before those clubs started paying their own way.

Perhaps the ARU’s reach did exceed its grasp but the deed is done now. To undo it, to tear down the Force or the Rebels and rub out the national footprint, would be sheer vandalism.

Already the Rebels are coming good on the field and while the Force suffer late in their matches from their lack of depth, the fact is that until a draft or some other talent-equalisation measure is introduced, they are fighting an unfair battle against the Brumbies and Tahs, who receive millions more in support in terms of top-up dollars.

There is, as well, the fact that without Melbourne TV viewers, and to a lesser degree those in Perth, the three original Australian Super Rugby clubs wouldn’t be receiving anything like the level of funding they now enjoy.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ok here is my plan:

1. Sack Michael Foley. I don't actually think he's a horrible coach, but he's had four years now and there has been no discernible progress. Let's move on.

2. Appoint Laurie Fisher. Give him the ability to build a team of coaches and build a world class program.

4. Give it a year or so to build, put an attractive style on the field and see if you can make some progress.

It's all fairly speculative, and may involve a bit of cash to get Fisher. But that seems to me to be a half-decent broad strategy to get things moving.

Though I am typing this from the bus after a few beers, so I acknowledge it could be complete gibberish...

Point 1. Agree
Point 2. Agree BUT HE WOULD HAVE TO ACCEPT IT
Point 3 Agree but who;s available
Point 4. Agree.
Point 5. Fuck that - sniffs of a reverse discrimination of other players. If they are good enough, fair enough !
Point 6. Agree

Enjoy the beers :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ok here is my plan:

Lol love Fisher, but we all gloss over he was sacked from the Brulmbies then re learned his trade under Jake White playing what every other state said was a god awful style... His an awesome coach though...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Have a read of this from the Australian (2 April) over your morning coffee: This is why you piss us off!
And why is there such a rush to be rid of the Force? Has there ever been a major sporting franchise set up in Australia with so little support from the governing body? Until this year, the Force hadn’t received one cent of assistance money from the ARU.

When finally they did ask for help in January, the ARU didn’t just give them the money — the way it had the Waratahs and Reds when it bailed them out. No, the Force were made to sell them their intellectual property.

In reality, it’s a meaningless gesture. In which case, why do it, other than to placate the endless critics who believe that any money sent to Perth could have been better spent in the heartland? So the ARU went ahead and demanded something in return. In practical terms, this means the ARU have the right to change the Force’s jersey, if they feel so inclined.

The ARU also finds itself on the defensive for basically ensuring that the private entrepreneur who took the Rebels off their hands, Andrew Cox, doesn’t fall over financially by giving him $6.2 million over five years.
Assuming the venture works — and presumably the ARU and Cox both have done their sums — why wouldn’t the ARU pay that money over five years when the Rebels have been losing, on average, $3.5m a season? After the five years is up, the club gets no extra help, aside from what all the other franchises receive.

When the AFL decided to set up Greater Western Sydney or the Gold Coast Suns, when it established the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane Lions, it took the long-term view and realised it would be paying out a lot of money before those clubs started paying their own way.

Perhaps the ARU’s reach did exceed its grasp but the deed is done now. To undo it, to tear down the Force or the Rebels and rub out the national footprint, would be sheer vandalism.

Already the Rebels are coming good on the field and while the Force suffer late in their matches from their lack of depth, the fact is that until a draft or some other talent-equalisation measure is introduced, they are fighting an unfair battle against the Brumbies and Tahs, who receive millions more in support in terms of top-up dollars.

There is, as well, the fact that without Melbourne TV viewers, and to a lesser degree those in Perth, the three original Australian Super Rugby clubs wouldn’t be receiving anything like the level of funding they now enjoy.
Who ever wrote that's a fucktard

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What he wrote is fine, IMO (the actual article can be found by searching):

Patience needed in debate over Australia’s five Super Rugby teams​

Status
Not open for further replies.