• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU wants to select who coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think it is really fair to say they are too arrogant to practise the basics. It is their job I'm sure they practise them nearly every day.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I do not believe the ARU would want Jake White coaching a franchise if they were selecting and would they encourage Laurie Fisher back.

The Brumbies would still be a basket case.

I worry that the ARU would have an 'Animal Farm' approach where some franchises are more equal than others.

1. Waratahs (see what happened when the NSWRU came out of administration) they voted off the ARU. The ARU would be sleeping with one eye open.
2. Reds son no 2
3. Rebels (ah the commercial possibilities)
4. Force (A good timezone for TV and junkets and pills for fuel)
5. Bastard son Brumbies

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
NOOOO this competition is too plastic and top down as it is, i want us to have more idependance and control, not the other way round. After a year in Europe experiencing their system of professional rugby, i've learned not to undersetimate the bigger attachment people here have to their pro rugby teams. Australia will never understand this while the ARU treat Super Rugby teams as just a development scheme for their cash cow Sponsor Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think it is really fair to say they are too arrogant to practise the basics. It is their job I'm sure they practise them nearly every day.

I remember Link talking about basic skill practise after watching the Crusaders warm up (lots of really basic work started slowly and then sped up)

He said when he first began the same catch and pass drills at the Tahs after a few minutes someone would choose to do a flick pass. He said it took ages to get the mindset accepted to keep it simple.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I remember Link talking about basic skill practise after watching the Crusaders warm up (lots of really basic work started slowly and then sped up)

He said when he first began the same catch and pass drills at the Tahs after a few minutes someone would choose to do a flick pass. He said it took ages to get the mindset accepted to keep it simple.

Only have to watch a wallabies game from the late 80's to mid 90's to see how much better their catch and pass skills were. Maybe we need our blokes to train with the old balls to reinforce those short passing and close ball support skills!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I do not believe the ARU would want Jake White coaching a franchise if they were selecting and would they encourage Laurie Fisher back.

The Brumbies would still be a basket case.

I worry that the ARU would have an 'Animal Farm' approach where some franchises are more equal than others.

1. Waratahs (see what happened when the NSWRU came out of administration) they voted off the ARU. The ARU would be sleeping with one eye open.
2. Reds son no 2
3. Rebels (ah the commercial possibilities)
4. Force (A good timezone for TV and junkets and pills for fuel)
5. Bastard son Brumbies

As I understand it and if it is indeed anything modelled after the NZRU, then the Franchises have a huge amount of autonomy to make key decisions. Its more a quasi-centralised system if anything.

Why wouldn't Jake White get the gig if he was best man for the job, just with an additional ARU person on the selection panel?

What the ARU needs is a really good Operations Manager sitting next to the talking head of O'Neill. Why don't they make a pitch for that AFL guy that is being head hunted by the NRL?

dangerousdave

Frank Nicholson (4)
Would they not have emerged if he wasn't around?

Would other coaches have started playing JOC (James O'Connor) for the Wallabies as young as Deans did? In my recollection Beale was kind of going nowhere and was out of shape until he had that great season for the Wallabies (2010?).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Would other coaches have started playing JOC (James O'Connor) for the Wallabies as young as Deans did? In my recollection Beale was kind of going nowhere and was out of shape until he had that great season for the Wallabies (2010?).

Maybe not, but other coaches might have moved him into the 12 jersey when gateau's form took an extended nose dive.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Australian Rugby Players (the pro ones) are too arrogant to just focus on the basics. In their own minds they're too gifted for that.
Good observation Louie.
With our Aussie culture, there seems to be a pattern to our historical success in sport, not just rugby.
We either have a 'hard arse take no prisoners' coach or a 'hard arse take no prisoners' leadership group of players, or both when we're at our best.
To have both coach and players with this approach would be ideal but we tend to still do well when we have one or the other.
Not much happens in our culture when we have today's situation where both our Wallaby coach and leadership group of players are 'nice'.
In Australian Rugby think Dwyer in 91, the leadership group (LG) in 99.
More broadly think Woodward & Eng LG in 2003, Jake White & SA LG in 2007, Henry & NZ LG in 2011, Bennett & Bronco's LG, Malthouse & Collingwood LG......hard arse coaches and hard arse player leadership groups WIN!
All teams that could also execute the basics exceptionally well.
Do you think the ARU has an understanding of what makes a coach successful with Australian sporting teams?

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm not convinced a combination of Cooper at 10 and O'Connor at 12 would be successful.

I can see it copping an absolute bollocking in defence.

I have always wanted to see O'Connor at 13, kind of like our version of Conrad Smith. With Tapuai on the rise,
10 Cooper 12 Tapuai 13 O'Connor could be a killer midfield.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
What the ARU needs is a really good Operations Manager sitting next to the talking head of O'Neill. Why don't they make a pitch for that AFL guy that is being head hunted by the NRL?

The NRL are reportedly offering $1 to $1.5mil for his services. Unlikely the ARU would want to pay (or afford) that.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The consensus seems to be that you need more than 3 months to do anything with S&C (not saying I believe that, but it's the line being pumped out) - so if we don't have a coordinated S&C programme, or at least certain goals that players must be achieving nation wide, then we have no hope against the likes of the ABs.

This is just the kind of change that a real top level head coach and supporting administration would have put in place years ago - like NZ did.

As it happens though, the reason this is in the media is as an agenda changer - from "Wallabies coaching is poor" to "If only we had better S15 coaching".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Isn't that part of Nuci's Job as boss of High Performance Unit?

Setting the standards and expectations for entry into Club Wallaby.

T

TOCC

I don't believe that it's a requirement to appoint a coach to manage the S&C of all the players in Australia..

We can see that the Reds in 2011 and Brumbies in 2012 were two of the fittest teams in the comp.. The knowledge and will to achieve the required conditioning levels is present within Australian Rugby, it's just not known/understood by all.

If anything, it might be wise to pool resources and share some of the information to other provinces in addition to a means of implementing it...

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I don't believe that it's a requirement to appoint a coach to manage the S&C of all the players in Australia..

We can see that the Reds in 2011 and Brumbies in 2012 were two of the fittest teams in the comp.. The knowledge and will to achieve the required conditioning levels is present within Australian Rugby, it's just not known/understood by all.

If anything, it might be wise to pool resources and share some of the information to other provinces in addition to a means of implementing it.
Aerobic fitness is one piece but what about injury prevention, recovery methodology, performing at altitude, lack of strength in our scrums etc etc etc ?
These areas are the 1%'rs that professional sporting organisations develop and share with no one, so as not to lose their competitive advantage.
The Swans have had major strength & conditioning advantages, developed by their sports doctor, with their playing roster for years that other AFL clubs would kill for.
Can you ever foresee the Waratahs seeking advice from the Brumbies or the Reds offering help to the Force in S&C?

Status
Not open for further replies.